Votes: 406 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,009 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 674 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shot out to 3-in-One oil which every kid first introduction to oil perhaps even more then WD-40? 3 bucks amazon, oh man that smell brought me right back to the 70's with bicycles and push lawnmowers. Smells the exact same as it did 50-60 years ago. Having some fun ending some squeeks.

View attachment 548561
I got the ole 3-in-one for Lubing my older Hunter Fan.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look at those specs for the 0w30 EOT amsoil... 0W-30 EOT- BMW LL 01FE, 3 MB specs, Porsche 30 and the audi one. I have been saying that for a while so many of those high reeving well built German cars using 0w30 and those specs prove it is no slouch for an oil. Redline 0w30 at 10.8, my guess between these two I'm thinking amsoil has the vote. Mind you this isn't SS which is the opposite, just as weak as redline in 0w30. And hats off to amsoil, redline doesn't make euro 0w30.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Hemi395 I am pretty impressed with amsoil Euro formulas on paper, might need biotech dunno, but how about a 0w30 that visc is 12.3! Two full points over 5w30 or 0w30 SS.
Agreed wow!

VI of 185 - Highest of their Euro oils
HTHS 3.5
NOACK 8.6%
Pour point -56.2F

Have we seen a UOA on this oil? Do we have any idea on moly numbers? Does it matter that its MS?

Definitely interested in this.

For comparison, look at the specs for the SS 0w40 that I've been running...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish with all the smoke blowing down here.
This is just bizarre. Due to snow less winter some of the fires never fully extinguished over winter. Laid there and continued to smolder.
We didn't snowmobile at all last year. No snow anywhere in the upper midwest.

Wow so you're getting the brunt of the smoke from those fires?

Some of that was getting to northern NH when we were there last week. You couldn't smell it at all but the sky had a thick brown tint to it, almost like a cloudy day but not fully overcast. The sky almost looked like pics of Mars sky...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Agreed wow!

VI of 185 - Highest of their Euro oils
HTHS 3.5
NOACK 8.6%
Pour point -56.2F

Have we seen a UOA on this oil? Do we have any idea on moly numbers? Does it matter that its MS?

Definitely interested in this.

For comparison, look at the specs for the SS 0w40 that I've been running...
0w30 is like best effort oil for a lot of companies, looks like amsoil is no different. HPL sc0w30 is 100 for 6 bucks worth every penny, but I bet you can get amsoil Euro 0w30 for a better price. Amsoils mistake, not labeling it SC oil because if you ask me it appears to be a super car oil.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wow so you're getting the brunt of the smoke from those fires?

Some of that was getting to northern NH when we were there last week. You couldn't smell it at all but the sky had a thick brown tint to it, almost like a cloudy day but not fully overcast. The sky almost looked like pics of Mars sky...
Yep - when wind blows southeast, right at us.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Look at those specs for the 0w30 EOT amsoil... 0W-30 EOT- BMW LL 01FE, 3 MB specs, Porsche 30 and the audi one. I have been saying that for a while so many of those high reeving well built German cars using 0w30 and those specs prove it is no slouch for an oil. Redline 0w30 at 10.8, my guess between these two I'm thinking amsoil has the vote. Mind you this isn't SS which is the opposite, just as weak as redline in 0w30. And hats off to amsoil, redline doesn't make euro 0w30.
The Amsoil Euro oils caught my eye several months ago when I was looking for an alternative oil weight for my Lexus that specs a 0W-20 oil. It uses the T24A-FTS engine that is found in a few Toyota/Lexus vehicles. It is a dual injection turbocharged engine with a timing chain which I feel would benefit from an oil with a higher HTHS rating than what is found in 0W-20 oils, especially when driven hard like I do.

From my research I feel that the Euro oils across the board are very stout and not only formulated for good engine protection, but extended drain intervals as well. Personally I have no desire to push OCI's past about 5,000 miles in any of my vehicles with any oil but I do like the protection aspect, of course. I am no expert by any means and this is JMHO.

I have been using SS 0W-40 in my Ram for many years (about 30,000 miles) after initially using PUP 0W-40. Currently at about 61,000 miles. While I do not have a tick at idle (hot or cold), I have recently noticed what I think is lifter clatter upon startup, especially after going several days or longer without being driven. The clatter only lasts for about 2 seconds and is then gone. It is possible that this is nothing new, but I did not drive the truck much over the last year so whenever I did start it, it was after a period of sitting unused, so the clatter was more pronounced. Just sitting overnight this clatter is barely noticeable, if at all. I have gotten into the habit of reeving the rpm's up to around 1,200-1,500 for a second or two just prior to shutting the engine off and this seems to help immensely.

But this clatter got me re-evaluating my oil choice for the Ram at the same time I was searching for a good oil choice for my Lexus. I have always been a bit leery of using a 0W-40 oil as it just seems to me that this much viscosity swing is asking a lot of an oil and as the vii's shear, how long does the oil truly stay at a 40 grade. Since my Ram was approaching 1 year on its oil, I just changed it at only 3,500 miles and sent off a sample to Blackstone for analysis. I will post the results in the Blackstone thread once I get them.

Based on this uoa, it is possible that I will give another oil a try. While I am not married to Amsoil, I do like their products and have used them off and on for decades. I use their gear oil in all of my vehicles but the Ram is the only vehicle that I use their engine oil in. For me it is readily available and with the PC discount, I feel that the price is reasonable for a quality product. If I do give another oil a shot, it will probably one of Amsoil's Euro oils, either the 0W-40 (EFO), or the 5W-40 (AFL). Mobil 0W-40 and Valvoline Euro 0W-40 may also be worth a try.

