Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,004 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 668 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
They posted the sale on bitog.

This is far more your area than mine, I know diddly squat about oil so I wouldn't read too much into my random thoughts. All I have to work from are the UOA's, and my ears, and more than one person has said that sound isn't necessarily indicative of wear.

But if there are several great choices available to me and one sounds quieter, I'll pick the one that sounds better to me. My engine definitely got noisy again this summer (no vii), if it gets quiet again in the winter when I run PCMO then I'll have 4 back to back tests which go:
no vii = noisier (last summer), pcmo = quieter (last winter), no vii = nosier (where we are now), and pcmo = quieter (to be tested in the fall/winter).

All this (noisy vs quiet) is only on that initial cold start, even on a hot summer day. When any of the premium oils I've tried are hot and my truck is idling, they're all buttery smooth and quiet for the most part, I couldn't possibly say with any certainty if I noticed one being noiser than the other. Only that cold start because it's so obvious that something is making noise that "shouldn't be there" IMHO.

So, are you done with Red Line?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So, are you done with Red Line?

I joined this forum 5 years ago because of my engine making more noise than I thought it should. Found bitog, Burla's helpful posts there led me to this forum, and I started using RL. It definitely quieted my engine when hot (just general valve train noises), that's when I started believing that oil can make a difference in how an engine sounds.

But nothing got rid of my cold start knocking noise so I kept trying different things. Different filters, different viscositys (RL 0w-30, 5w-20, 5w-30), no change in that cold start. Tried Mobil 1 0w-40 with a shot of LG, no change. HPL was mentioned here/bitog so gave it a shot, first the P+ as its literally designed for extreme cold start performance. No change. Tried no vii, no change.

Also dealing with ping, my mechanic asked me what I'm running so I told him 5w-30 and he said to run 5w-20 for a few months and see again.

So expecting to throw the oil out quite soon when I knew the ping wouldn't go away, I found the cheapest HPL 5w-20 available (PCMO) and ran that, and that's when I discovered my cold start was so much improved, pretty much gone and have to listen very closely and then it's like "was that a knock??" maybe, maybe not, hard to say.

I don't know why the one oil sounds so much better, but if that's what it takes then that's what I run. I just need to confirm that the PCMO 5w-30 brings better wear results than the PCMO 5w-20 did because some numbers went up a little which could be either the formula or the viscosity, my gut says viscosity but won't know until this time next year after that test is over.

I have one batch of RL 5w-30 sitting in storage on my shelf. It's the old formula because it was purchased several years ago now, and if I ever get some hot idle ticking then it gets put in to see what that does.

You can hear the noise I'm talking about in this video here. I couldn't tell you what it is, piston slap maybe? I just want it gone.

Tony Donato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can hear the noise I'm talking about in this video here. I couldn't tell you what it is, piston slap maybe? I just want it gone.
That's a broken exhaust manifold bolt, most likely on the passenger side. I had one, it sounded exactly like that, and it drove me crazy. I tried different oils, including Red Line 5W-30, but nothing made it go away.

My broken bolt was one that was also a stud for the exhaust heat shield. With the engine cold, I got underneath the truck and sure enough, the heat shield was moving and I could see the broken bolt moving with the heat shield.

Now, if one of the broken bolts is not also a stud for the heat shield, then you may need to take the head shield off to find it and confirm. And if it's on the driver's side, then it's even more difficult. But 90% of the time it's the passenger side. This happens mostly because whoever assembled the right side of the engine at their Mexico plant didn't torque the bolts evenly.

The fix for this is to purchase a new Mopar exhaust manifold (don't buy the Dorman version, it won't last) and all new bolts. Then torque them to 19 ft-lb (not 18) in the correct sequence. If you don't have it, I can look it up for you. I had a 3-day subscription to Tech Authority back when I did mine.

After I replaced my passenger side exhaust manifold that rhythmed "taka-taka-tatata-taka-taka" sound in the video went away.

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
picked up some super tech 5w40 euro for my next oil change in 2k kms. 28.88$ per 5 litres in Walmart Canada
the pennzoil 5w40 euro that I usually buy has been steadily increasing in price recently.
interested to use this oil for the first time. almost warrants a UOA haha
20240630_203709.jpg20240630_203740.jpg

Tony Donato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
picked up some super tech 5w40 euro for my next oil change in 2k kms. 28.88$ per 5 litres in Walmart Canada
the pennzoil 5w40 euro that I usually buy has been steadily increasing in price recently.
interested to use this oil for the first time. almost warrants a UOA haha
For the HEMI it will work the same as Pennzoil Euro 5W-40. No worries, and no reason to waste money on a UOA.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
One gallon is $58.59 with this seller, not $14.95. The seller lists a quart @ $14.95. maybe I misread your post?

Yes, read again, please. I normalized the gallon price to a quart since that's what we're familiar with.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
John Forces latest crash, dam bud,,, Nobody ever will come close to what this dude has done, it's a sign, what more can you possibly do?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
John Forces latest crash, dam bud,,, Nobody ever will come close to what this dude has done, it's a sign, what more can you possibly do?

Yeah, saw that last night at Summit Series in Ohio. Finally caught him.

I mean, wtf who is racing Top Fuel at his age in this era? I saw one touch 337 mph last night.
FFS - airliner takeoff speed is something like 180 mph!

Tony Donato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Se we still changing screen names and hiding our identities?
I don't hold grudges and I believe in the power of reconciliation. I have never harbored any ill feelings towards you or anyone else here. In fact, I’ve always valued the camaraderie within this community. I think it would be great if we both made an effort to get along better. Our collective knowledge is far more valuable than exchanging light-hearted memes. Don't you agree that fostering mutual respect and understanding is the key to a more enriching and collaborative environment?

Tony Donato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I couldn't help myself.
Oh forum friend, your RAM's a beast,
Until that lifter dropped, and it ceased.
Your HEMI ticked like a bomb in disguise,
Now your engine's toast, what a surprise!

"Goodbye, dear engine," you wept in dismay,
"Guess my RAM's taking a sick day!"
Fear not, my friend, for engines can mend,
Next time, let's hope it’s just gas you spend!

deadhemi.jpg