Still need hitch mounted load levelers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglas Walouke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Towing my 21’ Keystone camper with recently purchased 2014 1500 Laramie Longhorn w air suspension and auto load leveling. On my old Yukon, I had to use load leveling bars to get the sag out of the hitch area. I’m assuming with the auto load leveling and air suspension, the load leveling bars are unnecessary. Just wanted to confirm with my peeps!

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
A good weight distribution Hitch also provides some level of sway control. At least the bar type you mentioned do. I wouldn't tow anything like a TT without it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These things are called weight distributing hitches, not load leveling hitches. Their main function is to keep enough load on the steer axle. You'd need to check how much the front axle weight changes with the trailer hooked up. When I had a small Wolfpup trailer I didn't use a WDH as the front only lost ~ 100 lbs. With the current trailer the weight changes by 300 lbs so WDH it is.

OP
OP
D

Douglas Walouke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate the feedback. I do use a sway bar so I’ve got that covered. Getting some of the weight up front in the truck is really the goal. Better question to ask then, “does the air suspension and auto load leveling accomplish the goal of improved truck control when towing?”

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Appreciate the feedback. I do use a sway bar so I’ve got that covered. Getting some of the weight up front in the truck is really the goal. Better question to ask then, “does the air suspension and auto load leveling accomplish the goal of improved truck control when towing?”
What I am saying is that the weight on the bars helps reduce sway, in addition to any other sway control. This is one of the reasons the WDH with torsion bars are better than the ones with chains.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No. Airbags/air suspension/auto leveling is not a substitute for a weight distribution hitch when towing a conventional ("bumper pull") trailer. When the load of the trailer is placed behind the rear axle it lifts up on the front end of the truck. This reduces steering and front braking ability. Raising the rear with air suspension only masks the problem (and in-fact makes it slightly worse).

Adjustable suspensions are however, great for loads placed directly over the rear axle such as a 5th wheel trailer or a load of gravel.

It's been posted many times on this forum, but here is the proof:

Last edited: