Nexus 7 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHADD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 tradesman Quad cab, 3.6L Pentastar, 8 speed auto

Wanted an all around media center. Didn't like the high end Ram U-connect receivers. Couldn't get passed the price of the aftermarket receivers that did almost everything. Each aftermarket receiver was missing options that I really wanted. Already owned a nexus 7 tablet that I wasn't using. Since i already owned it. That was my tablet of choice. Did some research. Found Nexus 7 installs in a large range of vehicles. But, not really my year and model. Inspected my dash. Came up with a way to mount the Nexus 7 without hacking up the dash. Can still return to OEM if needed.

20160808_122605_zpsdvwtfxeg.jpg
20160808_122923_zpstnsrulf1.jpg

Only needed to grind a little bit behind the radio bezel.
20160727_123506_zpsdyky4u8c.jpg
20160727_123520_zps5b8gzacc.jpg
20160727_123619_zps2akuw0zf.jpg

I dont have a picture of the bracket that is holding the tablet in. Its just an X brace attaching to screws that is already there. Positioned the tablet. Then cut a piece of a plastic thick cutting board for the filler panel. Left it white for the black and white contrast already existing through the oem gauges.

Head unit was relocated for easy access of volume knob along with remote control access. This is a temporary location. Currently building a custom center console which it will be relocated to. In this pic, was seeing if the head unit or the aux adapter put out more power. An old head unit is sitting on passenger floor board. Not installed.
20160815_124133_zpsmbz1omls.jpg

Special features with this install. Turns on and off via ignition. Doesnt turn all the way off. Just goes into deep sleep and awakes via ignition. On power down (deep sleep) it runs a custom powerdown screen with timer.
usbrom-powerdown_zps4s9ysnx6.jpg

Parts used for install at this time:

Nexus 7 32GB (2012 wifi model) - Unlocked, Rooted, Custom rom installed
Nexus 7 screen protector anti-glare - not shown in some of the pictures here.
Dual cd/usb/bluetooth receiver XDM280BT w/ remote control
OTG cable with power connection - Connecting single usb device to tablet.
Android power cord - Charging tablet
4 port USB hub - Attaching up to 4 usb items to OTG cable. Usbrom allows up to 7 devices.
12v to 5v aux adapter 3.0amp smartswitch
Easycap USb video capture device chip UTV007- Connecting backup/reverse camera to tablet.
Backup/reverse camera
OBDII ELM327 Bluetooh - Checking engine OBDII codes, seeing what sensors are doing.
32gb thumb drive - used as exra storage for games, music, videos
USB Corded universal game controller.

Software/apps used:

USBROM - Based on CyanogenMod 10.1 made for automotive installs
Apex launcher - helps create customized homescreen options
Widgetizer - used to create invisible widgets over photoshop wallpaper
UCCW - Make custom widgets
EasyCap Viewer - Turns on if it sees a signal from backup/reverse camera. Turns off once signal turns off.
Tasker - Allows of full automation of apps. Allow it to turn on several apps by turning 1 app on.
Volume+ (Volume Boost) - Will adjust volume on tablet via speakers, headphones, bluetooth up to 20points over car receiver. Adds a full 6 band equalizer.
SMS text messages - allows text messages from phone to be shown on tablet. was using. not using anymore.
Image 2 Wallpaper - Scales wallpaper to the correct size on tablet. Make wallpaper with gimpshop or photoshop. Then use Image 2 Wallpaper to install.
Deep Sleep Battery - keep an eye on battery activity. Make sure apps are not running all the time in background. Have extra control over brightness of screen, bluetooth, airplane mode, and more.
VLC for android - access to all audio/video file types
Netflix - Video
Kodi - Video, audio, music
Google maps - GPS maps for online and offline. Downloaded slightly larger than my city for offline maps.
Waze - GPS, Maps & Traffic
Pandora - Music
Spotify - Music
Torque pro - See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more
ClassicBoy (emulator) - Playstation 1, N64, GBA, GB, GBC, NES, Sega Genesis, Neogeo. All roms loaded onto thumb drive
PPSSPP - Playstation portable. All roms loaded onto thumb drive
acar - Log activities, manage and keep track of your vehicles: Fillups, Fuel Mileage (a.k.a. Gas Mileage or Fuel Economy), Maintenance, Services, Expenses and Trips

More pictures and videos to come. As I tweak it. Overall goal is to have it look like a factory install.

OP
OP
C

CHADD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
a lot of people in the car audio world that are using tablets are using this sony radio

Bluetooth Car Stereo with CD Player & USB | MEX-XB100BT | Sony US

its a true 50x4 RMS high power radio and you can control it 100% via an app so you can hide the radio and not need to use it.

I originally had my radio hidden behind the tablet. The tablet UI I am using added Volume buttons to the navigation bar. I felt it was way to much of a distraction to look for a button to push to lower or raise the volume. So, i decided to keep my radio out in the open. I have the option of using a remote control or the knob on the radio for the volume. It will eventually be mounted in a custom full center console that will replace my center jump seat.

Twotwenty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram
Engine
3.6L
Wow. Usually I don't like tablet installs but that looks good

choquette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUMmins 6.7
does your steering buttons still work?

OP
OP
C

CHADD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
does your steering buttons still work?

I never had radio buttons on my steering wheel. But from other installs I've seen. There is a module that allows the steering controls to control the tablet.

OP
OP
C

CHADD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Just got the backup camera installed.

20160817_124650_zpsszbbc2bz.jpg

OP
OP
C

CHADD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Adjusted the backup camera and software. Here is a short video of Pandora playing; backup camera turning on and off while pandora still playing; and powerdown image during sleep mode.

[yt]8yzM7Qg5csI[/yt]

jbr8993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7l
why cant i see pictures

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk