lurking new ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tellmemore

Reaction score
Hi I am looking at getting a new to me truck and it happens to be a 2010 ram v6 with 100k. I know nothing about these trucks and was wondering how reliable these trucks are as daily drivers, what's mpg like for you, any common problems that I need to know before buying ect. Thanks in advance.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Low output engines, transmissions are iffy, mid-teens for MPG. Personally, unless I knew the service history first-hand, I'd steer clear of a 100k unit.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The mileage was much better when the ram got the 65rfe in the 1500 and not the 545, also need to know your gearing, if it is 3.55 you should get good mileage, especially with the v6. If I was looking for something old in a ram, I'd look for a 2012 hemi 6 speed with 3.92 gears. You do avoid common problems with the hemi with that engine suich as cam and lifters, which are less common with that truck. If you want to know the mileage fill up and take it for a 40 mile test drive, I would.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
14-city/20-hwy per EPA website, as a baseline for discussion.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My 545 has been getting 10mpg lately, never topped 14 just for discussion which was prior to upgrades and level. 2010 with 545 with 3.55's. The issue is with that year 2010 you have long gearing where you spend a lot of time in low rpm's especially in 3-4th gears. You would think going to 3.92's with 6 speed would give less mpg's but in fact it is exactly opposite, my friend with that combo gets 16 religiously. It is more efficient to avoid low rpm's and it puts the power down better at the wheel. If I knew I was gonna drive this truck this long already the longest vehicle ownership I have had now 15 years, you can bet bottom dollar I would have made sure I had 3.92 gears at a minimum, for many reasons.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram 101: When it comes to Rams, you have pre and post 2013's. 2013 was the mid-model refresh where Ram changed a lot of things. The front bumper/grille are different. It's almost like a different truck that looks similar to the early ones. Some of the electronics have been problematic e.g. the Electric Power Steering EPS and ABS. That doesn't mean ALL become flaky. The ZF 8-spd transmission was a big upgrade most agree on.

2012 was the last year of hydraulic steering and fewer/simpler electronics. Some people say they seem to have fewer issues. They are simpler which is kind of nice if you do your own maintenance. Early Rams sometimes suffered from a fuel pump relay issue.

2017 seemed to be another upgrade too where many of the 'issues' were 'fixed' or improved. So 2017+ is a good era too.

One issue which plagues Hemi engines are issues with warping exhaust manifolds. And breaking Exh manifold bolts. The 'fix' is to get the old ones which are heat-stressed, machined (rather than replaced with new). Another issue that 'can' occur is cam failures. Nobody knows how common it 'really' is, but you read a lot of posts here. There are a lot of high-mileage hemis out there too. The Hemi 'tick' is kind of an annoyance. You definitely want to use a high quality oil if you get a Hemi..like Penzoil Ultra Platinum or similar. The V6's are not as peppy but they're pretty rock solid with a couple bugaboos. 3rd brake light leaks (into the cab) are somewhat common. Easy fix with a new foam piece. WIN modules (where the key goes) is another issue... and a DIY fix usually. These are just things to know about, not necessarily deal-breakers. Every mfgr has weaknesses. Overall they're great pickups.

What kind of driving do you do the most? And is that 2010 a 2wd or 4x4? That affects mileage.

I bought my truck with over 150k mi on the clock several yrs ago. Pretty much all highway miles. It's been super reliable (so far..knock on wood), I like it a lot. RC/LB.

Last edited:

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mileage was much better when the ram got the 65rfe in the 1500 and not the 545, also need to know your gearing, if it is 3.55 you should get good mileage, especially with the v6. If I was looking for something old in a ram, I'd look for a 2012 hemi 6 speed with 3.92 gears. You do avoid common problems with the hemi with that engine suich as cam and lifters, which are less common with that truck. If you want to know the mileage fill up and take it for a 40 mile test drive, I would.

The 545rfe and the 65rfe are the same transmission with slightly different software, access to 2P in manual mode is the difference. Gear ratios are the same.

A 2010 2wd Hemi with the 545 is rated 14/20 MPG the same as a 2012 withe the 65RFE.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, I have a 2010 and I have never came close to 20 mpg's with 3.55's and 4wd, not even 15 mpg's. The issue with low rpm in 3rd and 4th, and missing the 6 gear hurts on freeway mileage. The 3.92's erases a lot of the low rpm garbage as my pal has 3.92/6 and he does see those numbers. With respect to the ratings, if I saw 20 mpg on the freeway with cruise on I would likely have a heart attack on the spot from happiness. I don't think it is a one truck issue either, I have not heard anyone with my set up getting those numbers. But I keep an open mind, thanks for reply.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Low rpm good one top end for mileage but it is horrible for mileage when the engine bogs as the 3.55's with the 545rfe is known for. It might be as easy as changing the shift points, but OEM shift points are horrible for mpg, I live it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 Hemi RC/LB 4x4 averages 16.3 MPG (hand calculated). My much older 9 5.7L RCSB 4x4 averages 16.5.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
what gears on 09?

My bad, that was a mis-type. I meant to write '89 GMC. Me and my fat fingers!

The point I was trying to make is older EFI trucks weren't much worse (or better).

The OP should probably take a look at his/her driving/hauling situation and truck needs and figure out what works best for them.