Japanese Car Makers - Not Perfect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I got a notice of "settlement" from Mazda for wife's 2021 CX-5 crossover with 2.5L turbo 4 engine.

Appears they got a little carried away with reducing internal engine friction for the almighty EPA max fuel economy by choosing valve stem seals that don't seal well, causing oil to be consumed past the stem into the cylinders. Especially problematic with a turbocharged engine that produces higher crankcase pressure from higher blowby, hence higher pressure in the valve galley as well.

I say this because the settlement shows they've already changed seals on new production, implicit admission of a problem.

I haven't driven a turbo spark engine before, so thought this was just the way it is - consuming 1/2 quart oil every 2,500 miles in mixed driving using the recommended 5W-30 vis PUP. We don't wait around until the oil level is low enough to cause a warning light or whatever they have now.

None of my other gas engines consumes oil like this, most are nearly indiscernible oil consumption per dipstick oil level @ 5,000 mile OCI.

Of course, now the Dealer is trying to get out of doing the work. Classic Japanese culture - do most things exceedingly well, but when a problem does happen, deny the hell out of it for as long as you can. If they ever get cornered, then it's all so sorry and hari kari and all that. Culture is as strange as ours in USA.