Speaker Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
I am looking to upgrade my speakings in '18 1500 Laramie with the Alpine System. I have been reading but I am finding some conflicting information.

I plan to just upgrade the door speakers for now. I read somewhere that the rears should be different from the fronts?

I enjoy Polks, priced right, and they're good for what they are. I was planning on replacing all four doors with these.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB652/Polk-Audio-DB-652.html

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
They are probably 2 ohm speakers, Id pull one and check before ordering anything.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The door speakers should all be 6x9s and you should keep them all the same brand name. I’m doing my 13 1500 Crew Cab with the Alpine system with all Alpine S speakers. I’m doing 2 sets of component speakers and installing a Maestro DSP and a 6 channel JL Audio amp. I’ve already replaced the rear sub and and added a JL Mono D amp back there.

OP
OP
K

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
The door speakers should all be 6x9s and you should keep them all the same brand name. I’m doing my 13 1500 Crew Cab with the Alpine system with all Alpine S speakers. I’m doing 2 sets of component speakers and installing a Maestro DSP and a 6 channel JL Audio amp. I’ve already replaced the rear sub and and added a JL Mono D amp back there.

I'm on Crutchfield, it looks like some 6x9's don't fit the front. I'm assuming depth issues. Whats the difference between coaxial and component? Why'd you choose component over coaxial?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was told the Alpine S would fit the front doors. Not sure about Polk as I haven’t read up on them. You might want to ask the expert from Crutchfield about depth issues with those speakers. I have not heard of anyone using them in the Ram. The only reason I was going to go component was because they come with tweeters for the front dash and the headliner surround speakers and they weren’t expensive.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
So if the speakers are 2 ohms, then I should replace them with 2 ohms?
Yes sir, so the amp doesn't go into protect, or lose power. If you put 4 ohm speakers in, they'd see about half the amps power.

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on Crutchfield, it looks like some 6x9's don't fit the front. I'm assuming depth issues. Whats the difference between coaxial and component? Why'd you choose component over coaxial?
Coaxil speakers is the actual speaker its self with tweeter mounted on it. They are usually cheaper than a component set. in addition are easier to install. A component set is a speaker, tweeter, and comes with a passive crossover. They are more difficult to install and the price point is much higher. Most people who go with components want a better sound from the factory and also might compete in competition. They will also use a combination of components and coaxial in there install. I have a component set which I will be using in my truck. I will be placing the speaker in the door. The tweeter will go into the dash. The passive cross over will be placed in a separate location. The coaxials I have will be installed in the rear doors.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to upgrade my speakings in '18 1500 Laramie with the Alpine System. I have been reading but I am finding some conflicting information.

I plan to just upgrade the door speakers for now. I read somewhere that the rears should be different from the fronts?

I enjoy Polks, priced right, and they're good for what they are. I was planning on replacing all four doors with these.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB652/Polk-Audio-DB-652.html
Those are the speakers I put in mine, sounds awesome, besides a hum I'm trying to track down, but I don't think it's the speakers I think it's my amp. 2675f67a66d76dd2b798f00795a4ea6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
Coaxil speakers is the actual speaker its self with tweeter mounted on it. They are usually cheaper than a component set. in addition are easier to install. A component set is a speaker, tweeter, and comes with a passive crossover. They are more difficult to install and the price point is much higher. Most people who go with components want a better sound from the factory and also might compete in competition. They will also use a combination of components and coaxial in there install. I have a component set which I will be using in my truck. I will be placing the speaker in the door. The tweeter will go into the dash. The passive cross over will be placed in a separate location. The coaxials I have will be installed in the rear doors.

Thanks for the info!!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
and some components can be made into coax, usually a better tweeter, better sound.

OP
OP
K

Kevin Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018/1987
Engine
2500/360
Does anyone know the wattage to the speakers? I am still confused on what speakers I want. I've found a few on Crutchfield and most are saying I need to upgrade the amp to get more power to the speakers. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the current Alpine setup?

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know the wattage to the speakers? I am still confused on what speakers I want. I've found a few on Crutchfield and most are saying I need to upgrade the amp to get more power to the speakers. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the current Alpine setup?
I tried to figure that out too but never could, so I opted to just amplify them and get the speakers I wanted.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
These speaker upgrade threads got me going as well. I put a set of Kicker 2 ways in the dash (bass blocker and 4 ohm resistor), Pioneer 3 ways in the front doors and Pioneer 4 ways in the rear doors. Mostly low costs stuff, spent about $150 total. I am not an audiophile and usually listen at modest volumes so this was a big improvement over the stock stuff. Should have done it sooner.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
These speaker upgrade threads got me going as well. I put a set of Kicker 2 ways in the dash (bass blocker and 4 ohm resistor), Pioneer 3 ways in the front doors and Pioneer 4 ways in the rear doors. Mostly low costs stuff, spent about $150 total. I am not an audiophile and usually listen at modest volumes so this was a big improvement over the stock stuff. Should have done it sooner.

Do you have the info on the bass blocker and resistors you used?

-K

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
you have the OEM like 12 channel Alpine amp already, its not as simple as they are making it out to be, like a base 6 speaker system

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have these in the front

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XP184C/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-XP184C.html?tp=105

and these in the back

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCX174/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-X174.html?tp=105

with this amp and then I will put a sub in

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XR9015/Kenwood-Excelon-XR901-5.html?tp=35808

The guy who did it says, I don't have to be in any rush to put a sub in as he was really surprised buy how powerful my head unit actually pushes sound so i'm not in any rush to do that. My stereo is LOUD right now as it is..

Last edited:

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have these in the front

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XP184C/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-XP184C.html?tp=105

and these in the back

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCX174/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-X174.html?tp=105

with this amp when I put my sub in

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XR9015/Kenwood-Excelon-XR901-5.html?tp=35808

The guy who did it says, I don't have to be in any rush to put a sub in as he was really surprised buy how powerful my head unit actually pushes sound so i'm not in any rush to do that. My stereo is LOUD right now as it is..
That's a nice set up you have there. You must have a Alpine, Kenwood , or Pioneer radio. Its probably putting out 50 watts per channel. When you put your sub and amp in there it will even louder but will should sound good as well.