Oil Pressure Range on 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did my first oil change (by me...the dealer did the first 3 as it was a lease and I purchased it). I have read a lot of posts on forums talking about idle Oil Pressure vs. running Oil Pressure. After changing the oil, I noticed my pressure was at about 30 at idle, and 50 when driving. The odd thing is, I have never seen this before. It was always at 49. I can't believe after owning the truck for 3 years I never noticed this. However, I am getting older. I used Pennzoil Synthetic 5W20 with the MS6395 requirement, and an OEM Mopar MO339 filter. 7 Quarts, no leaks. After reading some posts on this forum, I feel a bit more comfortable that 30 PSI and 50 PSI is normal, however there's always the posts on the internet that says "Your engines gonna BLOW", you've got a leaky this a cracked that. I'm wondering if I've had a stuck oil pressure sensor all this time, which makes me wonder if my oil was EVER changed. If anyone can give me some warm fuzzies about the 30 and 50 PSI's, it would be appreciated or any comments as to your thoughts.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds a little low but very close to mine. I'm also in PA but it's a big state and our environment changes greatly from place to place.

I don't wan to compare apples to oranges so I'll tell you first that I have a 4th Gen 2014 5.7L, 108,000 miles. Currently running PUP (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) full synthetic, also 5w-20, 3000 miles on this oil. I don;t like the Mopar filter, too cheaply made and constructed.
I have an oversize Royal Purple 20-820 filter, but none of that has made any difference in the oil pressure readings I see in my dashboard EVIC display.

I have seen as low as 33 at idle, but mostly 35-37 psi at warm idle.
On the highway or just goosing the throttle I have seen as high as 67psi, but smooth highway driving at 1500 rpm I see 55-58.

So like I said your numbers are low, but very close. I doubt our gauges and sensors are calibrated though.

Your oil is good, might want to consider a good 5w-30 synthetic oil at next change, and investigate a better oil filter. That's all I've got.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did my first oil change (by me...the dealer did the first 3 as it was a lease and I purchased it). I have read a lot of posts on forums talking about idle Oil Pressure vs. running Oil Pressure. After changing the oil, I noticed my pressure was at about 30 at idle, and 50 when driving. The odd thing is, I have never seen this before. It was always at 49.
Are you saying that your previous oil pressure was 49 PSI both idling and driving? If so, then something was wrong. I have the 6.4, but mine runs ~32 idling and 52 - 53 at freeway speed, which are both in the normal range.

OP
OP
bear52

bear52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tulecreeper,

Yes, it was always 49 psi. Cold/warm/idle/driving. That's what caught my eye after the oil change. I'm a little suspicious that the dealer didn't even change the oil (heard that before???), and the oil sensor was just gummed up. But, after reading all these forums and a few replys, I'm starting to think there WAS a problem, and the fresh oil is making it work the way it's supposed to now. TX for your reply. My readings now are basically the same as yours !

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Tulecreeper
@bear52

I read it that way at first and it didn't make sense so I just assumed
you meant it the way mine works. I'm glad it's been cleared up.
A constant 49psi? Wow.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tulecreeper,

Yes, it was always 49 psi. Cold/warm/idle/driving. That's what caught my eye after the oil change. I'm a little suspicious that the dealer didn't even change the oil (heard that before???), and the oil sensor was just gummed up. But, after reading all these forums and a few replys, I'm starting to think there WAS a problem, and the fresh oil is making it work the way it's supposed to now. TX for your reply. My readings now are basically the same as yours !
I'm thinking it had nothing to do with the oil sensor, and more to do with a plugged up filter that was barely allowing oil to pass. If that's the case, you're lucky your engine didn't blow up on you.