Rear Axle Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Continuing my brake noise saga, I pulled my drivers rear axle seal and bearing, and here I am so far:

After pulling, I noticed some roughness in the bearing bore:

Bottom:
20240831_153258.jpg
Top:
20240831_153321.jpg

I cannot afford a new rear end, hope I can clean it up with some fine emery cloth. Top of OE bearing:
20240831_154651.jpg

I don't have much choice at the present except to clean it up and install new bearings and seals, and hope for the best.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I hit the top with some 2000 paper, looks much better, I can only do what I can do.
20240831_160252.jpg
Makes me wonder if that bearing was getting hot under load.

It did not want to come out that easy, either.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Both new bearings went in with no issues.
20240831_172420.jpg

20240831_172357.jpg
The seals also went in with no issues. Installed the seals, gave the bearings a shot of 75w-140 and reinstalled the axles. Will close up and fill the diff tomorrow.
20240831_180045.jpg

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Permatex Ultra Red that I got said to "figer tight for 1 hour, then torque, allow 24 hours to fully cure"

Crap. I probably could get away with less time, but gonna let it go til tomorrow.

Reinstalled my calipers and tires.

Fingers crossed.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The Permatex Ultra Red that I got said to "figer tight for 1 hour, then torque, allow 24 hours to fully cure"

Crap. I probably could get away with less time, but gonna let it go til tomorrow.

Reinstalled my calipers and tires.

Fingers crossed.

So, what happenned? Did it work?

The suspense is killin me!

:cool:

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So, what happenned? Did it work?

The suspense is killin me!

:cool:
Yes, that part was fine, but I also had noise from the front as well, so gonna go ahead and do new pads there on Sat.

Was definately weird having two issues at the same time, but perfectly normal for me, I have that kind of luck... lol.

I had 80k on these sets of pads, so they do not owe me anything, and since I was gonna service the diff at 200k, I'm only 7k ish away.

I could not see any issues with the rear bearings, except that scarring on the OD and the corresponding bore scratching. So, I'm glad I have 2 new OE bearings installed. Got both from RockAuto for the price of 1 from my local dealer.

I think I do need to tighten my e-brakes just a little, I have alot of pedal travel before they grab.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, that part was fine, but I also had noise from the front as well, so gonna go ahead and do new pads there on Sat.

Was definately weird having two issues at the same time, but perfectly normal for me, I have that kind of luck... lol.

I had 80k on these sets of pads, so they do not owe me anything, and since I was gonna service the diff at 200k, I'm only 7k ish away.

I could not see any issues with the rear bearings, except that scarring on the OD and the corresponding bore scratching. So, I'm glad I have 2 new OE bearings installed. Got both from RockAuto for the price of 1 from my local dealer.

I think I do need to tighten my e-brakes just a little, I have alot of pedal travel before they grab.

Yea, for the bearings, it doesn't matter so much what the surface finish in the bore is like. As long as the outer race presses in firmly and remains centered and square to the axle's axis of rotation. The surface finish that really matters are the polished faces that the bearing roller elements ride on.

I've installed new bearings in old lathes and milling machines with bores that looked like hammered ass. As long as the bearings are quality, they always cut good and accurate.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yea, for the bearings, it doesn't matter so much what the surface finish in the bore is like. As long as the outer race presses in firmly and remains centered and square to the axle's axis of rotation. The surface finish that really matters are the polished faces that the bearing roller elements ride on.

I've installed new bearings in old lathes and milling machines with bores that looked like hammered ass. As long as the bearings are quality, they always cut good and accurate.
Kinda what I figured. Funny thing: I originally bought 2 bearings and seals from O'Reilly, was about $68. Made in China, not surprised.

When I opened the boxes, one bearing was in a sealed bag, and one was not. When I looked closer, the bearing that was loose was marked USA, an OE bearing, but a couple rollers had rust. No bueno. Got a refund, and ordered the OE bearings and a couple National Seal brand seals from RockAuto.

I had one hell of a time pulling that driver side bearing out of the tube, I had to install a heavier slide on my puller to persuade it.

I figured that it is surrounded by oil, and my bore wasn't super-damaged, so I should be ok. I am glad that they are changed, one less thing to worry about, and the inside of my diff looked good to me for having almost 193,000 miles.

My rear pads are from O'Reilly's, I wish I had waited to get Wagner Thermoquiets, but it is what it is. Fronts will be Wagner TQ's, semi-metallics are good for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update:

I feel like a total idiot, when I started in on the front pads, I have contact with the backing plate on the passenger side inside pad.

Not totally sure what happened, but I missed it big time. Looks as if I might have lost a friction pad.

The rotor is gouged, I've seen much worse, I could be a cheap ass and just put pads on, but put my tire back on and gonna wait for a couple rotors from RockAuto, Wagners $30 each vs. local here for $90 each.

Learned a couple lessons. It sucks, but I still am glad having done the rear bearings, seals, and diff service.