Overhead Console Sunglasses Holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OKGN_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In our 2024 Rebel, sunglasses stored in the overhead console get VERY hot. On a hot day (35C / 95F), the sunglasses become too hot to put on. I’ve taken to storing them in the lower main console but there are a few things in there that can scratch the sunglasses.

Any ideas on how to cool the upper console? Maybe added insulation? Or ventilation holes?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In our 2024 Rebel, sunglasses stored in the overhead console get VERY hot. On a hot day (35C / 95F), the sunglasses become too hot to put on. I’ve taken to storing them in the lower main console but theres are a few things in there that can scratch the sunglasses.

Any ideas on how to cool the upper console? Maybe added insulation? Or ventilation holes?

Thanks for your help!
I have noticed that too. I haven't tried it, but just thought about it while reading your post....put the sunglasses in the holder, but don't close the holder. That has to keep it a bit cooler I would think?!?!

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In our 2024 Rebel, sunglasses stored in the overhead console get VERY hot. On a hot day (35C / 95F), the sunglasses become too hot to put on. I’ve taken to storing them in the lower main console but theres are a few things in there that can scratch the sunglasses.

Thanks for your help!
Are you usi g a sunshade on your windshield and this is happening? My Ram does not have that holder but the challenger does and I dont have this issue as long as I use a sun shade

OP
OP
O

OKGN_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leaving the sunglasses holder open is a good idea but I would be worried about theft. People will break into vehicles for almost anything it seems…

Regarding the sunshade, I’m not sure that would help in our truck as I believe the heat is coming through the roof into the console. Our black truck looks great but I feel it absorbs more heat than a light color.

I think I might try a combination of your ideas. I’ll look at getting a replacement sunglasses holder piece to drill in some ventilation holes/slots, and I’ll also look at add-on pieces for the visors to keep the sun away from the sides of the console.

I wonder if I can put something inconspicuous on the roof to reflect some of the sunlight…

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
In our 2024 Rebel, sunglasses stored in the overhead console get VERY hot. On a hot day (35C / 95F), the sunglasses become too hot to put on. I’ve taken to storing them in the lower main console but there are a few things in there that can scratch the sunglasses.

Thanks for your help!

Would the simplest answer not be to get a decent case for your sunglasses and continue to keep them where they are cool? A case is less than $10, many less than $5.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Snip …

Regarding the sunshade, I’m not sure that would help in our truck as I believe the heat is coming through the roof into the console. Our black truck looks great but I feel it absorbs more heat than a light color.

Snip …
Not just belief or feelings but scientific fact. Black objects absorb almost all light and convert it to heat. White objects reflect almost all light so very little gets converted to heat.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same problem with my sun glasses. I just put them in the center console main compartment leaving the glasses unfolded. No problems with scratches for 2 plus years. I’m weary of what I put in the compartment.

OP
OP
O

OKGN_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The center console it is, and shall remain :cool: My wife also uses the truck so I’ll work out a divider solution to keep an area clear.

Thanks again for your feedback.