Remote start starting vehicle on its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickheaps819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve got a 2019 1500 classic Warlock that started to fire up when I walk by the vehicle without even using the remote start. It started with the latest Econnect update. Started with the open function opening the vehicle now it remote starts all by itself. Thought it might have been a fob battery issue so changed the battery out but it’s still
Doing it. It doesn’t do it every time but it is becoming an issue. And at times the remote start button doesn’t work.

Is anyone else having issues?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The usual complaint is the fob not working at times or not at all
Sounds like you need to pull the remote completely apart and clean the circuit board.

OP
OP
N

nickheaps819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d say it’s the remote as well but the truck starts even when the remote is hanging up. And the truck is out of range if the remote. I’m thinking a computer issue. It didn’t do it until the most recent connect update.

retiring-again

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi-5.7
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Classic that just started this. Went to the store yesterday. We came back out to the truck, and all the XM Radio presets were gone. Like it had a reboot. Since then, I've seen the truck remote start just by walking towards it carrying the remote. Changed the battery in the fob because that is what I got from the Google gods. It started by itself again an hour ago. Not sure what is going on. just noticed this occurring this past week.

I hope there is someone here who can answer what is going on.

Last edited:

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had similar weird stuff occur when the little contact cups inside the key fob came loose from the rubber in the FOB. They come loose and just kinda float around inside the fob, making contacts with whatever they want, whenever they want.

Every time the train came by or the dog ran past the key rack, my truck would either remote start or unlock ifself.

I used super glue to glue them back in-place.

I think there are a few videos floating around on how to do this repair. I'll try and find one.

Edited to add:

Here is an old thread on the issue. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/key-fob-issue-and-how-i-fixed-it.94588/

Here is a video. He used some kinda Permatex stuff. I used superglue to fix mine sometime in 2017, and so far they are still holding up.

Last edited:

retiring-again

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi-5.7
I had similar weird stuff occur when the little contact cups inside the key fob came loose from the rubber in the FOB. They come loose and just kinda float around inside the fob, making contacts with whatever they want, whenever they want.

Every time the train came by or the dog ran past the key rack, my truck would either remote start or unlock ifself.

I used super glue to glue them back in-place.

I think there are a few videos floating around on how to do this repair. I'll try and find one.

Edited to add:

Here is an old thread on the issue. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/key-fob-issue-and-how-i-fixed-it.94588/

Here is a video. He used some kinda Permatex stuff. I used superglue to fix mine sometime in 2017, and so far they are still holding up.

Worked like a champ! Thank you so much!

OP
OP
N

nickheaps819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: based on the replies I checked the FOB. Instead, one of the contacts had come off the rubber push buttons and was shorting across other contacts. I grabbed a replacement off Amazon and swapped the rubber out and no issues now. Little different rubber topper but it went back together no issues.

Thanks for the comments.