New 2022 eco owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tucdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do I need to know? Mods, what to do, what not to do? Threads to read?

Thanks!

2022 Ram Laramie 4x4 eco diesel

mikey2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L diesel
New 2014 ecodiesel 1500. Plagued with def issues. what is the best delete?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What do I need to know? Mods, what to do, what not to do?
If you use it for short trips be sure to take it on the freeway 2-3 times a month for a good 45 minute cruise while the engine is up to full temperature.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
New 2014 ecodiesel 1500. Plagued with def issues. what is the best delete?
Look up EcoDiesel Owners Canada (yes it's in Canada)

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2023
Engine
4.7L & 3.0L EcoD
New EcoD owner here. A local dealer had six new 2023 EcoD on the lot, Bighorn trims. All priced to sell. I couldn't resist. As of last week they still have 5 left.

Interestingly, there's a service sticker under the hood that says "fuel pump replaced Dec. 2023". I also found a folded up sticker in the passenger side pocket missed by the prep crew that said "vehicle not for sale". I'm guessing they had flagged the trucks until they replaced the pump.

Had 12 miles on it when I left the dealer. 260 on it now. I got 26.5 MPG driving home and it was still climbing (90% highway). Right now in my area of Texas, diesel is down to $2.75/gallon on the north side of Houston. (Costco). Most other stations are $2.90-$3.40/gal, depending on location.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
here in Hurst dsl is mostly in the 3.40 something range. there is a Texaco near me that is often 3.25 or so.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New EcoD owner here. A local dealer had six new 2023 EcoD on the lot, Bighorn trims. All priced to sell. I couldn't resist. As of last week they still have 5 left.

Interestingly, there's a service sticker under the hood that says "fuel pump replaced Dec. 2023". I also found a folded up sticker in the passenger side pocket missed by the prep crew that said "vehicle not for sale". I'm guessing they had flagged the trucks until they replaced the pump.

Had 12 miles on it when I left the dealer. 260 on it now. I got 26.5 MPG driving home and it was still climbing (90% highway). Right now in my area of Texas, diesel is down to $2.75/gallon on the north side of Houston. (Costco). Most other stations are $2.90-$3.40/gal, depending on location.
Yes, the ED's have the same problem with the CP4 pumps that other trucks have, which is why replaced.

oledirteh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it has had the cp4 replaced, avoid banks diesel derringer for the time being as they have not released a new tune for that pump and it will send your truck to the shop and the techs will give you problems over it.

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2023
Engine
4.7L & 3.0L EcoD
Did the first oil change today on my 2023 EcoD at 1,059 mi. Yeah, I'm old school when in comes to new vehicle OCIs. I don't care what the manual says. ;) I'll do a second at 4K mi. and then my standard 5K interval that I do for all my vehicles. That 10K mile OCI is just...nuts.

Larry Limpwrist must have put the drain plug in at the factory. I had the breaker bar out expecting a Godzilla-level factory torque. Not the case. It began to loosen up at the first turn. Spun it out with fingers after that. Didn't get so lucky removing the oil filter, Godzilla must have returned from his lunch break. That thing was insanely tight and very difficult to remove. Made a godawful squeaking racket like I was murdering a bucket of mice while removing it. My only guess is it was installed extra-dry, because the upper o-ring was dry when I finally got the filter out.

The new filter threaded in firm and MUCH easier with the threads and o-ring lubed with oil. Used the STP S45027XL filter. Refilled with Castrol Edge Euro Car 5W/40. Let it sit for about 30 minutes while I moved over to change the oil in the wife's Forester. Yes, it was an oil change morning.

I know the oil filter topic for the Gen3 EcoD has been hotly debated on other forums. I did a careful side-by-side comparison of the factory filter and the STP. Aside from different color gaskets, both are stamped Made in China, and I did not see any visible difference in build quality. I saved the factory filter and at my next OC, I'll take them apart to compare internals. Cranked it up and ran for a few minutes. No filter leakage and pressure was about 35 PSI which I've been observing previously as normal for "cold" idle in these 95F temperatures.

MPG so far has been between 27-28 around town and 30-30.5 highway.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Since Stellantis, ( Peugeot ) merged with Fiat Chrysler ...
they seem to be using more & more Chinese products

1717647700672.jpeg

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The new filter threaded in firm and MUCH easier with the threads and o-ring lubed with oil. Used the STP S45027XL filter. Refilled with Castrol Edge Euro Car 5W/40. Let it sit for about 30 minutes while I moved over to change the oil in the wife's Forester. Yes, it was an oil change morning.
I’ve been running the same oil/filter combo. Works great so there’s no need to overthink it and pay $100 for a MOPAR oil filter. Congrats on the new ride!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll do a second at 4K mi. and then my standard 5K interval that I do for all my vehicles. That 10K mile OCI is just...nuts.
Just don't change the oil based on when it turns black, you'll might not make it around the block.... LOL
All joking aside the oil analysis for these engines come back with plenty of oil life left at 10K intervals. If your doing a lot of traveling there no need to for 5K intervals.
No filter leakage and pressure was about 35 PSI which I've been observing previously as normal for "cold" idle in these 95F temperatures.
Both the EcoDiesel and the Cummins do not have an actual oil pressure sensor. The pressure reading on the dash is a calculation based on engine rpm. At least with the EcoDiesel the oil temperature is an actual sensor. Both engines do have a low oil pressure switch which just proves there is some oil pressure, about 10 psi.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been driving a 2020 ecodiesel this weekend that we are looking at buying for my son. Very nice truck overall, a few small issues, but every used vehicle has something!! A question I have...I noticed it showing 80+ psi oil pressure on a cold start this morning...by cold, I mean it was 70 degrees, but the first start of the morning. Then, when it is warmed up, it idles at 19 or 20 psi and cruises around 30 psi...this seems low to me. What are your thoughts??

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have been driving a 2020 ecodiesel this weekend that we are looking at buying for my son. Very nice truck overall, a few small issues, but every used vehicle has something!! A question I have...I noticed it showing 80+ psi oil pressure on a cold start this morning...by cold, I mean it was 70 degrees, but the first start of the morning. Then, when it is warmed up, it idles at 19 or 20 psi and cruises around 30 psi...this seems low to me. What are your thoughts??
Read crash68 post above

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Totally normal.