Sirius XM "Acquiring Signal"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
About a month ago, my XM started displaying "Acquiring Signal" constantly. Now my radio sounds like a cell phone with bad service....catching every third word or just nothing at all.

I called XM and they tried a refresh signal with no luck and told me to go to a dealer. I'm out of my warranty and I don't really want to pay $80 to walk into the dealership...anyone resolved this issue and can tell me what to fix?
Thanks in advance!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only time that happens in my truck is when I'm either in the garage or under an overpass. I hope you get it figured out--good luck!!!
Jay

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trace and check and insure antenna connection is good, not loose, sounds like bad antenna/reception, IMHO.....Might be loose connection on roof pod, or connecting into the radio, might be fun tracing wires..,.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
About a month ago, my XM started displaying "Acquiring Signal" constantly. Now my radio sounds like a cell phone with bad service....catching every third word or just nothing at all.

I called XM and they tried a refresh signal with no luck and told me to go to a dealer. I'm out of my warranty and I don't really want to pay $80 to walk into the dealership...anyone resolved this issue and can tell me what to fix?
Thanks in advance!

I've started seeing something similar, where I'd come across dead spots along the highway where my wife's SiriusXM set in her 2012 Kia Soul would receive a signal just fine.

I suspect that I'm going to have to pull down the headliner and go look... though to be honest, I don't use it a whole lot, instead preferring to play mp3s or just hit the FM/AM radio when I'm close enough to town to get a signal.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Thanks in advance!

Hi JJP71584,

If you do work with your dealer and any additional assistance is needed for that process, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
JJP71584

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now I tried to use my navigation and it said I was 150 miles from where I actually was. When I pulled up the navigation menu it was connected to 0 satellites, they have to be related right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Yes they are. Same antenna.

OP
OP
JJP71584

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone know how to fix this??? I would really like to avoid going to the dealership to fix this.

OP
OP
JJP71584

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I called the dealer and they want $115 for a diagnostic to confirm the antenna needs replaced and $430 to replace the antenna... Has anyone done this, is it truly a 3 hour job? I'm close to canceling my satellite radio and using my phone for navigation

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The "acquiring signal" message popped up for me over the weekend. After a couple hours of driving, it resolved and has been operating normally since then. Saturday was one of the 1st cold days since I got the truck and I am wondering if this is temp. related, possibly an intermittent sat. antenna connection?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You would hate living in my town
The name of the town is El Cajon
El = The
Cajon = Box
I call it, The Coffin

Getting back to Sirius Signal, when i am out of this box, i get great signal
While i drive around town, the signal drops very often

Here in town T-Mobile has cell towers that in some areas are only 1/2 mile apart

When i drive by those towers, my Sirius Signal drops until i am out of range of those towers.
This began when T-mobile put up the 3G towers, it was not bad then.
Then they erected 4G towers & my Sirius signal got worse
Now the T-mobile has the latest 5G towers, it is even worse

I called Sirius & as is usual, an outsourced office in India answered the call, i waited until they went through their pamphlet of answers & then i asked to be connected to New York, where the real Sirius Offices are.

I asked them what they were doing to fix the issue with the T-mobile interference with Sirius signal, she claimed that there was not an issue that it had to be my vehicle.
I got upset & told her that she needed to talk to the Sirius Engineers & get her facts straight.
Then i told her that i wanted a discount because of the lousy signal
She stuck to her guns & said that there is no issue.

Maybe you can read what she refuses to acknowledge

Sirius XM customers in a few big cities have been complaining about losing their satellite radio signal and the company says it has found the culprit: interfering T-Mobile TMUS 0.72% cellphone towers. ... Now Sirius XM Holdings Inc. SIRI 3.12% has escalated the dispute to federal regulators, asking them to intervene. September 30, 2015

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guy at work was just having this same issue with his SUV. He tried the refresh from XM, but refused to spend a dime at the dealership for no real help. He grabbed an aftermarket "sharkfin" antenna and coax and one weekend, removed the factory antenna, and replaced it with the new one. He thought about using the factory coax, but decided to just leave it in place and install the new coax and run it accordingly (no pinch points, no foot traffic, no weight load). In the end, he's a happy camper cause he doesn't get the loss of signal anymore. Maybe this is an answer? Maybe not.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The problem went away for a while but now it is back. Sirius worked fine when I started out this morning. I stopped for gas and when I restarted, I got the "acquiring signal" message and it was that way the remainder of my commute. Perplexing.....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just FYI: The 5G Cell Signal/Freqs are causing even Aircraft Issues, interfering with some of their systems (altimeters) and FAA put out a warning on it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwightLightning