Rack and Pinion Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DDDillard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greetings!

Just recently picked up a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with around 160k miles. My biggest gripe is that I noticed that there is some excessive play in the steering no matter rather I'm stopped or going down the highway. I have checked an verified it's nothing in the steering wheel or column itself and from what I can tell the ball joints and tie rods are still good.

The only thing I can tell that needs is:
1) Sway arm end links and bushings (shouldn't have to do with the play in the steering)
2) A 4 wheel alignment (positive camber front passenger)

I was told by the previous owner that the Ram has a 2 inch leveling kit, stock wheels, but larger tires which I know will effect the way it drives. I know my Ram has an Electric steering rack and pinion and I've seen numerous videos online about an adjuster nut to tighter the gap between the rack and the pinion that could be causing the play but just not any for my specific truck. Can anybody verify that there is actually an adjuster nut that I can access and fix my issue? Anybody have a similar experience? Thank for any replies!

Dylan,

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have you crawled under and inspected the steering parts while someone is in the cab, turning the wheel back and forth?

I can't think of any other way you'll be able to identify which components have slop. I'd look at the steering column u-joint and tie rod ends.

also, the steering rack mounts to the frame on bushings that allow the rack itself to move a little. Also worth checking out.

I had to replace my rack/pinion recently. In doing so, i disassembled my old one to see if i could repair it. I didn't see anything that would allow the gear mesh interface between the rack gear and pinion gear to be adjusted. Even if such a thing existed, there was a press fit bushing that contained some electronics (steering angle sensor, I think), the was installed over top of the pinion gear. I couldn't remove it without destroying it, and the pinion gear was completely inaccessable under that pressed in electronic stuff.

Last edited: