Labor time to drain fuel tank on 2015?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yooper600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have worked in automotive dealerships pretty much my entire life. I got some bad fuel. Dealer is charging me $944 to drain and put in 5 gallons of gas. I know on other manufacturers, it’s about 1-2 hrs labor to drain/ refill. When I made the appointment, I was told it was a $200 diagnostic fee, but if I choose to have the work performed there, that charge would come off. Does anyone have the manufacturers labor time to drain/fill a 2015 Ram Big Horn crew cab 5.7? Even just the Mitchell time guide would help. I’ve looked online and cannot find one. So if labor is $200/h, roughly 4 hrs then taxes/shop supplies? That seems pretty hefty.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What do you legally do with bad gas? The bill seams a little hefty that I will give you, but I would gladly pay 1k for that job as long as I didn't have to do it. It only takes one bit of stray current and whoever has that is gonna die a horrible death. The one rub on the old bronco's was you had to replace fuel pump while standing on carpet and opening the tank. I know of one story where that guy who did that died a real crappy death. I would think at a minimum that should be 500 bucks, but ad dealer markup, eh it sounds about right, next time use an independent?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have worked in automotive dealerships pretty much my entire life. I got some bad fuel. Dealer is charging me $944 to drain and put in 5 gallons of gas. I know on other manufacturers, it’s about 1-2 hrs labor to drain/ refill. When I made the appointment, I was told it was a $200 diagnostic fee, but if I choose to have the work performed there, that charge would come off. Does anyone have the manufacturers labor time to drain/fill a 2015 Ram Big Horn crew cab 5.7? Even just the Mitchell time guide would help. I’ve looked online and cannot find one. So if labor is $200/h, roughly 4 hrs then taxes/shop supplies? That seems pretty hefty.

Just like any work, buyer beware and call around for quotes to compare. :cool:

As I confirmed again, a few weeks ago, all dealership prices, professionalism, and competency are nowhere near equal just because they fly the same banner.

I've had gas tanks and internal fuel pumps changed in the '80s and I've always found a reasonable price to pay, so someone else could deal with the risks involved.

Like Burla, I want nothing to do with that task beyond arranging the work. :cool:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just like any work, buyer beware and call around for quotes to compare. :cool:

As I confirmed again, a few weeks ago, all dealership prices, professionalism, and competency are nowhere near equal just because they fly the same banner.

I've had gas tanks and internal fuel pumps changed in the '80s and I've always found a reasonable price to pay, so someone else could deal with the risks involved.

Like Burla, I want nothing to do with that task beyond arranging the work. :cool:

Right, think about what Mopar meant even ten years ago and what it stands for today. Net Zero by 2038? No thanks, that doesn't earn my loyalty. Hard to get excited about a brand when we all will be comparing EV features sometime soon. The only job I go to dealer for, exhaust bolts, if someone is going to drill through my coolant lines, let it be the dealer.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I helped my uncle change a fuel pump in his early 00s chevy 2500, that although has really low miles has spent its entire life in WI so it had some rust, whole job took almost 4 hours. The first hour was siphoning the roughly 3/4 tank since he just filled up the previous day (34 gallon tank it had iirc). I'd be calling different places if I were you.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can't siphon out the tanks on new vehicles with the anti-siphon valves. What I would do is remove the line from your fuel rail put an extension hose to a tank and turn on the key and let the pump do the work. Hopefully you don't have a full tank?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible the quote assumes two technicians required to complete the work?

In recent years I've seen two versions of removing fuel from a tank. One is to raise the front of the bed to allow removal of the pump, and then siphon out the fuel.

Another, version is raising the vehicle and lowering the tank onto a transmission hoist where the tank is lowered for access to the pump and siphoning.

I think both techniques require some use of two people.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 115670 miles.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Back in the good old days on the farm , we would use it to wash off parts, you could also use it in old tractors , as those will run on anything other then water.
I use to have a cleaning gun that used gas or whatever in it. don't use inside.
But in Town they get kind of picky on this stuff.
One time I had a truck with a 1/4 inch value in lower corner of gas tank to run standby power plant that just had a 1 gallon gas tank. still thinking on the idea with this truck.

BTW 900.oo sound a bit much to me. I watched a video of Rain Man Rays repairs where he has dropped a full gas tank on Ram with trans jack by himself.
I tried to see if you could get a hose down the fill cap and now way to do that.

Last edited:

pakuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a retired Chrysler dealer Service Manager. When we encountered your situation the labor was not the most cost, it was the disposal of the bad fuel, which if memory serve me it was over $400.00

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kind of bad gas did you get? Water?? I mean it's not 1975 anymore, not only is the gas cleaner but there are also filters on each pump before it comes out of the nozzle. Who is telling you it's bad gas and how was that determined?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What would happen, IF ..

You jack up the Left Rear corner of the vehicle .
Remove the Left Rear Wheel & Tire .
Remove the Left Rear Inner Fender .
Disconnect the Fuel Fill Tube Hose at the Fuel Tank & possibly at both ends.

Is there something like an anti-syphon device in the tank itself at that point ?

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What would happen, IF ..

You jack up the Left Rear corner of the vehicle .
Remove the Left Rear Wheel & Tire .
Remove the Left Rear Inner Fender .
Disconnect the Fuel Fill Tube Hose at the Fuel Tank & possibly at both ends.

Is there something like an anti-syphon device in the tank itself at that point ?
No there's not, it's in the fill tube. That's not a bad idea you have there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GJWest