More carburetor problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone,
I spent all day yesterday rebuilding the carburetor on my 86 power ram 318. I got it all back together and put on the truck. Now it only starts it I pump the accelerator pedal to squirt some gas down in there and it only runs for a few seconds. I don't know if I hooked up all the hoses right. There still is one open spot on the carburetor for a hose and I can't find a hose to fit on it. I can't find a fuel system diagram anywhere online so I mostly just had to guess where the hoses went. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, David

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If it has the factoory holley google it, there are lots of schematics for it.

Just a suggestion for next time, especially if you don't have a service manual, use masking or painters tape to mark and label all hoses, connections etc. Taking pictures with your phone BEFROE you start taking stuff apart helps a whole bunch too.

Just to help out in this case, assuming it is the stock carv, the hose for that opening should come off your air cleaner and plug onto that port

also
, you need to put the spring loaded clamp in the right place up against the carb so it seals that hose, it isnt doing anything where it is at now. If that other hose that goes to the pcv sucks enough air the car won't run.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
How did you make out getting it to run?

OP
OP
David Vandercook
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got it running like a top after some more trys. Discovered that that extra spot was for an automatic choke which had been deleted and replaced with a manual choke. I capped it off. I need to fix the brakes before I can drive it, though, because the rear left Drum is completely locked up.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I got it running like a top after some more trys. Discovered that that extra spot was for an automatic choke which had been deleted and replaced with a manual choke. I capped it off. I need to fix the brakes before I can drive it, though, because the rear left Drum is completely locked up.
Excellent