Votes: 405 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 165 5.9%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,007 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 673 23.9%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are talking about diesels in that thread.

Penrite do make a 5W-30 full synthetic suitable for a Hemi. Specs are similar to the semi-syn:

This is what Penrite specify for the Hemi:

I know Roothy swears by Penrite on his Toyotas.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just heard a tick faint tick coming from my truck. It was on hot idle. It could be the header bolts again. Doesn't sound as noisy as lifters.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
maybe all 2500's? would be cool? maybe Corey would finally jump up to the 2500. @Hemi395 there is at least potential for the 2500 to be one of the best pickups ever made? I say potential, cant wait to see what 2025 looks like. this ain't the zf8 in the 1500's that's for sure.

That's interesting, it's the first time I've read "across all models", everything else I've read suggested the powerline was just for the cummins unless I've just been reading it wrong all along.

Who knows, but the 2500 already has the excellent 8 speed ZF behind the 6.4 since 2019 and the "4.5 gen" came out. I know from reading several reports here that I wouldn't buy older than that with the 6 speed.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Theres video from rams proving grounds in 2016 of them testing a ram 2500 cummins with the zf8 powerline. Rumors are either the zf8 powerline or allison 9 speed but the rumors are now heavily favoring the ZF. they also say they will no longer have a standard output and high output engine option. Just one power level

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Haven't heard anything about gas motors for HD Rams.

I'd wager the CEO is $hitting bricks about the "hurricane" w*h*i*z motor - outrageously expensive to fix. Because..... (wait for it).......it will never fail!

Yeah, yeah....that's it!

goopengineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 HEMI
Haven't heard anything about gas motors for HD Rams.

I'd wager the CEO is $hitting bricks about the "hurricane" w*h*i*z motor - outrageously expensive to fix. Because..... (wait for it).......it will never fail!

Yeah, yeah....that's it!
I'm actually considering a new 2025, once interest rates come down a bit. Not that it's my first option over a HEMI, but the 2024 trucks are just as expensive, and harder to find. Do you think the I6 Hurricane is that bad?

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm actually considering a new 2025, once interest rates come down a bit. Not that it's my first option over a HEMI, but the 2024 trucks are just as expensive, and harder to find. Do you think the I6 Hurricane is that bad?
I think there are a few threads already that are asking that very question.

Personally, I would prefer to discuss what would be best engine oil for the Hurricane. I'm leaning towards 0w40, 5w40 for hot climates.

Rustypipes12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Control system, royal purple, or valvoline synpower? Which would you or do you use? Also is the oil change message triggered by a specific mileage engine hour or what?

Sent from my LT26w using Tapatalk 2
I have an '09 RAMTRX4 with 84000 miles on it. Most of those miles were either with the truck loaded up, towing something or being taken somewhere most people won't go. Now that I'm retired it's seeing a lot more highway miles. I originally took it to the dealer because I had lifetime free oil changes. after 15 years they started giving me a hard time because I took it in every 3000 miles and they told me I only needed to bring it in every 5000. I started doing my own changes now that I have time (and don't particularly trust the dealer). I use NAPA (Valvoline) 5w20 semi-synthetic with 10 oz. of liquid Moly. I'm not sure why Dodge was recommending the semi synthetic oil but I may try switching to full since it's on sale pretty often.

goopengineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.7 HEMI
I think there are a few threads already that are asking that very question.

Personally, I would prefer to discuss what would be best engine oil for the Hurricane. I'm leaning towards 0w40, 5w40 for hot climates.
So, the low Standard Ouput engine calls for 0W-20 and the High Output calls for 0W-40. Personally, I would run either HPL 0W-40 or Red Line 5W-30 in either of them. Or Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 if money was tight. PUP 0W-40 and AMSOIL SS 0W-40 are also very good choices IMHO. I believe they recommend 0W-20 in that engine because of a better CAFE rating they get, however, I don't see it being a good idea in the long run. Of course, as you suggested, 5W-40 and other varieties are good as well. Red Line still has that Mistique for me though, it's special.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Any first-of engine is to be avoided for at least three years, unless you enjoy being part of umcompensated customer field quality tests.

The architecture of this engine is not for durability - it is for fuel efficiency. If you don't put on many miles and don't tow, it won't matter. It's an expensive grocery-getter, I wouldn't buy a truck if I didn't need one.

A recent video showed it is near impossible to repair. Start with the entire truck cab having to be removed just to get at it.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wal-Mart's SuperTech. Ran it in a select group of fleet vehicles. No issues. We had the same Pentastar failures as the vehicles running national brand oil. No discernable performance difference (sludge, early lifter/rocker failures, leaks). It's cheap, runs 7500 miles like the rest of them. Maybe if you ran your engine 500k plus there would be a small performance edge on HIGH END oil, but in my little test group, 250k was about the normal life expectancy for a service vehicle. By that time it was worn out from being in the service life, idling, and about 9 million start/stop cycles. I've seen some scienced results comparing SuperTech to other national brands. It loses, but by a SMALL margin. Maybe this has been covered already, but I'm not reading the previous 2586 pages of comments to find out :)

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any one looking to stock up on pup 5w30 amazon has 3-5 quart jugs for $61.64. Only thing is it says it won't ship for a month. At $4.10 a quart I ordered some anyways since thats what I put in my work car and the wife's suburban.

