Sold the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I took my truck in for an oil change and the dealer did two recalls when they had it. Told me they would have to order parts for the tailgate one. Believe it or not, I was initially irritated they did the recall stuff without mentioning it to me first, but now I appreciate their efficiency. I dropped my truck off before work and picked it up that same afternoon.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The recalls are annoying but I get it, too much liabilities to be sued so they must issue them. I wish they would incentivize their customers like complimentary washes or oil changes.

I just wait until there are two or three recalls and then get it done.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that a great majority of us here hate our ram dealers. But we're still forced to deal with them because it's not that easy to simply go and switch out a truck to another one, primarily because you'll loose tons of money every time you set foot in ANY dealership.

Life isn't perfect, and ****** dealerships are just a part of many challenges that we overcome in life (same as having to deal with difficult people at work when you can't simply not deal with them). We learn how to deal with these small challenges and learn from them.

There's no guarantee that the Ford dealership won't be as bad as your ram dealer, and you already lost thousands $ on trade in of your new ram and on purchase of another new truck.

No offense but I first thought that you're trolling as your logic for getting rid of the new ram truck and into Ford truck because of such minor nuisance doesn't justify such drastic action.
I love my Ram but not my dealer as well. I did hesitate before I purchased my 2019 because of the bad experience with my dealer servicing my generation 4 Ram 1500.

One thing I don't have much of his time and I don't appreciate dealers wasting it. It is not a minor nuisance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I love my Ram but not my dealer as well. I did hesitate before I purchased my 2019 because of the bad experience with my dealer servicing my generation 4 Ram 1500.

One thing I don't have much of his time and I don't appreciate dealers wasting it. It is not a minor nuisance.

Yeah, we can talk all we want how much we hate our dealers, but we still buy rams because we don't have any other options lol

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, we can talk all we want how much we hate our dealers, but we still buy rams because we don't have any other options lol
It's called giving them a second chance.

I would not hesitate to pull the trigger to trade my truck in on Ford or Toyota if I experienced the same grief I did with my dealer previously.

I travel a lot for work and have a hectic schedule. Can't waste my time screwing around with frivolous service or recall appointments that don't happen or or parts don't get ordered.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I know...I'm :beatdeadhorse5:

By the way, I'm surprised the "PETA Police" allow the use of this emoticon. Wonder if they're protesting about it somewhere, LOL.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals..... If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat. Just sayin.....

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals..... If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat. Just sayin.....
It's even in kids stories:
Mary had a little lamb and a side of mashed potatoes......

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As for dealers when I was researching trucks before buying my Ram I looked at the Ford & Gm forums and saw the same issues with their dealers. Some good some bad.

I wish you luck with your F150. Hope you never have to replace those turbos. My son in laws father is a service manager at a local Ford dealer. He said they replace a lot of those. Tough to swallow when they cost over 1200 each then add labor so both will probably run well over 3000 to have them replaced.:eek:

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Turbochargers are a consumable item. Every turbo will eventually wear out and fail. Turbo's on diesel trucks can last a million miles primarily due to the lower exhaust temperatures of diesels compared to gasoline engines, but they can fail if abused too. Despite water cooling, and whatever a manufacturer may say, abusing a turbo, by not idling the engine before shutting it down, (with a longer idle time if coming in after a hot highway run ie.) can contribute to a turbo failing earlier than it otherwise might.

Cant cant count how many times I've seen owners of turbocharged vehicles, come screaming into a parking place and immediately shut the motor down. Not something I would do, but not my vehicle. Routinely "barking" a turbo, just getting into significant boost and totally letting off of the throttle is also not conducive to turbo longevity. There are ways to minimize that with pressure relief systems (the pop off valve on our modified Subaru in the signature is one), but I'm not sure what Ford has done in that regard on their turbo vehicles. A waste gate, which all turbo'd vehicles have, only activates when pre-programmed boost levels are exceeded and doesn't come into play in a "barking" scenario.

I've read about Eco boost F150's accumulating over 100K miles with no turbo issues, but if I were to own one and intended to keep it for the long term, replacing the turbo's at some point would have to be a consideration. Also making sure my OCI's don't exceed 5K miles is another on the Eco boost. The DI engine tends to fuel saturate the oil. Also, those motors can experience significant timing chain wear if OCI's are extended.

Not bashing the Eco boost at all, just some considerations. Our 5.7 hemi is not without those. All the reports of valve train tick and failing lifters wearing cam lobes are just two that come to mind.

