Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've cut these filters open(Purolator Boss PBL 24651, WIX XP 57899XP)in the recent past and am posting a few pics again, for arguments sake and visual for comparison to the Royal Purple 20-820.

The Purolator Boss PBL 24651 imo, is just as good or equal quality as the Royal Purple 20-820.

The by-pass valve on the Purolator Boss is different that it is fixed to the bottom of the filter using a spring retainer type clip instead of the traditional "leaf spring" by-pass valve set up that most of the other filters have.

The WIX XP 57899XP(Royal Purple 20-820 equivalent)has an altogether different by-pass spring. The filter media rests on an coiled spring, unlike the leaf spring style, and the by-pass valve is independently spring loaded.

The filter media on the Purolator Boss PBL 24651 has instead of an "metal screen" it has an synthetic type mesh that is very resilient to being torn/ripped. The media is also very competitive as the RP 20-820. The "SmartFUSION TECHNOLOGY" on the Purolator Boss is rated 99%+ on dirt removal capacity and 15,000mi/24,000km.

The WIX XP 57899XP filter media is an carbon copy of the Royal Purple 20-820 having the metal screen mesh on the filter media

The bass plates on the WIX and Purolator Boss have only six inlets compared to the Royal Purple 20-820, but are rather large, so I wouldn't think that that would hamper oil flow, idk.

Over all, IMHO, these two filters in comparison to the Royal Purple 20-820 are a good quality match.

Thank you sir. So just to be clear, if I wanted the same size filter as the RP 20-820 and the Fram XG2, the Purolator Boss # for that filter would be: 24651? I'd like the larger(est) boss, not the smaller one.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Thank you sir. So just to be clear, if I wanted the same size filter as the RP 20-820 and the Fram XG2, the Purolator Boss # for that filter would be: 24651? I'd like the larger(est) boss, not the smaller one.

Yep.

The Purolator Boss PBL 24651 is the larger and same in dimension oil filter as the Royal Purple 20-820 and FRAM XG2/FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance/WIX XP 57899XP/MOPAR 899.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Another pic for visual comparison of the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance to the Royal Purple 20-820 is an carbon copy exact in quality with the difference being the amount and size of the inlet holes, eight on the Royal Purple 20-820 and six on the FRAM FE2.

I would not hesitant to use the FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance oil filter. I might give it try and it's cheaper in price and on the shelf at Wal"-Mark" ...
did you cut those open?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I gritted my teeth and visited Bob's to see what the goofs were saying about Fram Endurance Oil Filters as a replacement for the degraded Ultra XG's.

After reading a bunch of pages, my take was the consensus was generally this is a good replacement that simulates the original Ultra XG, with caution to check the center tube louvers for full punching openess. I also saw some state they are made in Mexico. This would be a significant change before "First Brands" bought Fram, they were always made in the USA when owned by Allied Signal previously.

My read of all this is First Brands cost-reduced a premium filter by outsourcing it where it's not always made correctly.

I remember 15 years ago when Fram so proudly announced the Ultra XG series being made exclusively in the USA.

Cheap is good. Always. No matter what else.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yep.

The Purolator Boss PBL 24651 is the larger and same in dimension oil filter as the Royal Purple 20-820 and FRAM XG2/FRAM FE2 SYNTHETIC Endurance/WIX XP 57899XP/MOPAR 899.

... and the same for the Amsoil AE 011 oil filter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yep.

I've cut open quite a few for my own visual look see, but didn't keep all of them, and also the one's I've used for internal inspection and threw them away as well ...
thanks for the contributions

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take a die grinder to all the sharp edges you can get at on the Pac Brake kit. Sharp corners and oil flow don't go hand in hand,and after looking one of their kits over close,i'm not impressed with it,especially for the cost. If you haven't bought the Pac Brake kit yet,i'd seriously consider this set-up instead,but upgrade the hoses and fittings to 5/8" ( -10).Allows you to use the big old style 3/4-16 filters like the 30-8 filter. You get twice the filter capacity,and less pressure drop across the 2 filters.

Will have a look. I like the fact it uses the good old and cheaper filters but it looks like more work to make it fit. I don't want straight fittings either at the engine, won't work well with the RHD conversion and its flipped steering rack.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Will have a look. I like the fact it uses the good old and cheaper filters but it looks like more work to make it fit. I don't want straight fittings either at the engine, won't work well with the RHD conversion and its flipped steering rack.
Any farm implement dealer can make you hoses with pretty well any fitting you require,so the hoses don't present much of a problem. Even you guys in Aussie land will have a farm implement dealer,lol.