Is Dodge trying too hard to impress us with the new Charger EV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Who's this for? The loud pipes save lives crowd who also wants an EV? You want *other people* to hear the noise and be 'impressed' why now? Faking/adding sound to the interior of the vehicle is certainly not new. Sound tubes, using the built in stereo speakers, etc. to amplify or enhance the exhaust note in the passenger compartment while still maintaining reduction of undesired ambient noise, I get that even if it's not necessarily my thing.

Car makers know the sound is part of the experience, but it's the driver's experience. This, to broadcast fake engine noise to onlookers, I don't get at all.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This a video of the exhaust sounds they are making that electric thing produce... I just can't I am sorry. What are your thoughts?

Electric exhaust sounds. <<< Ignorant, on a good day. Not to mention annoying as h...

As for EVs, SMH.

That said. Folks buy what they WANT. Feds, stay out of folks lives and auto manufacture decisions.

Let the market run free.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would have thought part of the benefit of an EV is being whisper quiet, like a golf cart, LOL. I was wrong though. My son bought a Chevy Bolt a year ago, and one time I had to pick it up someplace and drive it home for him. I was surprised that there was NO additional quietness at all. The main cause of noise in a little vehicle like that is the tire noise, wind noise, and just the road noise that is transmitted through the unibody. It sounded just like a gas engine car of that size, except when it was driven very slowly, such as across a parking lot. Once you were underway it was still noisy.

The Charger is a much better-quality vehicle than the Bolt, so it shouldn't have as much background noise. But I still suspect the driving experience isn't what they wanted. The added fake exhaust noise may be masking other less pleasant noise.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The added fake exhaust noise may be masking other less pleasant noise.

I'd agree if it was in the interior of the vehicle and not a 126 decibel "share it with the neighborhood" external system.

Reminds me of South Park:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The local club did a tour today,and we were up at over 7,000 ft,and i have to admit that's where the EV's do shine,as the gas powered toys were down on power alot,but the EV's never changed.I'm no fan of an EV,but if i was racing at 7,000+ ft,they would stay alot more consistent.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
In the early EV days there was concern about blind pedestrians not being able to hear an EV approaching. Not sure if that is still a concern.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
In the early EV days there was concern about blind pedestrians not being able to hear an EV approaching. Not sure if that is still a concern.

NHTSA has been pushing for some sort of warning tone at low speeds for awhile now, not just due to the blind but also just generally distracted people and obstructed views. I don't recall the numbers or source any longer, but EVs were disproportionately overrepresented in parking lot auto/pedestrian crashes by a significant margin.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think they finally voted that under 20mph an EV must utilize their external sound system to repeat "Neutered vehicle approaching" in a non-robot voice.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I think they finally voted that under 20mph an EV must utilize their external sound system to repeat "Neutered vehicle approaching" in a non-robot voice.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a remote control truck that had electronic exhaust sounds.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No thanks. In the 80’s most of my buddies had nitro R/C cars/trucks. But we had that one guy that had electric R/C car. And while the instant torque was great , he’d change the battery 3-5 times to hang with the nitro cars. And every time the batteries were so hot he couldn’t touch the one in the car to change it. He basically would dump the battery out. And after seeing what lithium battery components (lithium metal) does when water is added. Nope! Don’t care if they make it sound like a F-22. If they are gonna add sound to an electric car it should sound like a 2-Stroke ring dinger. IMO . Lol

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No thanks. In the 80’s most of my buddies had nitro R/C cars/trucks. But we had that one guy that had electric R/C car. And while the instant torque was great , he’d change the battery 3-5 times to hang with the nitro cars. And every time the batteries were so hot he couldn’t touch the one in the car to change it. He basically would dump the battery out. And after seeing what lithium battery components (lithium metal) does when water is added. Nope! Don’t care if they make it sound like a F-22. If they are gonna add sound to an electric car it should sound like a 2-Stroke ring dinger. IMO . Lol
But wait, is there a F-22 option? If that's in the $45-50k range, I might need a F-22. I'd also be in the market for a similarly priced A-10 (must include GAU-8 Avenger, with at least one burst-length chain).200.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KW_RAM