These are my choices IF I stay with a XW-40 oil; otherwise a robust XW-30 is certainly worth considering and I agree that on paper the Amsoil 0W-30 (EOT) looks real good. While irrelevant for a Hemi, with the SP grade and MB 229.52 approval for LSPI mitigation it would probably be a good fit for the Lexus and I am curious how the 6.4 would do on it. I may give it a shot but it won't be any time soon since the 6.4 has fresh oil. Definitely something to think about though.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Approaching 82K miles on my 2015 6.4. Have run PUP 0W40 almost exclusively since day 1 and started adding LubeGard the past few oil changes. 5K OCI's. Experiencing my 1st tick at start up some days. Looking at HPL oil in the future. Best for the Hemi tick Premium Plus or Supercar??? Vehicle mainly used for towing. TIA
If you are having a tick after using PUP 0w40, then I'm guessing PUP 0w40 isn't the best oil for the application or maybe need to reduce the OCI to 3 -4k.
I would certainly look at Redline 5w30. HPL is also good. Check which gives you a better deal.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 549474
That’s the 5th Tundra I’ve seen on a flatbed this week. To all those Toyota fanboys that said, “Should’ve bought a Toyota”, I’m so glad I didn’t.
Yeah they're having all kinds of problems with their small displacement turbo V6 that replaced the bulletproof IForce 5.7 V8. All in the name of better fuel economy.

I mean I guess if you're not driving it you're getting amazing gas mileage so that's a plus.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah they're having all kinds of problems with their small displacement turbo V6 that replaced the bulletproof IForce 5.7 V8. All in the name of better fuel economy.

I mean I guess if you're not driving it you're getting amazing gas mileage so that's a plus.
The V8 is a good engine, but not infallible. Some have had issues where they just fail and the only way to resolve the issue is a complete engine replacement.
Most of the Tundras here are grey imports with the V8. The local Toyota dealer does not import, service or sell them. So anyone who has a Tundra here in Dubai, is pretty much on their own. Fortunately, its the same 5.7 V8 from the Land Cruiser and plenty of used examples of those around.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Since the turn of the century what was the one item Chevy's were known to have quality in? Thier transmissions yeah? From personal experience every chevy transmission I had was great avalanche and Silverado 1500. And my Ford and Ram, not so much. Well that was then, but now Chevy is facing a crushing blow to their credibility, class action 2015-2019 chevy's with the 8 speed. And it is expanding past 2022 vehicles even the 10 speed, basically the one thing chevy had going for itself is over.

There are multiple class action lawsuits against General Motors (GM) over transmission defects in their vehicles:

• 2015–2019 GM vehicles with 8-speed transmissions
    A class action lawsuit was certified in March 2023 against GM for selling vehicles with defective 8-speed automatic transmissions between 2015 and 2019. The lawsuit alleges that GM sold over 800,000 vehicles with faulty transmissions without disclosing the issue to customers before purchase. The vehicles included the Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Colorado, Chevrolet Corvette, Chevrolet Camaro, Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac CTS, Cadillac CT6, GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, and GMC Canyon.

• 2019–2022 GM vehicles with 8L transmissions
    A second class action lawsuit was filed in April 2024 against GM for vehicles with 8L transmissions made after March 1, 2019. The lawsuit alleges that GM failed to disclose defects in the transmissions, which pose safety risks to drivers. The lawsuit covers vehicles across 26 states.

• GM 10-speed transmission
    A common issue with GM's 10-speed transmission is the shift selector problem, which occurs when the vehicle unexpectedly shifts into a higher or lower gear

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Chasing fuel economy goals is gonna sink these companies? I mean old transmissions were damn near bullet proof. I am not looking forward to replacing the rav 4, as the new rav 4's have that cvt garbage, don't know how that will work out, I mean why when the old 2009 rav 4 transmission is perfect, never an issue in 15 years.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since the turn of the century what was the one item Chevy's were known to have quality in? Thier transmissions yeah? From personal experience every chevy transmission I had was great avalanche and Silverado 1500. And my Ford and Ram, not so much. Well that was then, but now Chevy is facing a crushing blow to their credibility, class action 2015-2019 chevy's with the 8 speed. And it is expanding past 2022 vehicles even the 10 speed, basically the one thing chevy had going for itself is over.

There are multiple class action lawsuits against General Motors (GM) over transmission defects in their vehicles:

• 2015–2019 GM vehicles with 8-speed transmissions
    A class action lawsuit was certified in March 2023 against GM for selling vehicles with defective 8-speed automatic transmissions between 2015 and 2019. The lawsuit alleges that GM sold over 800,000 vehicles with faulty transmissions without disclosing the issue to customers before purchase. The vehicles included the Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Colorado, Chevrolet Corvette, Chevrolet Camaro, Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac CTS, Cadillac CT6, GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, and GMC Canyon.
  • 2019–2022 GM vehicles with 8L transmissions
    A second class action lawsuit was filed in April 2024 against GM for vehicles with 8L transmissions made after March 1, 2019. The lawsuit alleges that GM failed to disclose defects in the transmissions, which pose safety risks to drivers. The lawsuit covers vehicles across 26 states.
  • GM 10-speed transmission
    A common issue with GM's 10-speed transmission is the shift selector problem, which occurs when the vehicle unexpectedly shifts into a higher or lower gear
I feel several things led to this, and it's all to increase CAFE.

1 Most important IMO, is the stupid thin fluid manu's are requiring for their transmissions.

2 Adding gears to transmissions adds complexity. Complexity lowers reliability. Period.

3 In an attempt to decrease weight, more plastic parts are used and thinner metal materials are used.

NONE of these things increase reliability.

Yes the older 4L60/80s had their flaws but I don't ever recall a class action suit against GM over those transmissions failing.