New trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidwith22Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
I used to pull a 20 ft Gvrw 5800 lb travel trailer behind my 2022 Ram Warlock 5.7 Hemi with no issues. Hardly knew it was back there even in wind.
Just bought new trailer 26ft now with Gvrw 6800 and as soon as I get over 45 mph it starts swaying and kinda scary. It was windy but again wasn’t terrible wind. Is this some kind of Equalizer hitch adjustment issue. It’s Well under my towing capacity The difference in trailer weight isn’t that much.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This sounds like a issue for the payload police..LOL!

It's not the weight that the problem, it is how that weight is distributed around the trailer and the truck. Start with checking the WDH set up, it's best to take the fully loaded set up to a CAT scale and weigh both together then drop the trailer and weigh the truck. That will give you all the numbers to determine the actual tounge weight percentage and how the axles are loaded. You want to have about 10-12% tounge weight, replace the lost front axle weight and the truck rear axle heavier than the front.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to pull a 20 ft Gvrw 5800 lb travel trailer behind my 2022 Ram Warlock 5.7 Hemi with no issues. Hardly knew it was back there even in wind.
Just bought new trailer 26ft now with Gvrw 6800 and as soon as I get over 45 mph it starts swaying and kinda scary. It was windy but again wasn’t terrible wind. Is this some kind of Equalizer hitch adjustment issue. It’s Well under my towing capacity The difference in trailer weight isn’t that much.
Like crash said post #2. R you even using a WDH because wat u related goes back to improper tow wdh setup and improper tongue weight transferring stuff back to axles etc. Crash more versed than I am and do not believe all those numbers RAM posts lol. All above IMHO only. Those numbers do not take into account water tanks full, propane, any extra stuff u got loaded in trailer, attached and in bed of truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Those numbers do not take into account water tanks full, propane, any extra stuff u got loaded in trailer,
Actually a trailer GVWR is just like on a truck, it's the most that the trailer should weigh (axle and tongue).

OP
OP
D

Davidwith22Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic
Engine
This sounds like a issue for the payload police..LOL!

It's not the weight that the problem, it is how that weight is distributed around the trailer and the truck. Start with checking the WDH set up, it's best to take the fully loaded set up to a CAT scale and weigh both together then drop the trailer and weigh the truck. That will give you all the numbers to determine the actual tounge weight percentage and how the axles are loaded. You want to have about 10-12% tounge weight, replace the lost front axle weight and the truck rear axle heavier than the front.
Ok yeah I better re evaluate how the dealership sent me away with WDH. Watch a few videos and try and set it up

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Gotta find some flat ground do some measurements and probably re adjust my WDH. Who knew a few washers and ball height could make such a difference.
Getting the WDH tuned to the trailer/load makes a huge difference, be sure to do the WDH adjustments while the truck and trailer are fully loaded as if you were headed out traveling. Measurements can work but if the trailer doesn't pull smooth and predictable then find yourself a CAT scale.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
CAT scale will be your best friend here. Only about $13 for the first weigh then like $3 for the next one if at the same scale within 24 hour or something like that. So for $15-20 you can get it perfect.
Trailer length also has a big impact on handling. 6 extra feet of 'sail' will make a difference. I doubt you are overweight/overloaded but need that weight re-distributed.
Oh...and never trust the dealer in these situations. Most don't know or don't care and they don't have scales to get it right. They can only get it 'close'.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The guys above pretty much have it right, measurements will get you pretty close if you know what you're doing, but a CAT scale can you get dialed in perfectly if you need it that precise.

I've been towing for years and can pretty well eyeball if it's correct by now - and I see a LOT of them going down the road that I wouldn't drive with their setup.

When we got our current TT, I had the dealer set everything up with my 'Wagon, and it just didn't tow right - it would sway at anything over 62 mph - the setup guy at the dealer claimed he took all kinds of measurements but either he swagged it or just didn't know what he was doing. So I tinkered with it, took some of the angle out of the hitch head to put a little more weight back on the tongue and VIOLA I was able to run up to 70 with no sway (don't normally get that fast but every now and then). The new truck with the same settings is even better because the suspension is stiffer, I accidentally hit 75 and had no sway but I do not like running that fast with a trailer.

Just remember that while it's best to have the trailer sitting level, to get everything in spec your truck may NOT be level - it may be a bit squatted in the rear. That's okay, but it is definitely telling you the truck has more weight on it than it really wants. As long as you've got your steer axle at or above its original weight, and you're at 10-15% (I use a wider margin than some guys) of trailer weight as tongue weight, then you're set up properly.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually a trailer GVWR is just like on a truck, it's the most that the trailer should weigh (axle and tongue).
I got that, but wanted to throw out there to the OP to insure he takes into account all the other added weight: Passengers, luggage, "stuff", propane, water tanks, etc etc a lot of PPL forget to figure in all that extra weight, which is why yer knowledge and suggestion to hit the scales and make sure WDH dialed in so important.

zrock

Reaction score
you can easily set up your trailer and get it right just with measurements especially if you do not have a scale nearby. I have set up multiple trailers going down to the local mall parking lot taking my time and getting all my measurement's. Always tows like a dream don't even realize my 28ft is behind me really.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I watched a few videos now and I think I know how it should be done. Gotta find some flat ground do some measurements and probably re adjust my WDH. Who knew a few washers and ball height could make such a difference.
It absolutely can be an amazing difference.

netshadoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi/no eTorque
You should be able to dial that in no problem. I tow a 7000lb GVWR travel trailer, and feel good pulling it. Make sure you have those rear tires aired up properly too!

I 100% concur with the CatScale recommendations above.

My weights and setup: