Can someone help me please? Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello everyone. I have a 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman with Cummins 6.7 and Aisin Transmission and my engine was originally 400hp, but I am installing one that I got and it was from a 2022 RAM 2500 Laramie and it has 370hp, but I plan to leave my Original ECM on it. Will I have a problem with this Or is there something else or an option I can do?I appreciate the help members can give me. Thank you

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That is way not near enough info to work with. Take the time to write out a detailed explanation of exactly what you are doing, not the least of which is why you need an new engine on such a new pickup. Without better info, hard to help.

OP
OP
J

Johnmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That is way not near enough info to work with. Take the time to write out a detailed explanation of exactly what you are doing, not the least of which is why you need an new engine on such a new pickup. Without better info, hard to help.
Thanks for answering Dean2. The problem is that I bought this truck at the auction approximately 2 years ago and I never thought it had so much damage, the engine was very damaged and I even had to buy a new Chassis at the Dealer plus many other things, to the point that I just want fix it to keep it for myself and not sell it, which was what I thought at first, since I have invested too much money in it and right now it would not be a good deal for me. So I was able to get this 2022 engine at a good price since it was from another truck in the auction that was also destroyed but the entire rear end. As I saw when I looked for the new engine, it came with a 68RFE Transmission but mine is an Aisin and it is the one I would like to leave. Sorry if I don't give you the information you need. If you need to know any specific information, just tell me please. Thank you

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hello everyone. I have a 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman with Cummins 6.7 and Aisin Transmission and my engine was originally 400hp, but I am installing one that I got and it was from a 2022 RAM 2500 Laramie and it has 370hp, but I plan to leave my Original ECM on it. Will I have a problem with this Or is there something else or an option I can do?I appreciate the help members can give me. Thank you
I recall from RAM's literature that mechanical differences exist between the standard output and the HO engines. Standard output engines were only available in the 2500. I don't recall seeing a discussion about swamping in an SO to an HO controller. You may want to try looking at RAM Cummins engine-specific forums.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The HO engine in the 3500 is different than the SO version from the 2500. I know compression ratio and piston design is different, so the fuel mapping will be entirely different.

OP
OP
J

Johnmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the answers. I was doing a little more research and I also see that mine comes with a Cp4.2 fuel pump and the 2022 that I am installing comes with a CP3.3 fuel pump, which I think is very good since the CP4.2 pumps according to what I researched are very bad. The biggest concern of mine is if after putting my ECM on the 2022 engine and my Aisin Transmission, can everything be adjusted by reprogramming it or doing some update in the programming? Here I attach exact specifications of each engine. I hope this helps with some more information. Thank you

Attachments

• 2020 Cummins 6.7 Original before  Information 1   .jpg
    2020 Cummins 6.7 Original before Information 1 .jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2020 Cummins 6.7 Original Before Information 2.jpg
    2020 Cummins 6.7 Original Before Information 2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 2022 Cummins 6.7 Assembled now Information 1   .jpg
    2022 Cummins 6.7 Assembled now Information 1 .jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2022 Cummins 6.7 Assembled now Information 2    .jpg
    2022 Cummins 6.7 Assembled now Information 2 .jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you a member of a ram diesel forum? They would have way better insight.this forum is great but pretty much gas based.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The H.O. Cummins that you originally had, and the S.O. Cummins that you want to install have physical differences and engine calibration differences.
There is no such thing as a factory engine calibration for a S.O. Cummins/Aisin trans combo, so you can not use your original ECM. And since the S.O. Cummins ECM has the tuning for the 68RFE trans incorporated into it, you can’t use that ECM either.
You basically either need to find someone that can custom tune your current ECM, or just get an H.O. Cummins replacement engine instead.

OP
OP
J

Johnmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The H.O. Cummins that you originally had, and the S.O. Cummins that you want to install have physical differences and engine calibration differences.
There is no such thing as a factory engine calibration for a S.O. Cummins/Aisin trans combo, so you can not use your original ECM. And since the S.O. Cummins ECM has the tuning for the 68RFE trans incorporated into it, you can’t use that ECM either.
You basically either need to find someone that can custom tune your current ECM, or just get an H.O. Cummins replacement engine instead.
Thank you very much Jimmy for this explanation. I wanted to ask you, I also have the Original 68RFE that comes with the new engine, but the problem is that the 4x4 is electronic through a switch, the 4x4 in my transmission is Manual. Would I have a better option if I put the Original 68RFE of the new Engine? Would I have any option for this, please?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whatever you do the stock ECM/PCM is expecting sensor inputs and will deliver PCM outputs based on the original engine and transmission. The PCM must be compatible with the power train and associated wiring harness.

You could potentially be opening yourself up to a nightmare situation.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 114690 miles.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Sell the Aisin and the old HO engine for its value as a core. Put the entire drive line from the SO truck: engine, transmission and transfer case into the good frame/body. Use the parts from the SO truck that you need to add to the good body to complete the transplant, including the ECM. It is either that or sell the SO drive line, motor, transfer case etc. and buy an HO motor. Any other combination or permutation is way outside your ability to accomplish and having someone else do it will be VERY expensive.

The easiest by far is to get a rebuild on the HO or find a good HO motor and install that.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you very much Jimmy for this explanation. I wanted to ask you, I also have the Original 68RFE that comes with the new engine, but the problem is that the 4x4 is electronic through a switch, the 4x4 in my transmission is Manual. Would I have a better option if I put the Original 68RFE of the new Engine? Would I have any option for this, please?
Like @Dean2 said, you could put the whole S.O. driveline into your truck- engine, trans, transfer case and drive shaft. Since the transfer case is electronic, you would need to add some wiring from the case to DTCM, and the electronic selector switch cluster, and a few settings changes with alfaobd. You would still need to use your original ECM (because it contains your truck’s SKIM info), but it’ll have to be flashed with a S.O. Cummins calibration.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Like @Dean2 said, you could put the whole S.O. driveline into your truck- engine, trans, transfer case and drive shaft. Since the transfer case is electronic, you would need to add some wiring from the case to DTCM, and the electronic selector switch cluster, and a few settings changes with alfaobd. You would still need to use your original ECM (because it contains your truck’s SKIM info), but it’ll have to be flashed with a S.O. Cummins calibration.
Personally, I think it will be a lot easier to either replace the SKIM module, or use the keys, module and start button from the SO or re-set the SKIM info on the SO ECM, than to try and reflash the HO ECM for an SO motor and 6 speed. However, I haven't actually tried that so you may be right.

All of those kind of issues is why I said I would get the HO motor rebuilt or find a good one and put that in. Far less screwing around with the very complicated electronics on newer vehicles. Miss the old days when motor swaps were relatively simple.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, because I have a low threshold for pain and not a risk-taker in my old age, I'd simplify the issue by repairing what you have. Since I'm not aware of anyone that's done exactly what you're contemplating, there's little to no resource to depend on and no limit to the unexpected incompatibility things that could pop up. Also, a conversion may not be any cheaper in the long run.

I'd hate to see your name on suicide watch.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 114690 miles.

OP
OP
J

Johnmy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you very much to everyone who guided me and helped me. I will keep you informed what the end of all this is.