Good luck with your new truck.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I am not sure Dodge ever looks at theses posts or if there care but there's so many bad Dealerships out there and this doesn't promote there future in trucks, Dealer I went to was just terrible in Lakeland Dodge and will never return, but I do love my truck

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Tsielski
Wont argue that most make it to 100k without turbo issues and that's fine if you're a trade in the vehicle every 3-5 years for new but push to 200k+ and you're sure to see failures. I had a turbo Subaru many years ago. Fast car but burned serious oil due to the turbo. That was the old 20,000 rpm turbo. Fords spin up to 200,000 rpm so unless you drive like grandpa, it's bound to give you some grief down the road.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crazy to hear about such bad experiences at the dealerships. Was just at mine this morning for a state inspection and oil change (both free). I also talked with my service manager about a few places on my steering wheel that the leather was cracking. They approved the repair no questions asked. He also told me I have 6 recalls on my truck and that they would need it for a few days but would give me a loaner truck (not car) while the work is being done. I had a 7am appointment and was out the door by 930. Guess that's why I have purchased 3 vehicles from them!

2016 2500 CC BigHorn 6.7 CTD w/ 30k miles

This is basically my experience at my dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As for dealers when I was researching trucks before buying my Ram I looked at the Ford & Gm forums and saw the same issues with their dealers. Some good some bad.

I wish you luck with your F150. Hope you never have to replace those turbos. My son in laws father is a service manager at a local Ford dealer. He said they replace a lot of those. Tough to swallow when they cost over 1200 each then add labor so both will probably run well over 3000 to have them replaced.:eek:

Yep. I didn’t need a turbo replaced on mine as it was leaking (pissed me off it was leaking 3 months after engine was replaced and I was like how is it my 3yr old engine didn’t leak ever but the new one did after 3 months if you used new coolant lines to the turbos. My fight was cuz coolant lines where not warranty covered....
$900 later...
A week later I was driving my ram rebel.

Ecoboost is a great motor when it’s going right. I would have to imagine they got my of the “kinks” worked out lately as they have then in all their vehicles. My 2012 I feel like they still where working out some bugs.

I would really recommend a catch can on the Ecoboost. It catches a lot more than these Hemis. (At least mine did).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's not the trucks fault, it's the dealers. If you want a Ford, fine. For me, a straight cab 2WD 5.7 hemi guy, the choice was very clear. Ford HAS no truck to compete (neither does GM)
Just the wife and I so this is all the truck we need.

If I want to haul people, we have a Lincoln MKT Livery edition. Ram is my choice in a pickup.

Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I finally got tired of the dealer's BS. Sold the truck for a Ford Eco boost. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I loved the Ram, never a problem, recalls with a month long wait to service made me think what would happen if I had a mechanical problem.

Man, that's weird. In the case of my dealership (St. Helens, Oregon), I actually had to put them off by a couple of days (I called them Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, over a Check Engine light. They offered to bring me in Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. I asked if they could put it off until today - they're looking at it now, as I type this.) Before this, I think I waited a week or two to get some previous recall-only work done, and when the tailgate thing first came out, they simply told me to "come in anytime" for that (but I wanted to wait until I was back from Chicago, since I was out of town on business.)

Long story short, these guys are mega-responsive. I'll find out how well they can t-shoot/fix the engine light today (Check Engine light stays on, and I lost Eco/MDS ability from the engine. Otherwise it runs great.)

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally got tired of the dealer's BS. Sold the truck for a Ford Eco boost. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I loved the Ram, never a problem, recalls with a month long wait to service made me think what would happen if I had a mechanical problem.
Yep, a mistake. Even around here any truck place - Ford, Chev, Dodge, etc is going to have a 3 - 4 week wait period. Ya know if it is over 2 weeks you can apply for a non-dealer re-imburseable repair to be done. Did in once about two years ago, worked just fine. Don' t know about today and how it works, or not.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'll find out how well they can t-shoot/fix the engine light today (Check Engine light stays on, and I lost Eco/MDS ability from the engine. Otherwise it runs great.)

When they find the problem, post it. There are lots of guys on this forum that would love to have the CEL that kills MDS....:D

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Dealer rammed (pun intended) my truck into the ceiling, bent the roof, broke my 3rd brake light and then tried to get out of fixing it how I wanted it fixed...guess I should've traded it in for a Ford, lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meteleskum