Think It's Totaled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I know how you feel, no matter how good they repair your truck it will never feel the same
I have learned thru past accidents to have the best Insurance Co. Autobody shops hands are tied how good, how quality they repair it based on what insurance co you have, now I got the best, I don't want to give you the name of my insurance co ( I don't want to offend anyone ) but you can find out yourself by talking to autobody shop owners and they will tell you the best.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
That sucks! Glad your good tho. I had this happen on my 18 laramie about 5 months ago. Kid pulled out into traffic and took out the pass front corner pulling through it to the front pass door. Destroyed the wheel and insurance totaled it as the front frame was tweaked from the lower control arm. I was shocked as I thought it looked fine and I had no air bags or anything (plus I was only doing 23mph). That 18 only had 60k miles but the insurance capped repair around 26k and once it was over its totaled. They frame alone was 28k replacement plus the rest put me around 35k. Insurance paid out 33k for the truck based on value and I owed 20k so I got something like 13k for a new vehicle. Getting into a new truck hurts bc of price... I was way ahead as my 18 laramie was like $43k out the door after rebates back in 2018... my new 24 big horn built to serve was $63k for less options but I got the hemi with etorque. I didn't want the hurricane and I didn't really want the etorque either but all 1500s with the hemi starting in 23 come with them. I put down 5k and my lease payments are double what the 18 laramie was for less truck. A used truck would have been more than what I got after the total but since yours was paid off your payout will be better than mine. It sucks bc I got stuck with a new higher payment for a longer period of time and the kid got nothing.

Good luck in your search, the new 5th gens are nice not gona lie compared to my 18 its a completely diff ride (suspension is great but it could be my HD factory shocks on the BTS). Love the inside 1000x better and the outside is growing on me. Etorque is fine I guess, I disable stop start and MDS almost everytime I'm in the truck but its nice to know if your coming to a long light that you can quickly go from manual 8 to Drive before coming to a stop and have the stop start kill the engine to save gas. I also think it could help with the oiling issues and cam/lifter failure. I do feel like my MPG has taken a hit tho... no real increase over my 18 and maybe even worse. 330mile round trip on Saturday and my average MPG was 18.5-18.9 and 90% highway. My 18 would do 19-20mpg similar driving.

olscout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Just my .02....my buddy just wrecked his 14 F150, crew cab, 6.5 foot bed, 4x4, 5.0. A hard to find combination. He hit an aluminum light pole and rode over the concrete base. Body wise, it needs the front bumper chrome outer cover, plastic trim, and a complete grille. All door and fender gaps are perfect, no kinks in the roof. His steering wheel is about 2" off center, and you can tell the driver's side front wheel caster is out, looks like the control arm is bent. No blown bags either, drives normally other than the wheel being off center.
Insurance adjuster looked at it and wants to total it...right now. They're basically demanding that he turn the truck over to them. Since he bought at the peak of the pricing stupidity, he's underwater if he takes their payoff. What the adjuster doesn't know is that he's not Joe Sxxt the Ragman.....he's an ASE certified master tech in all areas, who has a wheel alignment rack in his personal shop. Adjuster said front axle housing is cracked, replacement is $4400....no cracks or damage. Said frame is bent....frame rode over the concrete base, it's scarred but not bent, crossmember mount is bent but can be straightened with a pipe wrench...$3500 for a new frame.
It's gonna be interesting when he meets the adjuster face to face for the first time, he's 99% sure they're trying to total the truck because it's actually an easy fix and the adjuster has someone in mind to sell it to.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know how you feel, no matter how good they repair your truck it will never feel the same
I have learned thru past accidents to have the best Insurance Co. Autobody shops hands are tied how good, how quality they repair it based on what insurance co you have, now I got the best, I don't want to give you the name of my insurance co ( I don't want to offend anyone ) but you can find out yourself by talking to autobody shop owners and they will tell you the best.

I can tell you ,and the OP what I think is the best insurance . Allstate ,hands down . I have been with them for right at 50 years . Not once have I had a problem with them . Could I get insurance cheaper elsewhere , maybe. Don't care . I could go on about what they have covered during this 50 years , it's a long list . Only thing they ever did was raise my deductible from $50 to $100 on comprehensive ,because I had to turn in three or four claims in a pretty short period of time . I believe that deductible lasted about 2 years without any claims went back to $50 .

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well boys,

She's cooked...

$28,441.83 for the preliminary estimate

And that is not including new shocks or struts or whatever aftermarket parts that will need to be replaced.

