Looking for a little help diagnosing my problem…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Collin juoni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 06 ram 1500 5.7 sport lately it has been having some trouble with what suspect to be transmission related i have not yet been able to scan it or get it scanned my scanner will not do transmission codes unfortunately.

so i figured id ask here first maybe someone else has had a common experience.

The problem is while driving lately it will chime multiple times signifying check engine or whatever code it is throwing and sometimes typically in the morning after sitting overnight my speedo will drop to 0 then it will feel as if it has half the power and get jerky as if a power surge. At first i thought maybe a misfire problem of sorts or water in fuel maybe throttle body? but it went away for a week and now its doing it again though without power surge feeling just constant chimes. It will also disable the cruise control when it happens. an additional problem to this is i have no actual check engine light i suspect someone removed it, pinched it or its burnt out so i have no idea which trouble lights work and which don't at the moment, i do know there is a simple test that can be done for the lights and gauges just have not done yet. I have a video of the gauges while the problem is happening but not sure how to post it in here… Any help would be greatly appreciated

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like the tach was dead the whole time. I'm guessing an instrument cluster failure or compromised wiring to it is at least part of the issue. Start simple. Check both ends of both battery cables. Make sure nothing is corroded and make sure both ends of both cables are properly terminated and tightened.