Votes: 404 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 162 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,005 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 670 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Donato

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What little I know about oil, which isn't much, are the test results in that video showing HPL no VII 5w30 to be the best overall of those oils tested?
Red Line uses PIB polymers and thick base oil whenever they can. And where they can't Red Line uses thin PAO and Olefin Copolymers. That's why Red Line oils that start with 0W aren't that great, especially their 0W-40. Like everyone else, Red Line wants to maximize profits, so they draw the line when it comes to spending on materials. For example, Lubrizol Star Polymers are the best, but they are the most expensive. Even HPL uses them sparingly. For example, HPL uses Lubrizol Star Polymers in their HPL Super Car 0W-40, while the other oils in that lineup get Infineum Star Polymers.

There are two types of HPL NO VII 5W-30 oils: PCMO and Euro. The euro is a bit thicker and has that beefed up Euro add pack.

The NO VII oils don't uses Polymers as viscosity improvers. Instead, they use mPAO, also known as Metallocene PAO. This material is expensive, however, it doesn't shear at all. HPL uses mPAO in their gear oil as well. It is clean, and never shears. The downside is that it limits the cold flow of the oil. That's why they only make 5W and 10W NO VII motor oils. Yes, they have a NO VII Euro 10W-40. Mostly folks that have 3.0 EcoDiesel engines buy that one because it doesn't shear, and they can do extended OCIs with it, but most importantly, it keeps their bearings safe.

HPL is an industrial and high performance blender (racing applications). They don't target the consumer. The consumer products were derived from their commercial fleet products, and HPL made them to advertise their brand. The consumer products are not a profit maker for them.

I know the owner of the company personally, and I know that their consumer products are a break-even type of business for them. The materials they use are very expensive, and they source PAO, mPAO, Group III and Group III+, and soon GTL, Esters, and additives from the likes of Lubrizol, Infineum, Chevron, ExxonMobil, and so on. They only work with the best, and also with some European suppliers.

HPL blends some very high end stuff. Some of their government customers with fleets run these oils for around 40K miles between changes, with the oil filter being swapped around every 5K miles. It's good stuff.

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Lake speeds best video so far! Great video using High Performance Lubricants lab

Oops already posted

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Lake speeds best video so far! Great video using High Performance Lubricants lab

Oops already posted
love it thanks for posting.

People often confuse result with best possible choice or outcome. Hey look my OEM says use 5w20 and I been using 5w20 for 10 years and never had any issues, this must be proof 5w20 is the best oil for my 400hp truck right? The uoa's just show tendencies and they tend to prove the fact lower visc leads to more wear in small numbers, but video's like this one tell a more complete story.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
KRL, I'm blown away with that. For those of us who thought hths was the best measurement of viscosity, we were wrong! That uses heat to stress and stretch the polymers whereas krl actually breaks the polymers. At some point it would be cool have a chart with hths numbers and krl numbers on a lot of oils.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hemimann, this guy just game you license to run 5w30 in place of 0w40, lol. 18:30 mark.

There are more then one different star polymers, great.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Watched some of the video...way above my head!!! Haha. I did order some HPL oil over the 4th with their 25% off...I got 6 quarts of 0w-40 premium + for my 6.4 hemi 2500...I already have 8 on the shelf. I also got 12.quarts of 5w-20 and 6 quarts of 5w-30 for my wife's 5.7 hemi 1500. I put 4 of the 5w-20 and 3 of the 5w-30 redline in hers last 2 changes and it is so smooth. I'm gonna try the same with HPL on hers at the next change and see how it feels and sounds!!

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'm scared of making an move from Red Line 5w/30 after having good reports from Blackstone Labs.

My oil and filter combo that I'm currently using on my HEMI is better than the previous oil combos(Red Line 5w/30 and Royal Purple 20-820).

My HEMI did very good on that combo, but still had an occasional dry start up clatter/chatter.

Using the Purolator Boss PBL 24651/Red Line 5w/30 combo has eliminated that, go figure.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
New video from Motor Oil Geek.
Mostly an ad for HPL but good science backing.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is now API SP somehow, shears down a fair amount.

More on why 5W-30 beats 0W-40 easily.

Lubrizol star polymer VII additive beats Infineum's shesrdown resistance by a lot.

And other goodies. I haven't absorbed it all yet.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm scared of making an move from Red Line 5w/30 after having good reports from Blackstone Labs.

My oil and filter combo that I'm currently using on my HEMI is better than the previous oil combos(Red Line 5w/30 and Royal Purple 20-820).

