Oil/Valve lifter issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey guys I'm about to the end of my rope on why my HEMI tick keeps coming back. To make a long story short, my original cam and lifters failed while using PUP 0W-40 at 183k miles. Thought hey if its lasted this long another set of cam/lifters would probable last the life of the truck, even replaced timing and oil pump. The first 6k miles were trouble free used 5w-30 oil during this time with lube grad. But after 6K things started going south. Cold start ticks where starting to get bad. Bad enough that I started changing my oil to see if I could see anything in the oil. Ive been seeing one or two silver slivers in my oil changes. It's possible that these were left overs from the original camp/lifters failing or could be the replacements are going bad. Either way I started noticing that after oil changes, cold start ticks would go away up until 500 miles then they would come back, during these changes I have been using lube grad as while. Changed oil back to 0W-40 PUP one last time and it did the same, lasted to 500 and then cold start ticks started coming back and even once while idling it started ticking. Finally swapped oil to Redline 5W-30. This time Ive been able to get 1k on miles before the cold start ticks came back. I know cold start ticks can be a way of life for Hemis but its taking over a minute maybe two to stop ticking and sounds awful.

What do you guys think? I'm really debating replacing the lifters and hoping the cam isn't toast. The parts are still under warranty. After that I'm probably going to sale the truck. I cannot handle anything that's just going to keep eating lifters/cams.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Can you post a YouTube? Before this run of 0w40 did the oil give you tick free at all, only the run right before the 0w40. So pup 0w40 = 500 miles tick free and 5w30 redline 1,000 miles tick free? What filters did you use it does matter. Do you have any warm idle tick? Before I changed the oil again, I might consider mos2 but I need more into on it, it would be a hail marry. The other good option is 5w40 redline. no codes?

zrock

Reaction score
Their are screens/valves that need to be cleaned or replaced when doing a cam/lifter job on these and then you are not 100% if the oil is going to flow with all the flakes in the system. Hence when mine goes im just banking on a new engine

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How long has current redline been ticking for? how many miles now on oil? No tick at all warm idle? can you use stethoscope and isolate cylinder and side of engine? who did the cam work?

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible you had lifter and exhaust ticks and only solved one of them?

Did you use oem lifters? Did you use the updated parts number lifters? Did you replace all of them? How many miles on the second set?

Many people (me included) have **,*** miles on their second set of cam and lifters with no issues, even with some pretty bad cam wear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Their are screens/valves that need to be cleaned or replaced when doing a cam/lifter job on these and then you are not 100% if the oil is going to flow with all the flakes in the system. Hence when mine goes im just banking on a new engine
Which ones are you talking about. I'm interested. I didn't remove the mds solenoids but I did look over the VVT solenoid and cleaned it. Are there others that I didn't know about?

How long has current redline been ticking for? how many miles now on oil? No tick at all warm idle? can you use stethoscope and isolate cylinder and side of engine? who did the cam work?
I have about 1200 miles on the redline oil change. It started at about the 1k mark. It starts small and then gets progressively worse with each cold start. Thou this morning on cold start up it only last a few seconds and wasn't nearly that loud. This thing has a mind of its own it seems. Its only ticked twice on warm idle once under PUP 0W-40 and Redline 0W-30. Both when went way once the it was moved or drove. The ticking comes primarily from the back drivers side which was the same place the orginal lifter failure tick came from. Twice and at random has it ticked from the rear passenger side. I also did all my own work. Cam bearings looked good so a new cam was installed.

Can you post a YouTube? Before this run of 0w40 did the oil give you tick free at all, only the run right before the 0w40. So pup 0w40 = 500 miles tick free and 5w30 redline 1,000 miles tick free? What filters did you use it does matter. Do you have any warm idle tick? Before I changed the oil again, I might consider mos2 but I need more into on it, it would be a hail marry. The other good option is 5w40 redline. no codes?
I took a video this morning but it my not be worth posting as it only ticked for a few seconds and wasnt as bad as the other times. Its mind boggling.

"So pup 0w40 = 500 miles tick free and 5w30 redline 1,000 miles tick free?" = Yes

When I went back to 0W-40 PUP I switched back to a stock WIX filter 500 miles later the start up tick was back, I even swapped out to a Fram XG2 on this oil change with no change. I usually run the Fram ultra filter as they are easer to get. Ive gotten a warm idle tick only twice recently that was with PUP 0W-40 and Redline 5-30. But they only lasted untill the truck was moved or drove then it just kinda goes away. I have noticed that during this time when it ticks on start ups that under partial accelration the there is a lul or lug, its only slight but notcable. No codes before it started having it's cold start ticks, but when its haveing this issue codes to do get set becuse it lasts so long. I may swap to 5W-40 just to try it.

Would MOS2 and Redline be a bit to much I wonder?

Being that high of mileage,I would seriously consider getting a new engine.
Wish I had the cash to spend.

Is it possible you had lifter and exhaust ticks and only solved one of them?

Did you use oem lifters? Did you use the updated parts number lifters? Did you replace all of them? How many miles on the second set?

Many people (me included) have **,*** miles on their second set of cam and lifters with no issues, even with some pretty bad cam wear.
Exhaust ticks are fixed, had them when I frist bought the truck so I know it sounds different.

