Noticed water in interior rear driver side after a rain. Anyone have a similar issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 quad cab and water is getting into the interior in the rear seat area on the driver side.

I keep a towel in the small compartment under the rear seat and a week or so ago I noticed it was damp. We had a rain storm yesterday where I live so I decided to look around the back seat of the truck and sure enough there was traces of water in a few places around the rear seat. The only water on the seat itself was a few drops along the top back near the head rest but there was water around the seat frame when I folded the seat up and again there was water in the small cubby area under the seat.

It would be great if I could fold the seat down to see behind the seat back, but I don't think these seats fold that way.

Anyone hear of the this problem before?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The two main areas that are known for water leaks are the third brake light and the vents on the back of the cab. The rear window is sometimes reported for leaking but it's not as common.

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Replace the cab vents, had the same issue in my 2010. Would be wet under the rear seats after it rained. Might as well replace the third brake light seal too. Both parts are cheap and easy to replace

ColesRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Had the same problem earlier this year in my 2020 Laramie . After repeated trips to the dealership it was found that I had 4 cracks in the rear sliding window frame. Hosing the rear cab I could see where the leaks originated. Mine was covered by a new RAM extended warranty to replace the entire rear window. Had to wait 7 weeks for parts, but that fixed the leaks. I’m not sure if the extended warty covers 2014, but you may want to check.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The vents are less than $10ea at the dealer (at least they were). They are also a new updated design due to the leaking issue of the original as you have. If your head liner is not getting wet do not disturb the third brake light unless you have a replacement seal for it on hand. The vents can be changed by slipping them between the cab and bed. Some have done them from the inside by twisting them, but I don't know how that's even possible. I found it a lot easier from the outside as designed.

carlylelocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The vents are less than $10ea at the dealer (at least they were). They are also a new updated design due to the leaking issue of the original as you have. If your head liner is not getting wet do not disturb the third brake light unless you have a replacement seal for it on hand. The vents can be changed by slipping them between the cab and bed. Some have done them from the inside by twisting them, but I don't know how that's even possible. I found it a lot easier from the outside as designed.
I couldn't find any that didn't have a 2 week lead time, and I read from a few people that even the new designs didn't always seal properly. I found the best flexible caulk I could find and sealed the hell out of the exterior seal. Damn near gave me pneumonia before I figured out the problem (had mold growing under the back seat).

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I couldn't find any that didn't have a 2 week lead time, and I read from a few people that even the new designs didn't always seal properly. I found the best flexible caulk I could find and sealed the hell out of the exterior seal. Damn near gave me pneumonia before I figured out the problem (had mold growing under the back seat).
Local dealer near me stocked them. You can always ask your dealer who has them in stock by there networked system. The hardest part of the job is removing the rear seat. But trying to get sealant up on top of the outside, now that had to be hard to do!

carlylelocke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Local dealer near me stocked them. You can always ask your dealer who has them in stock by there networked system. The hardest part of the job is removing the rear seat. But trying to get sealant up on top of the outside, now that had to be hard to do!
Yep, seat removal was a pain. I was able to inject enough sealant from inside that it pushed it outside, either way it isn't leaking again from that spot ever again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-05 3.34.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-05 3.34.03 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

moist_oyster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I went to a marine store and got a small rubber D shaped gasket to go around my 3rd brake light. I took off the factory spongy gasket and cleaned it really good so the new gasket adhered good. I also put a bead of silicone around my antenna on the rear roof there.

Since then I haven't had any more water leak into the rear of the truck. I guess I've been lucky enough to not have to replace my rear vents yet

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, check out folding rear seat mod. A few bucks invested in washers wrapped in tape to keep aligned, and now your rear seat folds when you want

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine was the third brake light.... within a few month of when I got my 2014. Back then the dealer didn't have a fix so I just put some rubber weather-stripping between the lens and housing and 10 years later it's held. I think it's worse when you park on an upslope (as I do) so all the water runs off the roof over the light.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
Had the same problem earlier this year in my 2020 Laramie . After repeated trips to the dealership it was found that I had 4 cracks in the rear sliding window frame. Hosing the rear cab I could see where the leaks originated. Mine was covered by a new RAM extended warranty to replace the entire rear window. Had to wait 7 weeks for parts, but that fixed the leaks. I’m not sure if the extended warty covers 2014, but you may want to check.
The cracked window frame is primarily a 5th gen issue. I had the same problem with my 2020 Limited. But the OP's issue is with a 4th gen. As far as I know the rear window frame issues don't affect 4th gens.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the seal I used on the CHMSL.

1725573046567.png

It's listed on Amazon as marine weather seal. Works amazing. If you are leaking from 3rd brake light, you probably will have some discoloration on headliner in rear corners. After issue is fixed, remove headliner stains with hydrogen peroxide.

OP
OP
W

Want to Drive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I checked today and there is water in the cubby area under the seat on the passenger side as well.

Seems odd that both cab vents would be bad right?

Does a leaking 3rd break light allow water all the way down into the cubby areas? Does it show on the headliner first?

I don't see any water marks on my headliner.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I checked today and there is water in the cubby area under the seat on the passenger side as well.

Seems odd that both cab vents would be bad right?

Nope,pretty common issue that both go bad.Odds are your local dealer will have the new updated ones in stock.That tells you they're an issue,as dealers don't normally stock parts that don't have a high turn over rate

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3 common causes would be the 3rd brake light, rear sliding window and cab vents. If you have the capability, I'd suggest removing the back seat and get inside while having someone spray the back of the cab with a garden hose to see where it's coming from.