My HEMI did very good on that combo, but still had an occasional dry start up clatter/chatter.

Using the Purolator Boss PBL 24651/Red Line 5w/30 combo has eliminated that, go figure.
Cause Purolator Boss is a rock catcher per independent lab test results. Down there with Wix.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A really great quote from David Ward (CEO of HPL):

Personally I think Mobil FS 0W40 is an excellent oil. If I did not have my own oil I would probably run that oil in almost everything I own gas or diesel. Mobil also makes excellent raw materials and we absolutely use some of them in our oils.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A really great quote from David Ward (CEO of HPL):

So why does their test lab flame it for API SO and VII shewrdown in the video I posted?

Notably, HPL no vii 5W-30 rated no. 1.
What a surprise.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't recall if anybody ran Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or the results. This is the Euro formula. Don't recall how much extra moly it has either.
Too many blows to the head in my youth.

@Travis8352 help!
I did.. I ran it for a while, with some good results. After the last engine rebuild and the change of all the lifters, I ran this (https://www.mobiluae.com/products/mobil-1-fs-0w-40/), for 5000km intervals. I made up my mind that I would run engine oil for only 5000kms from here on, except when I running Redline 5w30. That is the only oil to be run in a Hemi for 8000km change intervals.

Here is a video of my engine on hot idle running Mobil 1 FS 0w40.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hemimann, this guy just game you license to run 5w30 in place of 0w40, lol. 18:30 mark.

There are more then one different star polymers, great.

I feel....seen.

I can now go on living.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I did.. I ran it for a while, with some good results. After the last engine rebuild and the change of all the lifters, I ran this (https://www.mobiluae.com/products/mobil-1-fs-0w-40/), for 5000km intervals. I made up my mind that I would run engine oil for only 5000kms from here on, except when I running Redline 5w30. That is the only oil to be run in a Hemi for 8000km change intervals.

Here is a video of my engine on hot idle running Mobil 1 FS 0w40.

Yeh, that's smooth and quiet.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran Edge for years in my ram. It was an excellent oil. I always had great oil pressure and it was super quiet even when not using biotech.
Black bottle or Gold color bottle?
Sadly the Castrol that we have here, isn't for American cars. Could be used I suppose, if it is the right spec. I once visited a lube shop where they only deal in Castrol. I asked the guy to show me the oil he would use in my truck. He pointed to a can of 5w20 edge, gold bottle. I told him never to use that oil in any customer's Hemi again.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Red Line 5W-30 in gallon jug for $14.95 / qt free shipping from these Euro Car guys - I've seen this before with some members buying here...

DISREGARD this post - though the ad was legit and the site was secure, further checking revealed a scam site much like EliteFab, if everybody else is out, the product is out. This brings in the predatory vultures.
I don't know about EliteFab being a scam. I ordered my oil from them and it was delivered with 4 days - to an address in Florida, where I had it shipped to me here in Dubai. Actually still cost a lot for engine oil. The cost came to just about the same as if I would have bought it from the Redline dealer here. But since the dealer didn't have stock at the time, it was my only option.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New video from Motor Oil Geek.
Mostly an ad for HPL but good science backing.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is now API SP somehow, shears down a fair amount.

More on why 5W-30 beats 0W-40 easily.

Lubrizol star polymer VII additive beats Infineum's shesrdown resistance by a lot.

And other goodies. I haven't absorbed it all yet.

My 5.7 Hemi ran pretty well on Mobil 1 FS 0W40. However I kept the OCIs short.. like 5000kms (approx 3000 miles). I was just about to post the same video, when I saw it posted already. I actually saw a video, where one Nissan engineer said that you should change the oil every 3000 miles if you want to keep the vehicle for over 300,000 miles.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So why does their test lab flame it for API SO and VII shewrdown in the video I posted?

Notably, HPL no vii 5W-30 rated no. 1.
What a surprise.

It does shear down a little but its still a thick oil, there is more to an oil than how well it stays in grade otherwise everyone would be recommending HPL no vii over super car but it's the other way around (super car being seen as the top of the food HPL food chain).

It's not all that important to me anyway as I'd rather run HPL over Mobil one. But it's rare you see that kind of honesty from a company.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I don't know about EliteFab being a scam. I ordered my oil from them and it was delivered with 4 days - to an address in Florida, where I had it shipped to me here in Dubai. Actually still cost a lot for engine oil. The cost came to just about the same as if I would have bought it from the Redline dealer here. But since the dealer didn't have stock at the time, it was my only option.

That's great, a number of us never received delivery, nor notices, nor messages returned.

For us, they're a scam.