NEW OEM lifters were used and I bought that from a reputable dealer. All lifters were replaced. New lifters and cam have about 10k on them.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Which ones are you talking about. I'm interested. I didn't remove the mds solenoids but I did look over the VVT solenoid and cleaned it. Are there others that I didn't know about?

I have about 1200 miles on the redline oil change. It started at about the 1k mark. It starts small and then gets progressively worse with each cold start. Thou this morning on cold start up it only last a few seconds and wasn't nearly that loud. This thing has a mind of its own it seems. Its only ticked twice on warm idle once under PUP 0W-40 and Redline 0W-30. Both when went way once the it was moved or drove. The ticking comes primarily from the back drivers side which was the same place the orginal lifter failure tick came from. Twice and at random has it ticked from the rear passenger side. I also did all my own work. Cam bearings looked good so a new cam was installed.

I took a video this morning but it my not be worth posting as it only ticked for a few seconds and wasnt as bad as the other times. Its mind boggling.

"So pup 0w40 = 500 miles tick free and 5w30 redline 1,000 miles tick free?" = Yes

When I went back to 0W-40 PUP I switched back to a stock WIX filter 500 miles later the start up tick was back, I even swapped out to a Fram XG2 on this oil change with no change. I usually run the Fram ultra filter as they are easer to get. Ive gotten a warm idle tick only twice recently that was with PUP 0W-40 and Redline 5-30. But they only lasted untill the truck was moved or drove then it just kinda goes away. I have noticed that during this time when it ticks on start ups that under partial accelration the there is a lul or lug, its only slight but notcable. No codes before it started having it's cold start ticks, but when its haveing this issue codes to do get set becuse it lasts so long. I may swap to 5W-40 just to try it.

Whats MOS2?

Exhaust ticks are fixed, had them when I frist bought the truck so I know it sounds different.

NEW OEM lifters were used and I bought that from a reputable dealer. All lifters were replaced. New lifters and cam have about 10k on them.
mos2 is moly in suspension, now it does come with some risks, as in you have moly particles in your oil, but is also might eliminate this. It's a crap shoot to be honest, IF you try it maybe wait until you are about to change your oil and get some. Many people use this product without issue.

81ydnawQoDL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemis with MDS lifters will always tick on startup my 12 ram 2500 non mds does not and it has 300k even with new lifters you will also still have a bit of a tick at hot idle its the nature of the beast ive rebuilt/have done many camshaft jobs on these if its running good Ignore it.

Also what brand lifters did you use?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Would MOS2 and Redline be a bit to much I wonder?

Well, dude man. I wouldn't be "bouncing around" doing this and doing that ... settle in on an oil/oil filter strategy ... to many quick moves and you ain't never gonna know what did or didn't help.

Red Line 5w/30 is an excellent choice ... maybe try an Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter and stay set on this combo for a few oci's and see if your HEMI responds better.

Idk, I do know that to many quick changes may not give an good actual result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hemis with MDS lifters will always tick on startup my 12 ram 2500 non mds does not and it has 300k even with new lifters you will also still have a bit of a tick at hot idle its the nature of the beast ive rebuilt/have done many camshaft jobs on these if its running good Ignore it.

Also what brand lifters did you use?

I used New OEM lifters.

I get that the cold start tick is normal but my originals never ticked on start up. But what I'm talking about is imagine you built an engine and never oiled or primed the valve train. That is what it sound like sometimes. When this engine gets on one of its fits that's how it sounds and it takes minutes for it to finally quite down. Next time it does this I will try to video it. Of course the day I start videoing cold starts it starts playing nice.

Well, dude man. I wouldn't be "bouncing around" doing this and doing that ... settle in on an oil/oil filter strategy ... to many quick moves and you ain't never gonna know what did or didn't help.

Red Line 5w/30 is an excellent choice ... maybe try an Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter and stay set on this combo for a few oci's and see if your HEMI responds better.

Idk, I do know that to many quick changes may not give an good actual result.

I get what your saying and I would agree. Not going to lie but I was panicking and was trying to find a solution. I'm going to try to catch it on video when it gets to doing it again. As of right now its playing nice.

OP
OP
J-13GTP

J-13GTP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Finally had a bad cold start. So here it is. Volume warning. I sat my phone on the driver side tire. No tick from the passenger side as far as I can tell. About 5 minutes long. It eventually goes away towards the end.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Finally had a bad cold start. So here it is. Volume warning. I sat my phone on the driver side tire. No tick from the passenger side as far as I can tell. About 5 minutes long. It eventually goes away towards the end.

I cannot view because:

" This Video Is Private"

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh no, that isn't hemi tick, that is something you need to deal with now, like Rick says sounds like rocker arm or something in that ilk. My guess a push rod, but I have no idea how it goes away. Stop running that thing til fixed bub, seriously. Thanks for taking the video.

Funny at the two minute mark that is what hemi tick sounds like. I would not be surprised if you have two things possibly unrelated. But that first minute, I have listened to many ticks, that is a monster lurking in that engine ready to eat, need to fix it one way or the the other. I'd want eyes on valves and rocker arms to start and push rods.

It's amazing that goes quiet, lol. Redline is some amazing stuff, but it cant fix that, in this case maybe making it worse by going quiet making you think it is ok to drive, I wouldn't drive that.

Last edited: