Rear coil question on 2021 1500 Classic Warlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Win94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As everyone knows, the real coils on the 1500 Classic are crap. I want to upgrade, and I've seen people recommend the Tuff Truck HD coils. I want to keep my same ride height - since I understand Warlocks ride about an inch higher than stock, I'm looking at the TTC-1223V which give a 3/4" lift over stock, so about the same ride height.

However, I noticed in the FAQs that they don't recommend these coils be used for towing because it's a "variable rate coil, so if it were to be used for towing, the back end would drop two inches before the second stage started to work". I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what that even means. Anyone have experience with these, or just general thoughts on the matter?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As everyone knows, the real coils on the 1500 Classic are crap. I want to upgrade, and I've seen people recommend the Tuff Truck HD coils. I want to keep my same ride height - since I understand Warlocks ride about an inch higher than stock, I'm looking at the TTC-1223V which give a 3/4" lift over stock, so about the same ride height.

However, I noticed in the FAQs that they don't recommend these coils be used for towing because it's a "variable rate coil, so if it were to be used for towing, the back end would drop two inches before the second stage started to work". I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what that even means. Anyone have experience with these, or just general thoughts on the matter?

A spring starts life as a straight bar. To compress the spring the bar actually twists,so the longer the bar,the less force it takes to twist it.The principle behind a progressive spring is to basically make the original bar longer,and then roll more tightly wound coils into it,that'll twist a fair bit,until they're basically collapsed,before the second stage of the spring kicks in.Look at the aftermarket springs,and you'll see one end of the spring has several tightly wound coils,that's the progressive part of the spring.
It helps to think of a spring as a bar,clamp one end of that bar in a vise,then get on the end of it with a big ole pipe wrench and see how far you can twist the bar,now shorten that bar up by a couple feet,and see how much harder it is to generate the same amount of twist on the shorter bar.That's basically the idea behind a progressive spring,the bar is longer with more coils.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi

The warlock sits the same height as other trucks in the rear, the only difference in ride height is in the front. Ram has a bunch of part numbers for rear springs depending on cab configuration, fuel tank size, payload, etc, but they should be about the same height.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

This is when you reach out to @Nick@GotExhaust click on the name select start a conversation and explain what you’ll be towing and how much it weighs. Then he can get you a set of springs that will give you the best ride/capability

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The warlock sits the same height as other trucks in the rear, the only difference in ride height is in the front. Ram has a bunch of part numbers for rear springs depending on cab configuration, fuel tank size, payload, etc, but they should be about the same height.
Incorrect, warlocks have approximately 0.7” taller rear springs to match the front. Same with outdoorsmans.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Incorrect, warlocks have approximately 0.7” taller rear springs to match the front. Same with outdoorsmans.
That is true. For the 5th Gen trucks at least they call it an orp (package) so we can keep it somewhat straight. But Ram needs to stop making so many models it drives me nuts. Trying to lay packages out over the phone is always a party to make them sit perfect

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are part numbers comparing the rear springs from a 2016 outdoorsman (my old truck) to my current big horn. You'll notice that the outdoorsman and bighorn share a common rear coil. Big horn driver side is used on outdoorsman passenger side. Outdoorsman gets slightly heavier spring on driver side due to the 32 gallon tank, hence the different part number. Overall height is going to be the same, while spring rate will vary. Payload package on the outdoorsman is typically slightly higher. Also, my current big horn did not have the increased ride height package.
The top numbers are outdoorsman numbers. , lower are big horn.
Screenshot_20240418-054846.png

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are part numbers comparing the rear springs from a 2016 outdoorsman (my old truck) to my current big horn. You'll notice that the outdoorsman and bighorn share a common rear coil. Big horn driver side is used on outdoorsman passenger side. Outdoorsman gets slightly heavier spring on driver side due to the 32 gallon tank, hence the different part number. Overall height is going to be the same, while spring rate will vary. Payload package on the outdoorsman is typically slightly higher. Also, my current big horn did not have the increased ride height package.
The top numbers are outdoorsman numbers. , lower are big horn.
View attachment 541331
You just explained how they sit higher. Move the heavier spring over to the lighter side, and add an even heavier spring in to the driver side. Anyone who’s ever changed the ride height on a warlock or outdoorsman can tell you that and I’m certainly one of those, lol. How else do you explain that my outdoorsman with 1.5” rear coil spacers is the exact same height as my SLT with 2.5” lift coils?

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You just explained how they sit higher. Move the heavier spring over to the lighter side, and add an even heavier spring in to the driver side. Anyone who’s ever changed the ride height on a warlock or outdoorsman can tell you that and I’m certainly one of those, lol. How else do you explain that my outdoorsman with 1.5” rear coil spacers is the exact same height as my SLT with 2.5” lift coils?

You're adding weight to the driver side with the bigger fuel tank. You're offsetting that weight with a slightly stiffer spring. I've had both trucks. An outdoorsman and a big horn. My big horn with 1.5" rear spacers and 2" front struts is significantly taller than my outdoorsman, all the way around.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're adding weight to the driver side with the bigger fuel tank. You're offsetting that weight with a slightly stiffer spring. I've had both trucks. An outdoorsman and a big horn. My big horn with 1.5" rear spacers and 2" front struts is significantly taller than my outdoorsman, all the way around.
Your saying 6 gallons difference in fuel tank size, weighing less then 40lbs assuming both are completely full, cancels out the heavier springs lol.