Radio Display is supper dim, cant see it during the day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
I have a 2009 ram 1500 single cab. I have had it for a few years and the radio always worked although the touch screen has bin not great in the past. Today I jumped in it and the radio is working but the screen is dimly lit but you can't really see it. Its so dim it looks like its not even on. Everything works but you just can't see the display. Have you guys got any idea what might be causing this? Is there a fix?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2009 ram 1500 single cab. I have had it for a few years and the radio always worked although the touch screen has bin not great in the past. Today I jumped in it and the radio is working but the screen is dimly lit but you can't really see it. Its so dim it looks like its not even on. Everything works but you just can't see the display. Have you guys got any idea what might be causing this? Is there a fix?
Its likely the backlight for the screen has failed. It may be best to replace the whole radio.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Arkangel77

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
I drove in this morning before sunrise and it seemed Normal then. If swapping it out is the only way to fix it - dose it require programing to work? I would probably just look for a used unit I guess

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am not sure, but i think my 2009 Ram RA4 radio had a brightness setting
I seem to remember at least a Daylight & Night time setting

OP
OP
Arkangel77

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
I am not sure, but i think my 2009 Ram RA4 radio had a brightness setting
I seem to remember at least a Daylight & Night time setting

It always dimmed itself when it got dark but Now its staying Dark all the time

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It always dimmed itself when it got dark but Now its staying Dark all the time
If you can see it well in low light conditions then the backlight may still be functional. Is your cluster dim too? Its possible the brightness setting is manually turned down.

OP
OP
Arkangel77

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
If you can see it well in low light conditions then the backlight may still be functional. Is your cluster dim too? Its possible the brightness setting is manually turned down.

No my dash is fine. Normal during the day and dims when the headlights come on. The radio backlit is on but its just dim

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No my dash is fine. Normal during the day and dims when the headlights come on. The radio backlit is on but its just dim
OK, on the 2013+ radios there is a separate menu to control backlighting. Have you checked the radio settings menu?

OP
OP
Arkangel77

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
OK, on the 2013+ radios there is a separate menu to control backlighting. Have you checked the radio settings menu?

Dont know how -- I never messed with it. Leme check Online

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the 2009 factory radios were all called MYGIG radios

RES 130 ... AM/FM/CD/WMA and mini jacks
RES 130S ... AM/FM/CD/WMA and mini jacks & what would years later be called Uconnect

REN 430.... AM/FM/CD/DVD/HDD/MP3
RBZ 430 ... same as above

RHR 730N.... basically the same as the RER but with Garmin nav
RER 730N.... AM/FM Stereo with DVD changer, navigation, SDARS, MP3/WMA auxiliary jack

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arkangel77

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
So I sorta feel like an Idiot. I was messing with the settings again and it looks like it got set to night time light setting only. I need to drive it during the day to confirm but I am assuming that I fubared it when I was changing the clock some kinda way for DST. I was able to tweek the settings and set it to day/night or whatever its called in the menu. Thanks for the help guys. I actually wont be able to confirm until Friday because of my work scheadule

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I sorta feel like an Idiot. I was messing with the settings again and it looks like it got set to night time light setting only. I need to drive it during the day to confirm but I am assuming that I fubared it when I was changing the clock some kinda way for DST. I was able to tweek the settings and set it to day/night or whatever its called in the menu. Thanks for the help guys. I actually wont be able to confirm until Friday because of my work scheadule
Easy fixes are the best fixes!