Overhead dome light switch not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crow5716

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 ram 3500
When I manually click the light itself to turn it on it won't work, but when I turn on all the interior lights with the dimmer switch they'll come on and will also cut off if I click the light while I have all the interior lights turned on using the dimmer switch. They also still all come on when the door opens.

Nothing has been upgraded or replaced. It's all factory. So the bulbs themselves are good, and they are turning on and off with the cab light switch that's next to the headlight switch along with the door open switch. Just for some reason the manual pressing of each light that used to turn it on when your in the truck no longer works.

That tells me there must be 2 different power sources going to the light, one for the cab light switch and door switch and then a constant power for whenever you manually click the light itself to turn it on but that's just speculation.

So just to review incase people suggest or ask certain things. Bulbs are not bad and everything is factory without any changes or upgrades ever done to it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

OP
OP
C

crow5716

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New question. Does anyone have any suggestions for a Ram forum that is actually helpful? The 2 topics I've posted here have got no help and the other topic with no help is over 6 months old. No disrespect. Just need suggestion on other forums you guys have had luck on with actually getting help to your problems so I can check those out. Thanks

HarryS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 ram 3500
When I manually click the light itself to turn it on it won't work, but when I turn on all the interior lights with the dimmer switch they'll come on and will also cut off if I click the light while I have all the interior lights turned on using the dimmer switch. They also still all come on when the door opens.

Nothing has been upgraded or replaced. It's all factory. So the bulbs themselves are good, and they are turning on and off with the cab light switch that's next to the headlight switch along with the door open switch. Just for some reason the manual pressing of each light that used to turn it on when your in the truck no longer works.

That tells me there must be 2 different power sources going to the light, one for the cab light switch and door switch and then a constant power for whenever you manually click the light itself to turn it on but that's just speculation.

So just to review incase people suggest or ask certain things. Bulbs are not bad and everything is factory without any changes or upgrades ever done to it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
The latest schematic I have is for the 2017. But, according to that, there are 2 different power sources, both come from the BCM. Suggest you check fuse 14, otherwise, the BCM may not be told to supply the power. It comes out of the bcm on pin 13 of C7. A yellow/blue wire. You could also check for power at pin 8 of the body/headliner inline connector. I believe you can find that on the left side of the dash by pulling the access plate off.

OP
OP
C

crow5716

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The latest schematic I have is for the 2017. But, according to that, there are 2 different power sources, both come from the BCM. Suggest you check fuse 14, otherwise, the BCM may not be told to supply the power. It comes out of the bcm on pin 13 of C7. A yellow/blue wire. You could also check for power at pin 8 of the body/headliner inline connector. I believe you can find that on the left side of the dash by pulling the access plate off.
Thank you, I'll check this out