looking for info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As the title says, looking for info on the 5.7 e-torque vs the regular 5.7 .... Are they interchangeable if the e-torque stuff is stripped off? I'm thinking of buying a 5.7 for my 2012 but the only decent low miler is the e-torque model.
Thanks

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Will be interested to see what the answer to this is. Never had an E-Torque or worked on one, but just off the top, this sounds like it would be way more work and trouble than it was worth. A crate engine is about $3,000 plus install, which is how I think I would go.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will be interested to see what the answer to this is. Never had an E-Torque or worked on one, but just off the top, this sounds like it would be way more work and trouble than it was worth. A crate engine is about $3,000 plus install, which is how I think I would go.
I'm curious as to where you will find a crate engine for $3,000, if I could find one I'd be all over it.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm curious as to where you will find a crate engine for $3,000, if I could find one I'd be all over it.

Would be interesting to get crate engine for that price. Usually starts around $6K US (sale Price normally $8K) for crate plus any extra stuff.

Maybe he meant for remand Engine, or has special source.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would be interesting to get crate engine for that price. Usually starts around $6K US (sale Price normally $8K) for crate plus any extra stuff.

Maybe he meant for remand Engine, or has special source.
Even for a reman I seriously doubt the $3000 price tag, unless all the replacement parts are pure Chinesium. Good quality parts ain't cheap. For example, the MDS lifter sets are close to $1500.00 from Mopar parts, then there all of the other parts. Lifters, other than the Mopar ones are junk. There is too much work involved to put cheap parts in that engine.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Three grand is a bargain if the engine turns out to be a decent one! I agree with you, unless the OP is concerned with numbers matching. I think not!

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

https://www.onestopgoatshop.com/

Your tag indicates you're in Ontario, Canada.
If you're looking for new, perhaps this business could help.
They may be able to also track down a good used one as well.
I'd be happy with a good used engine. A new one would obviously be great but, I guess I could always rebuild the one I have. I was just looking to save some time. Thank you for the info.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Three grand is a bargain if the engine turns out to be a decent one! I agree with you, unless the OP is concerned with numbers matching. I think not!
Not concerned about numbers matching, just don't want to start it up to discover I bought one with a tick.
Looks like I'm back to building my own.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

https://www.onestopgoatshop.com/

Your tag indicates you're in Ontario, Canada.
If you're looking for new, perhaps this business could help.
They may be able to also track down a good used one as well.
Damn they've either really jumped in price in the last 2 weeks,or you guys out east are getting the Trudeau treatment,as those engines are about 6G on our local market place.The last time i looked at them,was a couple weeks ago at most.

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Damn they've either really jumped in price in the last 2 weeks,or you guys out east are getting the Trudeau treatment,as those engines are about 6G on our local market place.The last time i looked at them,was a couple weeks ago at most.
Good ol'e Ontario take it with no grease pricing for sure ;)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
reman versus crate, what is the difference? Crate doesn't mean what it once did. If you want top quality new block you want blueprinted "crate" engines. Anything else is just a rebuild.

why are you abandoning your engine, crack?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Have you checked lately? Prices have been increasing. Around here anyway.

OP
OP
H

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
reman versus crate, what is the difference? Crate doesn't mean what it once did. If you want top quality new block you want blueprinted "crate" engines. Anything else is just a rebuild.

why are you abandoning your engine, crack?
Lifter tick and I'm just plain tired of it. I have some driveability issues that I'm now led to think it is part of the cam problem. When it comes to " blueprinting" ... I can do a decent job of that myself. It is after all essentially, just building to manufacturer's specs.
This isn't the first engine that I've built but I've been retired for near 18 years. Still have a decently equipped shop.
It is just at my age, I'd prefer to be doing something else.