Need guidance!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flindsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 ram 1500 ran great no issues yesterday drove it 60 miles then pulled into a parking lot and as I did engine stalled I went to restart it and it started but was running very rough and rattling (sounds like lifters) I shut it off and checked the basics (oil) I went to start it and it just cranked and wouldn't fire I held gas pedal to floor and it started but ran extremely rough. I towed it home and put my scanner on it and the only code I could get was a cylinder 2 misfire but it's more than just #2 misfiring. And that was a code in pending . I looked through live data and didn't see anything that jumped out as an issue. When it starts it smells like it's dumping fuel into engine so I'm thinking it's flooding itself out. This truck has 109k and no issues until this. I can hear the fuel pump running and my live data says fuel rail is around 64psi and desired is 60. Temp sensors seem to be reading accurately, I have unplugged map sensor and no changes. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try replacing the plugs in that cylinder and swap coil packs. However, with clunk maybe you dropped a valve. Lifespans on valve or valve springs in cold states = happens at some point.

OP
OP
F

Flindsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just incase anyone ever runs into this issue It was an intake spring on cylinder # 2 that broke and allowed the valve to stay open. Waiting on parts but im coefficient it will be back on the road this week.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just incase anyone ever runs into this issue It was an intake spring on cylinder # 2 that broke and allowed the valve to stay open. Waiting on parts but im coefficient it will be back on the road this week.
Thanks for update, yeah when you hear a clunk with a misfire it is always gonna be bad news. But the good news if you don't keep driving on it it is fixable without a full rebuild. You saved yourself huge trouble by towing it, good job.