Is there any tri8cks to finding a noisey lifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 5.7 hemi has a cold start lifter tick (lasts about 2-3 second) on most cold starts (maybe 50% of the time).
I think it depends on the lifter being compressed when the engine stops.
Using a stethoscope, I can't really tell what side it is on.

Are there any tricks (like flywheel position) to at least determine which lifter are under compression before starting the truck?
Or any tricks in general to isolate the lifter?

Thanks,

Dan

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The start up tick is normal only last few seconds change your oil every 4k.I have never lifters still does it its the mds ones they deflate also A manifold leak usually doesnt go away or lessen for a few mins.

OP
OP
dpinvidic

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This engine only has 3K miles on it, I don't think I should be seeing this so soon. Also, It really sounds like a single lifter....so I think that if one out of 16 lifters leaks down, there might be something wrong with it.....just not comfortable with this not being a problem 3 years from now.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pull the valve covers ,turn engine over and look carefully for any rockers that are not moving as much as all the others.
Have you checked for any codes ?

MOPAR TECH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DEPENDING ON LIFTER NOISE OR HOW BAD IT IS I USE A STETHOSCOPE AND LISTEN THROUGH VALVE COVER OR EXHAUST BUT IF YOU A NOISE I WOULD REC REPLACING ALL LIFTERS BEFORE IT DAMAGES YOUR CAMSHAFT

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
look up lubrication threads in my sig see poll results, high performance oils have formulas ram forum has proved beneficial to killing hemi tick at a high rate, redline 5w30 80% kills ticks, lube gard biotech 50% of the time, see threads and pair with good filter

ester oil with high molybdenum coat metal = stops most ticks. both strategies are ester oil with moly.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My '15 will do this every time if it has been short-tripped, like driving to my in-laws 1-1/2 blocks away.

It has done this the whole time I have had it from 28,684 miles (she now has 192,000+ miles as I type this).

If I rev the engine to about 2k rpm and then shut it off, it does not happen.

I do try to remember to do it when I go there, because it sounds like sh*t and makes me cringe if I forget....lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How much effort is required to check torque on the exhaust manifold bolts?

I like to start troubleshooting and repairs with the least amount of effort, call me lazy. :cool:

Once you remove the heat shields the bolts are pretty easy to get at.