Resonator delete a good idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffeschjeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a Magnaflow 22" on my truck which has been on for about 4 months, with totalflow 5 inch tips. Anyone got experience without the resonators?

Trying to decide if it would be a good idea or not. I know the cat back kit comes without reso's but I can't seem to find a video of how it sounds on youtube.

Attachments

• 20240729_083721.jpg
    20240729_083721.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 17

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe I remember reading that it was not worth the time effort removing them.

If anything they help with the drone & the magnaflow is not broken in yet, it will get louder.

P.S. the Borla touring I put on has resonators in the tailpipes like factory.

OP
OP
ffeschjeff

ffeschjeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only if you disable MDS, otherwise if you like 2 stroke Evinrude V4 outboard noise, that's what you'll have.
that bad huh? there is so much imformation and mis-information about MDS that i'm just going to leave it alone. if it sounds bad then i'll leave the reso's

OP
OP
ffeschjeff

ffeschjeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe I remember reading that it was not worth the time effort removing them.

If anything they help with the drone & the magnaflow is not broken in yet, it will get louder.

P.S. the Borla touring I put on has resonators in the tailpipes like factorI believe I remember reading that it was not worth the time effort removing them.
I went form a 14" which was a drone monster, to the 22" and there is hardly any drone on it which is great just didn't know if removing the reso's would improve the system any. i'll more then likley keep them and see how the 22" breaks in.

fly3po

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a Magnaflow 22" on my truck which has been on for about 4 months, with totalflow 5 inch tips. Anyone got experience without the resonators?

Trying to decide if it would be a good idea or not. I know the cat back kit comes without reso's but I can't seem to find a video of how it sounds on youtube.
I have a 2023 Limited with 5.7. I am running a Flowmaster Super 10 with resonator deletes and 5" Carven tips. Sounds great, no drone. Only loud if you want it to be. Check out Exhaust Addics on YouTube. He has a ton of videos with Rams with every kind of muffler/muffler delete w/wo resonators. Good luck.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2023 Limited with 5.7. I am running a Flowmaster Super 10 with resonator deletes and 5" Carven tips. Sounds great, no drone. Only loud if you want it to be. Check out Exhaust Addics on YouTube. He has a ton of videos with Rams with every kind of muffler/muffler delete w/wo resonators. Good luck.

I have a hard time believing anything flowmaster has no drone...

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No resonators front or rear and it sounds great with MDS off but crap otherwise when it cuts in and out. This has been a general theme for me across several truck/exhaust brands FWIW.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth, I have a Flowmaster 50HD catback with no resonators and it sounds great with no drone. I had the same muffler a couple of years before and I had it welded in while still using the factory tailpipes (with resonators) and it sounded good but had a slight drone to it. Not sure what the difference is, but without the resonators, the exhaust has a better sound/tone and no drone.

I don't have your 22" magna flow, but I would recommend removing the resonators if nothing else for the improved sound you'll get. I don't think the resonators really do that much to eliminate drone in the first place.

OP
OP
ffeschjeff

ffeschjeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what it's worth, I have a Flowmaster 50HD catback with no resonators and it sounds great with no drone. I had the same muffler a couple of years before and I had it welded in while still using the factory tailpipes (with resonators) and it sounded good but had a slight drone to it. Not sure what the difference is, but without the resonators, the exhaust has a better sound/tone and no drone.

I don't have your 22" magna flow, but I would recommend removing the resonators if nothing else for the improved sound you'll get. I don't think the resonators really do that much to eliminate drone in the first place.
yeah that's what i was thinking i may go to a junk yard and pull two tailpipes off a wrecked ram and cut the reso's out of them and see how it sounds. if i don't like it i can change back.