Rear Pinion Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2010 Ram 1500, I have noticed there is leaking at the rear diff and I have a howling when coasting between 30-40mph. I am assuming the pinion seal is the culprit but I've never replaced one before.

I saw the torque spec for the Pinion Seal NUT is 210 ft lb and the flange bolts is 85 ft lb.

I am newer to trucks and have heard about pre-load. is this something I need to worry about with only replacing the seal? I plan to reuse the pinion seal nut and the flange bolts.

FYI this truck has 245k miles, no other issues, I have owned it for 8 months so far and it's my first truck. I have done some work on other cars so I do have some mechanical know-how.

Any assistance to this newbie would be greatly appreciated!

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The nut should be replaced, I would order it ahead of time but be warned it's kinda expensive. It's staked with a chisel, often gets destroyed upon removal or if you actually get it off in tact, chances of it lining up in the exact same spot are pretty likely meaning you won't be able to re-stake it upon re-installation. I had a hard time getting the flange off the pinion, seemed like some sort of thread sealer was used so expect a little bit of a fight on that. Also I lost about half a quart of fluid from the pinion upon removing the seal so make sure you have some on hand to top it back off when you finish, otherwise it's a good beginner/intermediate repair.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2010 Ram 1500, I have noticed there is leaking at the rear diff and I have a howling when coasting between 30-40mph. I am assuming the pinion seal is the culprit but I've never replaced one before.

I saw the torque spec for the Pinion Seal NUT is 210 ft lb and the flange bolts is 85 ft lb.

I am newer to trucks and have heard about pre-load. is this something I need to worry about with only replacing the seal? I plan to reuse the pinion seal nut and the flange bolts.

FYI this truck has 245k miles, no other issues, I have owned it for 8 months so far and it's my first truck. I have done some work on other cars so I do have some mechanical know-how.

Any assistance to this newbie would be greatly appreciated!
Check for a recall,some of the earlier trucks had pinion nut issues,and there was a recall issued for them.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The pinion seal won't cause howling. Worn gears do. Get the weight off the rear wheels and see if you can move the flange in any direction. If you can plan a rear diff rebuild or replacement. At the very least pull the cover and look things over, or have someone who knows what it should look like do it.
I'd bet the gear oil has never been changed and the gears or bearings are about ready to retire, that's a lot of miles on oem fluid.
It's also possible that the carrier bearing on the driveshaft is bad, if so equipped.

OP
OP
N

new2trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The pinion seal won't cause howling. Worn gears do. Get the weight off the rear wheels and see if you can move the flange in any direction. If you can plan a rear diff rebuild or replacement. At the very least pull the cover and look things over, or have someone who knows what it should look like do it.
I'd bet the gear oil has never been changed and the gears or bearings are about ready to retire, that's a lot of miles on oem fluid.
It's also possible that the carrier bearing on the driveshaft is bad, if so equipped.
I had my mechanic look the truck over when I purchased it and he wasn't concerned. Said just to keep an eye on the fluid level, which I have done monthly. No carrier bearing on 1500's.

OP
OP
N

new2trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks, but nobody has answered the question about pre-load. Do I need to worry about that when I'm only replacing the seal?

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any time I've done a pinion seal, I've run off the nut with an impact. That takes care of the staked spot without damaging anything. I then put the same nut back in exactly the same position and restake it. This method has never failed me on the many I've done on different makes. That said, I have not done one one a recent ram truck so take the suggestion for what it's worth. Bad things can happen if you try to rely on a torque tightening spec on these things.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any time I've done a pinion seal, I've run off the nut with an impact. That takes care of the staked spot without damaging anything. I then put the same nut back in exactly the same position and restake it. This method has never failed me on the many I've done on different makes. That said, I have not done one one a recent ram truck so take the suggestion for what it's worth. Bad things can happen if you try to rely on a torque tightening spec on these things.
Yes, you can mark the nut to the pinion and count the treads before you take it off then just return it to that position when you finish the seal replacement.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
tons of YouTube videos on how to do i properly. Dont be a hack and just count threads. :banghead:

Screenshot 2024-05-10 042516.jpg

Last edited: