Loud tick after installing cat back super 10 system 2015 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bitdrive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed cat back tuesday, I drove it home, was fine. I finally had time and went for a drive, I opened it up on a back road and I heard something odd. I could also smell something different too. Maybe the dirt burning off the pipe after install? Anyway, I pulled over and its a very loud distinct tick. I think I have the hemi tick.

I'm of course cursing myself for installing an exhaust when everything was going just fine.

I am going to the shop that installed it and have a talk with them.

I can also feel a slugish in the power.

So disappointed, ups and downs of life I guess. I am going to pull on the heat shield and have another look/listen when it cools down.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did they weld in the new system or use clamps? Possibly its just a bad install causing your ticking. It will smell more like fuel when you install a flow through muffler system. It also may seem sluggish until the computer figures out the new muffler configuration. You could reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for at least 30min. You may need to run the truck again a see if you can figure out if the ticki g is coming from the engine or the new exhaust. My guess its a exhaust leak.

OP
OP
B

bitdrive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they weld in the new system or use clamps? Possibly its just a bad install causing your ticking. It will smell more like fuel when you install a flow through muffler system. It also may seem sluggish until the computer figures out the new muffler configuration. You could reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for at least 30min. You may need to run the truck again a see if you can figure out if the ticki g is coming from the engine or the new exhaust. My guess its a exhaust leak.
They welded in the new system. Yes, I hardly drove it, and the batt never was disconnected to reset. I am hoping it is manifold bolts. I've got an appointment with the shop my company take all our fleet hi rail and personal trucks the owners drive too on Tuesday and they are a great shop. I'm very happy it happened here, cause they're a familiar shop we use. Tuesday it's booked at 8 am and we'll take a look.

I haven't driven it in 9 days. As soon as I heard it tick, I turned around (20 mins away) and came right back to my hotel I'm in and parked it. The next morning I did fire it up and it was still there - so I've left it off.

I'm looking at the new hardened bolts info for the exhaust manifold on the forums here, a new gasket and short headers then I saw your reply. Thanks for the suggestion of removing the battery to reset the cpm. Would that be air/fuel? Or what exactly you think?

This truck is my dream truck I've wanted since 2015. And just bought it in October of last year. I've put a lot of work effort and money into it and she's a beauty. Really is my pride and joy.

I'm exactly halfway through school getting my ticket for crane and boom trucks right and have had to take cabs all week during practical. We're back online next week.

Here's some photos of the day I bought it, and what she looks like now. I love my truck so much and can't wait to hear her again

Attachments

• first day truck.jpg
    first day truck.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 4
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Now truck.jpg
    Now truck.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 4

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They welded in the new system. Yes, I hardly drove it, and the batt never was disconnected to reset. I am hoping it is manifold bolts. I've got an appointment with the shop my company take all our fleet hi rail and personal trucks the owners drive too on Tuesday and they are a great shop. I'm very happy it happened here, cause they're a familiar shop we use. Tuesday it's booked at 8 am and we'll take a look.

I haven't driven it in 9 days. As soon as I heard it tick, I turned around (20 mins away) and came right back to my hotel I'm in and parked it. The next morning I did fire it up and it was still there - so I've left it off.

I'm looking at the new hardened bolts info for the exhaust manifold on the forums here, a new gasket and short headers then I saw your reply. Thanks for the suggestion of removing the battery to reset the cpm. Would that be air/fuel? Or what exactly you think?

This truck is my dream truck I've wanted since 2015. And just bought it in October of last year. I've put a lot of work effort and money into it and she's a beauty. Really is my pride and joy.

I'm exactly halfway through school getting my ticket for crane and boom trucks right and have had to take cabs all week during practical. We're back online next week.

Here's some photos of the day I bought it, and what she looks like now. I love my truck so much and can't wait to hear her again
Nice looking ride. I hope its not the bolts I always like to try the easy stuff first. I had a issue in one of my challengers that it was sluggish after a exhaust install and resetting the computer fixed that. Yes it will reset all parameters after at least 30min. I hope it works otherwise its probably the manifolds. I have been lucky with mine so far almost at 64k no issues. Goodluck and let us know when its fixed

CanuckRam1313

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Great looking rig!

Don't forget to check the intake manifold bolts, too ;)
They like to slack off and cause issues.

The adaptive learning takes some cycles of good driving to adopt changes.
Drive it like a HEMI needs to be driven and it'll likely sort itself out.

If your manifolds are leaking you could opt for shorty headers that bolt right up, or go long tubes.

If you go for the shorty's, then also consider having a custom y-pipe made up as well.
This is a real choke spot for our trucks with the factory y-pipe. A custom one really lets the engine breathe properly.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

The next time you have a shop do any welding on the truck,make sure they disconnect the battery before doing any welding.You can seriously fub^r the trucks electronics by welding on it with the battery still connected