Navigation question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dek1581

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recently installed the navigation on my 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Yes you read that correctly even though it's now 2024! My only issue is that I don't get traffic alerts or I'm not prompted to re-route to avoid traffic. Is this standard for my system? I would figure that a 2017 model would have upgraded navigation so the driver would be aware of traffic. I have Google Maps on my phone and that has traffic shown....

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haven't seen them on my 16. I would think there would need to have a data connection to get those

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would figure that a 2017 model would have upgraded navigation so the driver would be aware of traffic. I have Google Maps on my phone and that has traffic shown....
Unfortunately you missed by a model year. Starting with the 2018s the radios supported AndroidAuto/CarPlay to be able to use Google Maps, Waze, etc.
It is possible to use a 2018 or newer radio in your truck, the USB Media port (w/adapter) would need to be changed. There is several threads on this forum on how to and what's needed toswap the radio

wrench78

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently installed the navigation on my 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Yes you read that correctly even though it's now 2024! My only issue is that I don't get traffic alerts or I'm not prompted to re-route to avoid traffic. Is this standard for my system? I would figure that a 2017 model would have upgraded navigation so the driver would be aware of traffic. I have Google Maps on my phone and that has traffic shown....
No that is not standard. Your maps are NOT live maps, they are stored. You don't have access to live updates. You would need android auto or apple car play for that.