Also received 12 quarts of redline 5w30 for the truck from elite race fab. I ordered late Friday night and they showed up yesterday morning. I still have 3 quarts of 0w30 I plan on mixing in for my "winter" oil change. So 3quarts 0w30 and 4 5w30 and I'm hoping for no piston slap this winter.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Any one looking to stock up on pup 5w30 amazon has 3-5 quart jugs for $61.64. Only thing is it says it won't ship for a month. At $4.10 a quart I ordered some anyways since thats what I put in my work car and the wife's suburban.

Also received 12 quarts of redline 5w30 for the truck from elite race fab. I ordered late Friday night and they showed up yesterday morning. I still have 3 quarts of 0w30 I plan on mixing in for my "winter" oil change. So 3quarts 0w30 and 4 5w30 and I'm hoping for no piston slap this winter.

I don't get that EliteRaceFab site - some of us never received orders and cancelled, others think it's great.

They're nothing if not inconsistent. When I last looked, they were out of RL 5W-30 like everywhere else.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I don't get that EliteRaceFab site - some of us never received orders and cancelled, others think it's great.

They're nothing if not inconsistent. When I last looked, they were out of RL 5W-30 like everywhere else.

I just looked online and Red Line 5w/30 is in stock, Amazon, e-Bay, Red Line Direct, etc.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I emailed them and even though their website said they were sold out the guy who emailed me back said they had 50 quarts at one of their warehouses. Very inconsistent they are. That's for sure. And until I get burned by them I'll still keep using them. Or if their prices go up.

There's other sites that sell redline, but I don't want to be the guinea pig trying to find out who's legit.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

When Redline was not available here, I did purchase from them and received the oil in good time. However with the shipping, the total cost came to double the cost of getting it from the local dealer distributor here.
Hence why I'm on the look out for cheaper and more readily available alternatives.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since we outside the U.S.A. have access to different products, I thought that it would be good to research and provide as much info on them.
That way those who don't have access to Redline, will have options.

This is the VOA for Shell Helix Ultra 0w40
image1(4).jpeg

Shell Helix Ultra 0W40 UOA
image0(4).jpeg

Since nothing was available on BITOG, I went to the Russians.

Curmudgeon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So it's been about 200 miles since I drained out the PUP 5w-20 and
replaced it with Red Line 5w-30. I also replaced the RP 20-820 filter
with a Purolator Boss PBL24651 filter.

My Hemi isn't making any noise, no tick/slap, it was just at 4000 mi
since last OCI and I wanted to get a UOA, and I wanted to get the Red
Line in the engine while it was still hot outside.

I have noticed one thing, and I can't say whether this is the new oil
or the new filter (or both?) As long as I have had it my engine oil
pressure has been around 33 psi - 35 psi at hot idle, and would rise
to as much as 66 psi when hot and the engine rpm hit around 4000.

Today I noticed my hot idle held around 44 psi and only once dropped
as low as 39 psi, and no lower.
This was at the factory 500 rpm, coolant temp was 201F, engine oil temp
was 212F. I also noticed that the oil pressure would not go above 60 psi
even when holding at 4000 rpm.

So the oil pressure is noticeably higher at all engine speeds except
very high rpm. Since most of my driving involves running errands
and seeing engine speeds around 1500 - 2000 rpm I'm happy to see
the bump in pressure. I think. I'm no engineer, but I suspect an
increase in oil pressure beats a noticeable decrease.

I'll keep watching to see if anything changes, but I doubt anything will.
My Hemi has been rather consistent about these things.

Just noticed this today and thought I would post it. I'm trying to do
2 things at once right now so I hope any of this makes sense.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
So it's been about 200 miles since I drained out the PUP 5w-20 and
replaced it with Red Line 5w-30. I also replaced the RP 20-820 filter
with a Purolator Boss PBL24651 filter.

My Hemi isn't making any noise, no tick/slap, it was just at 4000 mi
since last OCI and I wanted to get a UOA, and I wanted to get the Red
Line in the engine while it was still hot outside.

I have noticed one thing, and I can't say whether this is the new oil
or the new filter (or both?) As long as I have had it my engine oil
pressure has been around 33 psi - 35 psi at hot idle, and would rise
to as much as 66 psi when hot and the engine rpm hit around 4000.

Today I noticed my hot idle held around 44 psi and only once dropped
as low as 39 psi, and no lower.
This was at the factory 500 rpm, coolant temp was 201F, engine oil temp
was 212F. I also noticed that the oil pressure would not go above 60 psi
even when holding at 4000 rpm.

So the oil pressure is noticeably higher at all engine speeds except
very high rpm. Since most of my driving involves running errands
and seeing engine speeds around 1500 - 2000 rpm I'm happy to see
the bump in pressure. I think. I'm no engineer, but I suspect an
increase in oil pressure beats a noticeable decrease.

I'll keep watching to see if anything changes, but I doubt anything will.
My Hemi has been rather consistent about these things.

Just noticed this today and thought I would post it. I'm trying to do
2 things at once right now so I hope any of this makes sense.

My 2017 HEMI 5.7 at "hot idle" after an 30 mile "round trip" errand run.

•Red Line 5w/30 and Purolator Boss PBL 24651 oil filter•

Attachments

• IMG_20240701_111636896_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240701_111636896_HDR.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 13