Lube Job Stupidity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did my upper control arms the ball joints where dry making it sound terrible when you turn didnt even have any play in them yet.

DerickE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Gasser
You can always go and get one of the grease needle tips.....just make a small puncture to the boot. That is however, the beginning of the end.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep... I wouldn't puncture the boot unless it's a bandaid and you're planning on replacing a component soon. That tiny hole becomes a tear in fairly short order. If something's worn, replace it with a greaseable version.

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. My next question was to be "how do I get rid of the annoying squeaking?" I guess that'll be a rebuild. Thanks for the info.
I have an 09 1500, and online I read to spray Silicone Spray on all the rubber components you can find and that would help. So I did (this was 4 years ago) and I still haven't heard anymore squeaks since then. Hope this helps.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check sway bar. And ball joints . If it’s speaking it’s time to change

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spray that dry garage door graphite stuff on my door hinges.dry lube I guess it's called.works good on both doors and doesn't collect dust or dirt.

kwb377

Reaction score
Ram Year
'14 1500 4x4
Engine
The squeaking, creaking sounds are usually heard when i'm driving slowly over a speed bump or entering a driveway, or sometimes when I'm stepping out of the truck. Sounds like it's coming from the front end.

This was the exact noise/conditions when my lower balljoints went bad.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never had a boot tear after using a needle and have been using them for decades - have yet to lose a suspension part that has been lubed using a needle.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have never had a boot tear after using a needle and have been using them for decades - have yet to lose a suspension part that has been lubed using a needle.
We saw this a lot in the heavy truck dealership I worked for. It took very little to tear those boots, so I never advise it as a long term fix.

But... for a short term solution while you work on the permanent repair, it was usually ok. Maybe it's different on the light duty trucks.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
there are different size of needles, if you can't get under the end of the boot , use a real fine one.
Re the spray, if you don't have some one to bounce the truck, You could spray one bushing at a time or joint, then drive it, if it don't do it any more , you know where its' coming from

CaptCurt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 09 1500, and online I read to spray Silicone Spray on all the rubber components you can find and that would help. So I did (this was 4 years ago) and I still haven't heard anymore squeaks since then. Hope this helps.
Just remembered recently that if you want to get grease into the non grease zerks (ex- ball joints, tire rods, ext) they sale at auto stores a needle valve (looks like a larger medical blood needle, but connects right to your grease gun. I have one and I did all my connecting joints about 10 years ago, only need to puncture rubber with needle tip and give a few shots, don't want to expand rubber as the grease to come out. Mine still has the grease in that I pumped in, and never had a problem w/any of the connecting joints, and that's been approximately 60K miles ago.