Votes: 405 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,007 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 673 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. At about 1500kM the original fill oil was really stinky, horrid look and smell to it and it was making Hemi tick noises. I didn't want to go the a full synthetic at that low kM so I put that Penrite oil in. It was during Covid and was the only MS-6395 compliant oil I could buy locally. I also used a local (Ryco) synthetic media oil filter as I could not buy RP or Fram locally. To be honest I did not notice any difference in noises between the Penrite semi-syn and Redline 5W-30. It could possibly be a decent long term oil as I change oil and filter every 7,000kM, I just didn't want to try any new experiments as Redline 5W-30 worked and has worked for many others.
Based on what the dealer said and the oil change intervals, I used to change the oil every 10,000kms. I did this until I had my first Hemi tick experience. Then when I switched to Redline, I did the same. After that I was watching a youtube video where many mechanics were suggesting not to go more than 5k miles (approx 8000kms). So I decided to keep it for that OCI.
However after a couple more experiences with the tick, I decided that its best to change the oil every 3 - 4k miles or 5000kms in my region. Only if I'm using Redline 5w30 will I extend it to 8000kms. Otherwise, its 5000 or less and using a good but cheap oil like Valvoline All Climate or Havoline Pro-DS.
If the budget would allow, I would use Mobil 1 FS 0W40 or Liquimoly Molygen 5w30 and change it every 5000kms.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used Redline 5W-30 ever since I changed out that early Penrite fill. Gets changed every 6000-8000kM with new filter. That is not a cheap exercise in Australia but still cheap compared to a cam and lifter change or an engine change!

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used Redline 5W-30 ever since I changed out that early Penrite fill. Gets changed every 6000-8000kM with new filter. That is not a cheap exercise in Australia but still cheap compared to a cam and lifter change or an engine change!
Its about the same for me here in Dubai. Sometimes Redline isn't even in stock, so now my task is finding a good cost effective replacement and changing the oil every 5000kms.
So far, the best was Mobil 1 FS 0W40. It is readily available everywhere. However it costs about the same as Redline 5w30. But it is the one I would easily recommend to everyone.
Right now I'm running Valvoline All Climate 5w30 and its doing pretty good. The sound lf the engine is about the same as when it had Redline in it. The previous oil was Redline so maybe there was some residual traces of Redline in the sump. I'm do another oil change soon and then try it out.
Valvoline costs 78 USD for 16 litres. So its pretty cheap.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes if not subject to cold starts like us idiots in the far north.
Some guys just use oil pan heaters and summer oil.
Whatever works for you.
The temperature right now is 40.C with high humidity which makes it feel like 49.C
Its Summer time here in Dubai. In Winter, I would say the temps average close to what you guys get in places like Florida or Southern California in the Winter time.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The temperature right now is 40.C with high humidity which makes it feel like 49.C
Its Summer time here in Dubai. In Winter, I would say the temps average close to what you guys get in places like Florida or Southern California in the Winter time.
15W-40 5W-40 10W-40

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You guys here about this? ALL HD rams are to get a brand new ZF Powerline® 8-speed automatic transmission. From Mopar Insiders...

In a pivotal move for the Ram Truck brand, the upcoming 2025 Ram Heavy Duty and Chassis Cab lineup is poised to adopt the cutting-edge ZF Powerline® 8-speed automatic transmission across all models.

What is the zf8 PowerLine transmission?

ZF's 8-speed automatic transmission excels in heavy-duty pickups and medium-duty trucks up to 26t. Its robust, compact design requires no external hardware, ensuring seamless integration. Featuring an innovative torque converter and smart powershifting, it is designed to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You guys here about this? ALL HD rams are to get a brand new ZF Powerline® 8-speed automatic transmission. From Mopar Insiders...

In a pivotal move for the Ram Truck brand, the upcoming 2025 Ram Heavy Duty and Chassis Cab lineup is poised to adopt the cutting-edge ZF Powerline® 8-speed automatic transmission across all models.

ZF's 8-speed automatic transmission excels in heavy-duty pickups and medium-duty trucks up to 26t. Its robust, compact design requires no external hardware, ensuring seamless integration. Featuring an innovative torque converter and smart powershifting, it is designed to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.
And there's the beginning of the end for us RFE guys. The only reason Mopar RFE parts were still available was because they still used the 68 in the Cummins trucks.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
15W-40 5W-40 10W-40
Currently I have Valvoline All Climate 5w30 in it. I might give 5w40 a shot. However I do have a question. If I use 5w40 in Summer, would there be a problem in using 5w30 during the cooler months?
Is there an issue using a thicker oil and then going to a thinner oil afterwards?

