P0740 || Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BinaryData

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Dudes, and Dudettes(These exist, right?),

Friday night, I picked up a horse trailer, it was a double slant (2 horses, 3 if they were small). No horses, so I left my truck in Non-Tow Mode. I didn't think about it at the time, but the wind was atrocious, and the road I was driving on is notorious for wrecks. The truckers drive like sports cars, people have no concept of how to drive. For example, I was approaching a truck quite quickly, the car to my left isn't budging, not a damn mph was dropped or increased. So, I honk, they look at me like "What?", ended up having to slam on my brakes or I was going to eat that trucks rear end. In order to get back up to speed, and not have someone eat my brand new trailer, I stepped on it a bit harder than normal. Went from about 2.5k RPMs to about 3k - 3.5k, 5 - 7mph rapid increase.

I pulled over to get gas, check on the horse trailer, and make sure the brakes weren't locking up. Everything was fine, until I hit 60mph again. "DING!" Light comes up. I stopped at AutoZone, and used their ODB2 reader.

The code was;

P0740 - TCC Out of Range. The dudes at AutoZone were clueless as hell as to what this was, and what it did. I called my mechanic buddy, and he said that it was fine to drive home. It was also fine to drive back with the horse, and home again. I did that trip today, truck ran like a champ, minus that Check Engine light.

So, long story short. What do I need to do? I have extended warranty for another 35k miles, and is this considered normal "Wear and Tear". My buddy is an ASE Certified Mechanic, and he said that I didn't screw up the transmission from stepping on it up a hill a few times, while it was super windy. It was trashed before I got it.

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.7L Laramie (Pretty sure it's just an SLT, but this is what comes up with my VIN)

I'm ~110k miles, I bought it with 98k or so on it. I'm hoping this is covered by the extended warranty because I just started school again, and that's eating $1,000 a month for that.

wyo.hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have this problem as well, first time it came on it cleared itself. The second time, not so much, so I took mine to the dealer. Lucky I still had some factory powertrain left and they are replacing the torque converter, transmission solenoid pack, and all the fluids as we speak. All those should be covered under your warranty.

OP
OP
B

BinaryData

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It cleared up by itself. However, the shop is concerned it's going to go out soon. Their advice? "Load that trailer up, and romp that b**** around town until it comes back on..." I love mechanics sometimes. I've put it into Manual mode everytime I haul something heavy. Like a pallet full of concrete bags, or a few bales of hay/alfalfa. I just lost my job a month ago, so I'm trying to not rack up some un-necessary bills.