Rumors for 2025 HDs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Saw a video from about 3 months ago with a guy talking about the RAM HD's going only to the ZF 8 speed transmission for the Hemi and the Cummins.

Also the guy was speaking about Cummins coming out with a 7.1L Cummins. Sounds like BS to me, but I haven't seen anything on the RAM Trucks website for 2025 options as of yet.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The ZF Powerline is likely for the Cummins trucks. They will stay with the current ZF 8HP for the 6.4, except Cab and Chassis trucks that option for the PTO.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ZF 8 speed is true, I have not heard a single rumor about a 7.1 so I am sure that is BS. The word on the engine is a single output vs a SO and HO option.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
See, I don't care as much about the transmission - the 6 speed behind my CTD is just fine, doesn't hunt for gears, etc.

What I WOULD like to see is the crew cab to be redesigned similar to the 1500's - the rear doors (and in fact the entire cab) on my wife's 1500 are about 3" longer than my 2500, leading to a more comfortable rear seat experience for passengers. Her truck, despite being the little 5'7" bed, is only a few inches shorter than my truck, despite me having a foot more box than she does. From what I understand the Megacab doesn't really net you anything in FRONT of the seat, just gets you some storage behind it, which I don't need. It also eats into the box space, which is a problem for me.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
See, I don't care as much about the transmission - the 6 speed behind my CTD is just fine, doesn't hunt for gears, etc.
Same. But I would not object to a taller final gear.
From what I understand the Megacab doesn't really net you anything in FRONT of the seat, just gets you some storage behind it, which I don't need. It also eats into the box space, which is a problem for me.
You get about 3 more inches of rear legroom with the Megacab. Plus reclining seats that fold flat. The tranny tunnel is pretty much gone too. The only way it eats into the box space is that you can't get the 8' box in a Megacab. The normal/short box is 6' 4" on both.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From what I understand the Megacab doesn't really net you anything in FRONT of the seat, just gets you some storage behind it, which I don't need. It also eats into the box space, which is a problem for me.

Not true at all, Jejb pretty much covered it in his post above....

Rammer Hammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What read and I don't remember where or maybe it was a video not sure, is that only one diesel motor will be offered in only the HO version. The transmission will change to the 8-speed. It is supposed to gain mpg's. I am sure the HO V-6 will replace the Hemi. Minor tweak to front but nothing else. I decided to go with the 2024 because the way I plan on using the truck none of the updates will help me plus I am sure it will cost more.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
AZ - 83 Miles SW of the Geographical Center
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What read and I don't remember where or maybe it was a video not sure, is that only one diesel motor will be offered in only the HO version. The transmission will change to the 8-speed. It is supposed to gain mpg's. I am sure the HO V-6 will replace the Hemi. Minor tweak to front but nothing else. I decided to go with the 2024 because the way I plan on using the truck none of the updates will help me plus I am sure it will cost more.
At this time, RAM has no plans to replace the 6.4 Hemi on the HD trucks.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Any talk of higher mileage with an 8sp trans should be tempered with the fact that a higher powered Cummins will get lower mileage. I've had both the standard output in a 2500 and the HO in a 3500, and the HO uses a lot more DEEF and a lot more fuel, especially highway travels. I could squeeze 24mpg empty out of the 2500 on the interstate, but that HO never got an inch above 17hwy and 15 city. And, the HO didn't put the power to the ground when empty, nowhere near as much as the 2500 did.