Oil Leak 2019 Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cannan50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 Diesel
I had an exhaust leak and took it to a shop to have repaired. Prior to that I did not have an oil leak which I'm sure of because I have a concrete driveway that you can see any spot on it. They repaired the exhaust leak and said I had a oil leak at the bottom of the engine which would be $4 to $6K to fix. I blew the comment off thinking maybe it was from an oil change or something weird because I didn't have a drop of oil in my driveway. Well sure enough a day or two later my truck starts leaking oil on my driveway. And to make it worse the exhaust leak is back. Trying to figure out how a brand new 2019 Diesel 3500 with 74K miles on it would have a leak already. Any help or direction on this would be appreciated.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an exhaust leak and took it to a shop to have repaired. Prior to that I did not have an oil leak which I'm sure of because I have a concrete driveway that you can see any spot on it. They repaired the exhaust leak and said I had a oil leak at the bottom of the engine which would be $4 to $6K to fix. I blew the comment off thinking maybe it was from an oil change or something weird because I didn't have a drop of oil in my driveway. Well sure enough a day or two later my truck starts leaking oil on my driveway. And to make it worse the exhaust leak is back. Trying to figure out how a brand new 2019 Diesel 3500 with 74K miles on it would have a leak already. Any help or direction on this would be appreciated.
Sucks that you have an oil leak, but to call a 2019 with 74k miles on it brand new is a bit of an awkward thing to say about a 5 year old truck. I would take it to the dealer if it is the engine leaking because that should be covered under the 5 year 100k power train warranty...

OP
OP
C

cannan50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 Diesel
Yeah, I didn't word that very well. I meant that I bought the truck brand new in 2019 not used.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Oil leaks happen, because seals don't last forever. A "leak at the bottom of the engine" isn't very descript. Is it leaking from the oil pan, rear main, sensor, valve cover and dripping down? What is leaking?

$4-6k to fix an oil leak is nuts. A dealer would be ideal, although I don't think an oil leak, depending on where it is, would be covered by the powertrain warranty. Seals are generally considered wear items.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Serious question but often overlooked. Has the CCV filter been replaced? If it has clogged I have seen them seep some oil. The interval is 62,500 miles and you'll normally get a service light on the dash for it. May not be it, but I'd check all of that before I dropped $4-6k on anything. Never heard of an oil leak costing that much to fix.

OP
OP
C

cannan50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 Diesel
Oil leaks happen, because seals don't last forever. A "leak at the bottom of the engine" isn't very descript. Is it leaking from the oil pan, rear main, sensor, valve cover and dripping down? What is leaking?

$4-6k to fix an oil leak is nuts. A dealer would be ideal, although I don't think an oil leak, depending on where it is, would be covered by the powertrain warranty. Seals are generally considered wear items.
Not sure where the oil leak is that's why it's not very descriptive. Had it to the dealer last week for an oil change and they said they couldn't tell where it was coming from without having it in for a thorough look which is now scheduled for next week. I understand seals don't last forever but any seal on the engine that would cause an oil leak should not fail at 74k miles.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Not sure where the oil leak is that's why it's not very descriptive. Had it to the dealer last week for an oil change and they said they couldn't tell where it was coming from without having it in for a thorough look which is now scheduled for next week. I understand seals don't last forever but any seal on the engine that would cause an oil leak should not fail at 74k miles.
Be happy you don't own a BMW then. :hahano:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I would be looking at the oil line going to the turbo. It attaches to the oil filter mounting bracket and runs to the turbo. We had one leaking just last week. 2015 3500 HO Cummins. We fixed it ourselves and it’s pretty easy to get to.