P0441 fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got this code on my 2014 5.7 with 96K miles P0441

Can anyone give me parts and DIY fix for this?

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thx KeepRight, I have been reading about general info on this but was hoping for some specific hemi owner information about specific fixes...

from what I see it may go away... on a recent 300 mile trip I found it odd that on startup, twice or three times the engine idle was terrible for the first 30 seconds, but chaulked it up to damp weather... does not seem to have been a problem in the last week, but yesterday threw the CEL and read the code this morning...

I reset the code and hope it will go away for good

PS I did a search on forum but only saw one unanswer recent thread on same problem

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do rams even have a charcoal cannister?

Ive only had once in my life. On a 96 grand cherokee. I ended up having a broken hose connection

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
thx KeepRight, I have been reading about general info on this but was hoping for some specific hemi owner information about specific fixes...

from what I see it may go away... on a recent 300 mile trip I found it odd that on startup, twice or three times the engine idle was terrible for the first 30 seconds, but chaulked it up to damp weather... does not seem to have been a problem in the last week, but yesterday threw the CEL and read the code this morning...

I reset the code and hope it will go away for good

PS I did a search on forum but only saw one unanswer recent thread on same problem
Check gas cap 1st.........
Location of purge valve:
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1660048/

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had similar problem with old '99 Dodge van as I recall, years back, broken hose on canister... I know about the gas cap... thx for the link

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Incorrect purge flow. That's the definition of that code. You can throw parts at it based upon advice here (shotgun repair) but that can get real expensive.

Perhaps it would help you if you understand the strategy for setting that code and what the ole computer is up to when that code rears its ugly head. Here's a simple generic explanation... Gasoline is a hydrocarbon. Plain and simple. That means it easily changes sate from liquid to gas for a simple explanation... so.... you go to the gas station and gas up in the cool of the day.... and go park in a hot parking lot for the day. That gas will expand greatly and some will off gas and have to go somewhere besides the atmosphere.... and that would be the charcoal canister, where it condenses back into liquid and is held until the computer commands several things needed to burn off those excessive hydrocarbons. The first thing that happens is the computer will command the vent valve to close. Next it will take a reading from the fuel tank pressure sensor and compare the vacuum buildup into a digital voltage signal. Computer will compare that signal to the one programmed into it's files to insure system integrity or that the cap hasn't been left loose..... and if that's ok, will command Purge valve operation in order to suck that extra fuel into the engine and burn them off. During Purge, the computer monitors the rate that the tank pressure signal goes down and compares that to it's programmed parameters.
If the FTP (fuel tank pressure) sensor signal does not match what's in programmed parameters, the computer logs a "Pending DTC with one or more EVAP DTC's. Because it is a "B" code, the computer must see the problem again within a programmed number of failures during subsequent drive cycles. That way, if all you did was leave the gas cap loose, you might add more fuel before that happens and the pending code disappears and the check engine light doesn't come on.

Most often the gas cap is loose or bad with this stand alone code.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
great explanation Sherman Bird...
always up for a little more knowledge about my RAM
THANKS

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Incorrect purge flow. That's the definition of that code. You can throw parts at it based upon advice here (shotgun repair) but that can get real expensive.

Perhaps it would help you if you understand the strategy for setting that code and what the ole computer is up to when that code rears its ugly head. Here's a simple generic explanation... Gasoline is a hydrocarbon. Plain and simple. That means it easily changes sate from liquid to gas for a simple explanation... so.... you go to the gas station and gas up in the cool of the day.... and go park in a hot parking lot for the day. That gas will expand greatly and some will off gas and have to go somewhere besides the atmosphere.... and that would be the charcoal canister, where it condenses back into liquid and is held until the computer commands several things needed to burn off those excessive hydrocarbons. The first thing that happens is the computer will command the vent valve to close. Next it will take a reading from the fuel tank pressure sensor and compare the vacuum buildup into a digital voltage signal. Computer will compare that signal to the one programmed into it's files to insure system integrity or that the cap hasn't been left loose..... and if that's ok, will command Purge valve operation in order to suck that extra fuel into the engine and burn them off. During Purge, the computer monitors the rate that the tank pressure signal goes down and compares that to it's programmed parameters.
If the FTP (fuel tank pressure) sensor signal does not match what's in programmed parameters, the computer logs a "Pending DTC with one or more EVAP DTC's. Because it is a "B" code, the computer must see the problem again within a programmed number of failures during subsequent drive cycles. That way, if all you did was leave the gas cap loose, you might add more fuel before that happens and the pending code disappears and the check engine light doesn't come on.

Most often the gas cap is loose or bad with this stand alone code.
Dear God in heaven.......my next truck will have a carburettor and a manual transmission. And not one, single computer..............

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dear God in heaven.......my next truck will have a carburettor and a manual transmission. And not one, single computer..............

maybe in Heaven, not the the US of A... but I'm with you

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine

wow that just happen to me and your going to laugh how I fixed it ! had gas cap problems few times and this time I look at the o ring on my cap was flatten over the years so I carefully got ring off use little oil cleaned it up use the good side of ring on top when in then tested truck the code went a way never came back ! almost got a new cap again like years a go !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I respectfully disagree sir....plenty of beautiful, old, trucks still for sale in the US of A. Plenty

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Many trucks in Cali from the 70's have zero rust down below. They aren't cheap though, due to smog exemptions they are every desirable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Williamx