No parking sensors when tailgate is off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorCalCB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi. I just put a camper on my 2022 1500 which required removing the tailgate. Now my dash says "Rear parksense temporarily unavailable". I knew I was going to lose my backup camera, but my rear parking sensors don't seem to be working either? Does anyone know of any setting changes or fix for this?

Anyone else have a similar experience when removing a tailgate?

Attachments

• RavenCamper.jpg
    RavenCamper.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
N

NorCalCB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking maybe the lack of camera isn't an issue. Maybe it thinks the tailgate is down? I've never tried to back up with my tailgate down... I wonder if the dash would show a similar message "Rear parksense (park assist?) temporarily unavailable"?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking maybe the lack of camera isn't an issue. Maybe it thinks the tailgate is down? I've never tried to back up with my tailgate down... I wonder if the dash would show a similar message "Rear parksense (park assist?) temporarily unavailable"?

I don't know about your 5th gen, I do believe my Warlock (4th gen) protests if the tailgate is open while backing up.

AFAIK, the Park Sense will trip while having any objects nearby. I've heard that some of the safety bumper bars that plug into the Reese hitch will cause a Park Sense alarm.

I use my truck quite often during the warmer months with a couple of kayaks in back and the tailgate opened. IIRC, I usually disable the Park Sense to inhibit the alarm noise.

The camera looks straight at the ground and disturbs my buddy while backing up.

I'll give it a test tomorrow to confirm and report.

OP
OP
N

NorCalCB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I guess having peace and quiet with a little alert on the dashboard is a lot better than alarms and bell going off. I wonder what it's supposed to do when you remove the tailgate?

I called tech support, and they were useless. Basically said I should take it into my local dealer....who has like a month wait. Not.

OP
OP
N

NorCalCB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update. I removed the tailgate wire harness (with camera and latch), took less than 30 minutes to do, super easy. Thank you Mopar! I plugged everything back into the truck. Wrapped the harness up in a waterproof drybag and zip-tied it to the rear frame. Backup sensors are now working again. I might try to find a way to re-mount the camera, but for now, happy with functioning sensors.

But here the thing....
Why make a removable tailgate that once removed, won't allow the rear bumper sensors to function properly? It just doesn't make sense. If someone has come up with a different solution I would love to hear it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. I removed the tailgate wire harness (with camera and latch), took less than 30 minutes to do, super easy. Thank you Mopar! I plugged everything back into the truck. Wrapped the harness up in a waterproof drybag and zip-tied it to the rear frame. Backup sensors are now working again. I might try to find a way to re-mount the camera, but for now, happy with functioning sensors.

But here the thing....
Why make a removable tailgate that once removed, won't allow the rear bumper sensors to function properly? It just doesn't make sense. If someone has come up with a different solution I would love to hear it.

I would say that from the manufacturer's point of view, it's really about having more features than another truck, not about how functional and flexible these features are to custom modifications.

Congrats on finding a good solution and thanks for sharing. :cool:

If you get bored or adventurous, at a future date, you might try constructing something to take the place of the harness, there can't be too much involved. The OEM connectors can be had from numerous locations and sponsoring members here.

If you plan to explore reconnecting the camera, that might be a great opportunity to substitute the tailgate harness section.

Don't forget to share your findings, someone, somewhere will be thrilled. :cool:

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Off hand, i have not thought of any reason to remove the tailgate, unless you are going to put something long into the bed.
Like a Camper Shell, where part of the shell hangs down, blocking the license plate & maybe part of the bumper