Remote Start Not Working at all.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie with a 5.7 hemi. Love the truck. But I have a remote with remote start button and the remote start just does not work on it. Here is what I know so far.

-Battery replaced in key fob
-Hood latch sensor does not show hood is open
-Truck has a full tank of gas
-I looked up VIN and truck came with remote start installed
-There is no option on the 8.4 for me to enable remote start anywhere in the settings.
-EVIC shows nothing when I try to hit remote start twice from outside truck (while truck is locked).

The key fob also has the window roll down function which does not work either.

Any advice? TIA

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie with a 5.7 hemi. Love the truck. But I have a remote with remote start button and the remote start just does not work on it. Here is what I know so far.

-Battery replaced in key fob
-Hood latch sensor does not show hood is open
-Truck has a full tank of gas
-I looked up VIN and truck came with remote start installed
-There is no option on the 8.4 for me to enable remote start anywhere in the settings.
-EVIC shows nothing when I try to hit remote start twice from outside truck (while truck is locked).

The key fob also has the window roll down function which does not work either.

Any advice? TIA
Sounds like it's not the correct fob for the truck,as they never had an optional window down fob in 18 as far as i know

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Try pressing the FOB PANIC Button

That is the first thing to try
That tells you if the Ram is talking to the FOB & visa versa

It also checks the battery function, if the FOB works for years & then does not.

Of course it lets you know where you left your vehicle

OP
OP
Twest34

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try pressing the FOB PANIC Button

That is the first thing to try
That tells you if the Ram is talking to the FOB & visa versa

It also checks the battery function, if the FOB works for years & then does not.

Of course it lets you know where you left your vehicle
I tested out panic button on fob and it works just fine

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds like you only have one fob? (truck came with two)

Other than the things you list, getting a new fob would likely be easiest and most likely to help.

OP
OP
Twest34

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you only have one fob? (truck came with two)

Other than the things you list, getting a new fob would likely be easiest and most likely to help.
I’ve got 2 key fobs. One with remote start and window roll down option. One with just lock, unlock, and panic.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nope. No codes, no CEL. Nothing

Open up the fob and make sure it has the contact cup in place under the remote start button. Sometimes they come loose and float around loose inside the fob. And make sure that some previous owner didn't replace the circuit board with one from Amazon or Ebay, that doesn't have the remote start circuitry.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve got 2 key fobs. One with remote start and window roll down option. One with just lock, unlock, and panic.
One of them must be aftermarket if they are different. As someone said, window roll-down likely wasn't a factory option in 2018. I'm guessing the problem is fob related rather than the truck but hard to say. Dealing with fobs used to be a PITA and you had to go to the dealer but I see a lot of locksmiths advertising they can do it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You definitely have an After Market non Mopar remote start product,
Mopar never made a FOB with remote start and window roll down option

This is what MOPAR Remote Start FOB for 2009 - 2012 looks like
MY 2016 Ram also looks like that

1724628662204.png

I know that there was a FOB Key Dance that you could do with my old 2009, there was no button for it, but the windows would Open, once you did the key dance, they did not close though.
I would sometimes walk outside & it would be raining & my windows had opened, used to irritate me.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Video about Mopar Remotes, many ppl don't know these simple things

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is mine , for my '14 , touchless entry, push button start, which I presume you would have on a Laramie in '18 My remote button is getting a bit worn, I don't use it that much
I think the last owner bought some aftermarket crap and its not programed.
Do the lock unlock work?
DSC00014.JPG

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
BTW have you checked the key to see if it fits the door lock that is in the fob?
One time I ran up town at night and left the key ring at home, locked the doors at the store, came out and truck would not pick up the fob, could not open doors, bought new battery did not help, had to get wife out of bed to bring me her set, I never did that again.
And a PS, after I started it with the key fob pushing on the start button, both fobs still work fine. this has happened 2 times since I bought the truck new. And it will set off the alarm if the fob can't be picked up by the truck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twest34

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMG_0459.jpegIMG_0460.jpegThanks everyone for their replies. I am convinced that 1 of the keys that was given to me by the previous owner is definitely aftermarket based on what everyone has said. I took out my “spare” to compare and it looks like 1 key has a ram logo on the back and the key with the window roll down and remote start does not have the ram logo. I appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks for helping me out.

Now time to figure out if the truck actually has remote start.

OP
OP
Twest34

Twest34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is mine , for my '14 , touchless entry, push button start, which I presume you would have on a Laramie in '18 My remote button is getting a bit worn, I don't use it that much
I think the last owner bought some aftermarket crap and its not programed.
Do the lock unlock work?
View attachment 549428
Lock and unlock works, panic button works. I think they had the aftermarket key programmed to the truck but never tried to do the remote start. Oh well. I posted pics of my remotes. I also don’t have touchless entry nor push to start. Thank you for the help

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Neither my old 2009 or newer 2016 Rams had anything but Insert the FOB into the Ignition to Start & Drive

personally, i don't care for the Smart FOBs or push Start

much to fancy & i believe easier to steal

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would sometimes walk outside & it would be raining & my windows had opened, used to irritate me.
Pretty sure this is why most (all?) manufacturers stopped that feature. My daily driver is a 2008 Honda Odyssey and it has the feature but I've never had it nuisance trigger like on another vehicle (can't remember which but it did it frequently). It's actually a REALLY nice feature (I live in Maui and regularly use it). Honda seems to have it figured out... you have to push the unlock button once then a second time and hold it down. I have had my Ram fire from the remote start unintentionally a handful of times (that I know about anyway.... could easily happen more that I was unaware of it I didn't walk to my truck within 10 minutes).

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could open the ram one and see if there are contacts on the board and in the rubber front buttons on the center button , or just go to the truck and push it 2 times, it may start.
, if the battery is OK.
If you bought it from a dealer, go back and tell them to make it right, If you can find a build sheet , it will tell you if you have remote start. I have my build sheet.
I would think you should have, dealer may know what to look for if it has or not, I don't know about that part.
Remote start will not work if any doors or hood are open

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
even if the truck didnt "come" with it, it takes very little to "install" it yourself

all you need it to ground out pin 12 (if i remember correctly) to make the truck think the hood latch has a switch and it is closed, and use alpha OBD to turn "remote start" to present and you're golden

oh, and while you're in there, turn "global down" on and that 4th button will work too