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@HK1837 Maybe you could use a full synthetic from Penrite and switch to a 5000kms change intervals as a cheaper alternative to Redline.
Penrite looks like good stuff.

As much as I am a fan of Redline, I do have to concede that my engine still sounds just as good with Valvoline All Climate 5w30 and so far don't see anything to complain about. The bonus is that it is cheap. 16 litres for 78 USD sounds like a good deal to me.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

This has been rumored for several years, but looks like it may finally happen, and not a moment too soon.

The Powerline is being used by Paccar in Peterbilt and Kenworth medium duty trucks, marketed as a Paccar TX8.

The RFE should have been put out to pasture long ago, and while the Aisin is quite durable, it is pretty dang crude in operation compared to the competition, and is quite slow shifting. If the Powerline shifts as quick as the light duty ZFs, and offers skip-shifting, it should yield a noticeable improvement in acceleration and MPG, even if they don't turn up the wick on the Cummins.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Currently I have Valvoline All Climate 5w30 in it. I might give 5w40 a shot. However I do have a question. If I use 5w40 in Summer, would there be a problem in using 5w30 during the cooler months?
Is there an issue using a thicker oil and then going to a thinner oil afterwards?
Not at all, I actually did something similar to that a few times. Ran RL 5w30 in the summer and then RL 0w20 in the winter. Definitely helped with cold start piston slap in the winter and the extra film strength was good in the summer, especially when towing.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

As far as I know, the 6.4 keeps the current ZF transmission, the power line is only for the diesel option. They used to have HO/SO, but now the HO is the only option in both 2500 and 3500 and gets the 8 speed powerline. Only real difference is the ability to handle more torque vs the current 8 speed ZF and possibly some PTO differences.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cooler months in Dubai average about 75 degrees F so you really don't have to use thinner oil at all if you don't want to but switching back and forth is not a problem.

Your cooler months are the summer average high temps here.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

It depends how sensitive your Hemi is to oil flow rate. Generically, there is no issue changing oil viscosities as long as they are proper for your application conditions (ambient temp, truck duty cycle loading).

Some members report low oil flow issues below 50F with cold starts (lifter ticking). Some have gone to higher flow oil pumps. Some have increased idle speed back to what once was normal (750 rpm). Some shut off engine at high rpm (1,000 rpm) to pump up lifters prior to shutdown. It has also been shown that oversize synthetic oil filters help, even though technically they should make no difference to a "constant volume" gerotor oil pump. Some pre-lube the oil galleys by cranking engine without starting for several cycles (I do this). Some go all the way and add an auxiliary pre-lube external oil pump and turn on without cranking the engine. Some add oil pan heater to keep using "summer" (higher) viscosity oil during the winter (this doesn't address leaving the vehicle where there are no plug-ins....engines will be near ambient within an hour after shutdown).

So, here's the thing - low viscosity oil is ONLY important during cold ambient startup, and is most affected by colder ambient air and using high ester synthetic base oil (Red Line).

There is no single answer for all users in any area of the globe. Red Line still seems to be the gold standard for Hemi valvetrain lubrication, bar none. 5W-30 comes closest to most applications. Where it is cold, we start discussing 0W and / or combinations of oil flow improvements such as mentioned above.

Where it is very hot ambient, and / or heavy tow loading, SAE 40 summer weight comes into play due to higher bearing and cylinder loads. Heavy Duty trucks have oil cooler radiators to keep oil temp from getting to high, I saw recently that half ton trucks did not. So adding an oil cooler to a half ton in high ambient would be immensely helpful.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As far as I know, the 6.4 keeps the current ZF transmission, the power line is only for the diesel option. They used to have HO/SO, but now the HO is the only option in both 2500 and 3500 and gets the 8 speed powerline. Only real difference is the ability to handle more torque vs the current 8 speed ZF and possibly some PTO differences.
maybe all 2500's? would be cool? maybe Corey would finally jump up to the 2500. @Hemi395 there is at least potential for the 2500 to be one of the best pickups ever made? I say potential, cant wait to see what 2025 looks like. this ain't the zf8 in the 1500's that's for sure.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@HK1837 Maybe you could use a full synthetic from Penrite and switch to a 5000kms change intervals as a cheaper alternative to Redline.
Penrite looks like good stuff.

As much as I am a fan of Redline, I do have to concede that my engine still sounds just as good with Valvoline All Climate 5w30 and so far don't see anything to complain about. The bonus is that it is cheap. 16 litres for 78 USD sounds like a good deal to me.

They are talking about diesels in that thread.

Penrite do make a 5W-30 full synthetic suitable for a Hemi. Specs are similar to the semi-syn:

This is what Penrite specify for the Hemi: