Some questions on things I need

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatmechanicclayt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
Alright, call me dumb but I love a nice project. I bought a 2008 1500, V6 with the 6 speed manual (Getrag 238) transmission, single cab short bed.

I’m searching for a new transmission (current has bad play in input shaft and bearing noise in 3rd and Reverse) OR a rebuild kit, only to discover parts are not made for these anymore. Should I get a cheap junkyard getrag, or do the 5 speed NV swap? If I do the swap, is there anywhere I can find the brackets that would be need for the different mounting points? And would I need a new driveshaft to fit the NV?

Also, anywhere I could get cheap interior parts? Mainly looking for driver door card and seats. Thanks!

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Find yourself a big U-Pick junkyard and have a day or two out there having fun. I would steer clear of another used trans if you can't get parts for the one you have now. Or at least get one that you can still get parts for. Good luck

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try a reputable local transmission shop if you’re willing to pay for a rebuild. Sometimes these guys have connections for finding parts. Had my G238 rebuilt last year at 420k miles when Chrysler couldn’t supply a new or reman transmission. These guys tend to try harder when you say “can you rebuild my trans” as opposed to “can you source me parts”.