New and clueless (man do I need your help!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DwightLightning

Reaction score
New here. It’s nice to meet you all!

Okay fellas. I’m new here and completely lost. I’d like to buy a 5th gen. RAM 1500 and love the Rebel & Warlock trim (the grill, running boards etc.) but not sure I can afford the Rebel or Warlock.

Is it feasible for me to buy a lesser (cheaper) trim model and install the Rebel grill and running boards?

I’m new to the world of trucks and it’s pretty intimidating so I really appreciate any tips or feedback and hope you can bear with my newbie questions.

Many thanks!

Dwight Lightning ⚡

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Of course it can be done, the issue is, it will likely cost you more than ordering it that way to start with. Before I tried something like that I would track down the trim pieces I wanted at the wrecker, and cost it all out. If it is just grill and boards, maybe doable for cheap, if you want to go full bore upgrade, order what you want from the get go.

Small example, power boards from the factory, $900. Aftermarket, even doing your own install, nearly $2,000. Add another $500 if you want them installed by someone else. Blind spot and crosspath detection, factory ordered $500, aftermarket, nearly $3,000.

Also, consider that a slightly used Rebel or Laramie sells for not a lot more than a Bighorn in the same shape, so a guy can save a lot of money that way too. You usually don't get back any where close to what ypu paid for the higher trim levels new.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What Dean2 said! Anything is doable for the right amount of money. If you are simply going to change the grill and install running boards it may be less expensive than a higher trim level. Once you get into leveling kits and different rims and tires the cost escalates rapidly. Something to consider is if you will be doing the upgrades yourself or paying someone else to do them for you. Will you be buying the upgrades on the used market or new parts? Rebel grills are pretty popular so will there be much cost savings on the used market? Will you purchase the makeover parts in cash or financing them on a credit card? Lots of variables to consider.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with the cheaper model and simply dress it up with the grill, boards, etc you want. There is no shortage of items. Go to americantrucks.com and put in the trim and search on grilles. Lots of options. They have a Red rock Rebel style upper grille with LED DRL, matte black for $269.00 fits the Tradesman. Lots of customer pictures so you can get an idea of the looks.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Don't get yourself into something that over extends you. It's a depreciating asset and you only lose money as you go. I personally like the Bighorn because it has good option packs and from there, I got the other stuff I wanted like running boards, tonneau, integrated brake controller and a lot of other things from Amazon much cheaper and installed them myself. Facebook Marketplace is also a great place to hunt parts. My 2020 Tacoma - Got the TRD raptor running boards and many other TRD parts from people selling them cheap. Get what you can afford, add the rest later. AND, sales are still in the absolute DUMPSTER so you might be able to get even better deals in another month.

skates15

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like the Bighorn
I did the same, got a Big horn and then have been slowly modifying it as time and money permits. My latest upgrade is the transmission filter replacement to lower temps.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi from Canada, another option, you could look for a good low milage late model used one.
If you do find one , pay for a check up before ,not after you buy it if you don't know what to look for. You can also buy extended warranties, I'm not a fan of the rebel grill, but that's just my age talking.