Intermittent fuel gauge problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCL79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the other day I took off on a quick trip of 75 miles or so in my 2014 3500 flatbed with a 6.4. Showed a little better than a quarter tank of 50 gal. Figured I'd fill up at leisure as range showed 130. About 20 miles in all of a sudden I see the gauge going down slowly and the range declining about 3 to 4 miles per travelled mile. Started looking for fluid on pavement or any visible signs of loss. None. Just for security sake stopped and put 25 gallons in and it went up and then started declining again. Weird. Stopped at my destination and parked running for 10-15 minutes and it’s up to 3/4 tank when I get back in. Starts declining on way home about 1/2 way. Stop when I get back and fill up and gauge goes to empty. Started truck today and shows full. Just had truck to dealer a couple weeks ago and they did some recall stuff including a computer update? Could this be a cause of my problem or am I looking at something else? Anyone else seen something like this?

Last edited:

jbmaverick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
The problem is the fuel sensor/pump. Apparently it's a common issue that SHOULD BE A RECALL! See other thread here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/fuel-gauge-stopped-working-only-displays-empty.150927/

The problem with my fuel gauge in my 2017 2500 Cummins with 55k miles started a couple weeks ago when it would just drop to empty. I'd fill it up and it would only take maybe 10 gallons. Took it to the dealership and they found the fuel pump completely cracked/separated (see attached). Was in the shop for 2 days and cost $1,030 for parts, labor and gas to repair (no warranty coverage on it). The dealership said if I had let it go another week, I would have had to have the truck towed in. I reported this as a safety issue to the NHTSA at https://www.nhtsa.gov/.

Attachments

• IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 2