Random Car Picture Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Catfish handling a kitty. Wild one this is my closes track, but it’s ghetto. Hopefully the link works.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Who had one?

Those came out a little after my speed demon days, but a buddy of mine did have one with the "His and Hers" Dual Gate. If I remember correctly, it had a key to lock out the manual gate.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Perfect, 6-Mile 1990 Chevrolet 1LE IROC Z28 Camaro Uncovered in Basement!​

Tucked away for 34 years this rare third-gen Camaro is untouched and perfectly original!
Steven RuppWriterSep 03, 2024

001 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

We’ve all seen the stories about the cars that become “accidental” barn finds. These are cool rides that were stored away to be worked on eventually, or maybe ones where the owners didn’t have time and sort of forgot about them. But what if just the right car was bought and hidden away on purpose? Well, then, what you end up with can truly be spectacular. Such is the case with the 1990 Z28 1LE IROC Camaro that’s been hidden in a basement for 34 years. Oh, and get this: It has 6 miles on the odometer and was never plated or driven!

002 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

Yeah, you read that’s right, 6 freaking miles! This perfectly optioned third-gen 1LE Camaro was bought and then rolled into storage where it was forgotten for over three decades. The result is what must be the most perfectly preserved, lowest-mile 1LE IROC Z28 Camaro on the planet.
003 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

Our story starts out with Camaro lover Donald Toalston. Toalston first read of the “Ordered to Go” Camaro 1LE in Car Craft magazine in March of 1989. Later that same year he read a story in Super Chevy magazine called The Secret Camaro. These two stories convinced Tolston that this was the Camaro he HAD to have (see the letter from him in the gallery).

004 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

He hit up Lavery Chevrolet in Alliance, Ohio, to get the properly optioned Camaro. If Lavery sounds familiar it’s because it was a high-performance dealer in the 1960s and sold COPO #65, a 1969 Camaro with the ultra-rare 9737 option! The 1990 Camaro was delivered by Cassens Transport Company from the Camaro plant on January 4, 1990, to Lavery Chevrolet. Notice the rare radio- and sticker-delete options.
005 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

Find a car near you
Once delivered to Lavery the 1990 1LE Z28 IROC Camaro went through their pre-delivery inspection (PDI). Toalston made sure the dealership carefully removed the window sticker, and found the car’s build sheet, which clearly shows the 1LE option code along with specifics such as the decal and radio-delete options. After the PDI the rare Camaro sat on the dealer’s showroom floor for two weeks before being transported by flatbed to Toalston’s attorney’s building and maneuvered into a corner of the basement. At this point it had 6.3 miles on the odometer and was never even plated!
006 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

And there it sat, properly stored on jackstands, under a car cover for 34 years. It was at this point that collector Jeff Makovich entered the picture. (You might remember Makovich from the story we did on his 1969 Camaro COPO barn find.) Well, he received a call from a racing friend about a low-mile 1LE IROC Camaro that was available at an estate sale, since the owner had passed away. Makovich got in contact with Merrily, Toalston's niece, and the pair struck a deal for the time-capsule Camaro. Makovich was the first person to pull back the car cover since her uncle passed away and it was an emotional moment for everyone involved.

007 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

Makovich assembled a small team, including his dad and best friend, Matt, to extract the Camaro from the basement tomb. After removing the cover and opening the doors the crew saw that the interior was absolutely mint! The dealer floormats were still in place and all the original books and paperwork were in the center console. The car was perfect, without a scratch, and the engine had all its original belts and hoses. The tires were aired-up and the Camaro was removed from the jackstands and put on wheel dollies to make getting it out of the basement easier. The team also had to remove all the bookcases and other items that filled the basement so the Camaro could be removed.
008 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

Makovich recalled, “Once we got the car free and clear we pushed it down the long hall. When the car was originally delivered there wasn’t a ramp, just a loading dock that the flatbed backed up to, so we were lucky that in the last 30-plus years someone installed the ramp.” This was the first time the 1LE had seen daylight since January 4, 1990!
009 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

Once it was safely relocated to Makovich’s house he had Shawn from Next Level Auto Detailing bring the Camaro’s finish back to life and give the 1LE Z28 IROC Camaro a careful detailing.
It turns out the Camaro was indeed perfectly preserved thanks to the foresight of Donald Toalston. Makovich is currently getting the 1LE Z28 IROC Camaro ready to fire up by replacing the oil, flushing the radiator, and attending to other long overdue maintenance items. Once it's ready we’re sure to see this preserved piece of Camaro history on display at events around the country.
010 1990 IROC 1LE Z28 Camaro Barn Find Basement Lowest Miles
See All 43 Photos

Photos provided by Jeff Makovich

Trending​

AllArticlesVideosCars

https://www.motortrend.com/videos/3...brothers-talk-design-sema-their-origin-story/

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
You can't make this stuff up. I take my wife to her eye Dr's appointment tonight, and a Spot a gorgeous Z28 in the lot. While she's inside I stroll over to take a look. I see the mall security guard walking around and thought he might know who's it was. He laughs and says, yeah, it's his. We a great talk, he bought it brand new in "81 when he joined the Marines. Had a friend of his redo the anemic 305, it's now a 355 putting out about 400HP. Had it repainted the original color around 2005, still drives it on nice days, only has 76k on it. And to think I really didn't want to go, but forced myself because I knew she wouldn't be able to see. Glad I did.

IMG_1436.jpgIMG_1437.jpgIMG_1438.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You can't make this stuff up. I take my wife to her eye Dr's appointment tonight, and a Spot a gorgeous Z28 in the lot. While she's inside I stroll over to take a look. I see the mall security guard walking around and thought he might know who's it was. He laughs and says, yeah, it's his. We a great talk, he bought it brand new in "81 when he joined the Marines. Had a friend of his redo the anemic 305, it's now a 355 putting out about 400HP. Had it repainted the original color around 2005, still drives it on nice days, only has 76k on it. And to think I really didn't want to go, but forced myself because I knew she wouldn't be able to see. Glad I did.

View attachment 550118View attachment 550119View attachment 550120
That's where being in Canada was a benefit,as the Canuck Z's still had 350's while the US cars were stuck with a 305 in 81.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's where being in Canada was a benefit,as the Canuck Z's still had 350's while the US cars were stuck with a 305 in 81.
Chevy screwed up with the 305. That was an awful engine. My dad had a 85 short bed square box that was a year old when he got it and it was already burning oil like crazy.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500

If I remember correctly, you could only get the 4 speeds with the 305, the automatics came with the 350.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Chevy screwed up with the 305. That was an awful engine. My dad had a 85 short bed square box that was a year old when he got it and it was already burning oil like crazy.

LOL, yeah, oil consumption was a problem for them, it wasn't much better than the old 307's. And all this time everyone thought the hemi had camshaft issues...LOL

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
LOL, yeah, oil consumption was a problem for them, it wasn't much better than the old 307's. And all this time everyone thought the hemi had camshaft issues...LOL
Or blown head gaskets good grief those motors were terrible. My dad and I bought a few in the mid to late 90s and early 00s low mileage ones every one of them ended up having major engine issues that had to be addressed.

OP
OP
Treburkulosis

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I present to you the Iroc Catfish. Why do I want to believe some dude with a mullet who had an iroc back in the 80s lived in a trailer park and has 5 kids by 4 different women won the lottery? This is what he did. That is a pretty sweet Dukes flag in the background.

458475317_8452292121498345_359318722993558055_n.jpeg