Frame damaged beyond repair. Panhard bar did bend the mounting bracket, and the upper swaybar endlink bracket is nearly sheared off of the frame.

Haven't heard from insurance yet but I suspect it will be declared a total loss.

Pretty bummed!

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2023
Engine
4.7L & 3.0L EcoD
Glad you are ok. T-Bone collisions...ack.

The reason I'm driving a 2023 Ram 1500 right now is a few months ago the wife was in an accident which totaled our 2014 F150 5.0L Crew Cab with 100K miles on it. Full air bag deployment and everything in front of the radiator, lights, grill, bumper, etc was demolished. Everything mechanical behind the radiator, ie: the rest of the truck, was untouched.

Insurance totaled the truck. What they gave me for it was astounding. Almost 60% of what I originally paid for the truck in 2014! I didn't argue with them.

I hope someone in salvage enjoys that immaculately maintained Coyote motor and 6R80 transmission.:(

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you are ok. T-Bone collisions...ack.

The reason I'm driving a 2023 Ram 1500 right now is a few months ago the wife was in an accident which totaled our 2014 F150 5.0L Crew Cab with 100K miles on it. Full air bag deployment and everything in front of the radiator, lights, grill, bumper, etc was demolished. Everything mechanical behind the radiator, ie: the rest of the truck, was untouched.

Insurance totaled the truck. What they gave me for it was astounding. Almost 60% of what I originally paid for the truck in 2014! I didn't argue with them.

I hope someone in salvage enjoys that immaculately maintained Coyote motor and 6R80 transmission.:(
Yeah they do! Glad she is okay too!

I feel the exact same way, someone is going to get a really well maintained powertrain out of my truck. Guess we will see in the next few days though.

I am going to yank everything I can out of it though. Amps and speakers and center console and a ton more. I have a ton of stock parts to put back on it.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah they do! Glad glad she is okay too!

I feel the exact same way, someone is going to get a really well maintained powertrain out of my truck. Guess we will see in the next few days though.

I am going to yank everything I can out of it though. Amps and speakers and center console and a ton more. I have a ton of stock parts to put back on it.
I'd run it through a local body shop,and see what they quote you on fixing the frame damage,as it sounds like some welding/straightening would put the frame back in shape G.You might even come out ahead if you buy it back,and fix it yourself.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd run it through a local body shop,and see what they quote you on fixing the frame damage,as it sounds like some welding/straightening would put the frame back in shape G.You might even come out ahead if you buy it back,and fix it yourself.
I wonder why they can't just put it on a frame jig and fix it. Surprisingly a new frame is $5,475. They list the entire axle assembly at $5,505. We could get creative to fix this thing for sure. Gotta do some thinking and wait to hear from insurance.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder why they can't just put it on a frame jig and fix it. Surprisingly a new frame is $5,475. They list the entire axle assembly at $5,505. We could get creative to fix this thing for sure. Gotta do some thinking and wait to hear from insurance.
I'm firmly convinced most insurance companies are gouge and screw outfits these days,lol

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm firmly convinced most insurance companies are gouge and screw outfits these days,lol
100% agreed!

BTW **** Allstate to whoever said they were the best!

Of all the shops I called to schedule quotes 4 shops straight up said not a chance to taking Allstate insurance including the one that built my hotrod Dakota and did all that custom work for me. A long time friend of the family. They said that Allstate doesn't pay them and they want nothing to do with them.

When this is all said and done I'll talk about some of the BS these guys have tried already

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a damaged tailgate & rear bumper.
Call insurance, they sent out an adjuster & he just glanced at it, never talked to anyone at the Body Shop.

I asked if my insurance payments would go up, he Hemmed & Hawed & mumbled something that i could not hear.

I told him that i would pay to fix it myself, he then said that he had to be paid for his estimate.

I plainly stated that i would not be the one paying him, he left a might irritated

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I can tell you ,and the OP what I think is the best insurance . Allstate ,hands down . I have been with them for right at 50 years . Not once have I had a problem with them . Could I get insurance cheaper elsewhere , maybe. Don't care . I could go on about what they have covered during this 50 years , it's a long list . Only thing they ever did was raise my deductible from $50 to $100 on comprehensive ,because I had to turn in three or four claims in a pretty short period of time . I believe that deductible lasted about 2 years without any claims went back to $50 .

Yeah they do! Glad she is okay too!

Do it before they come and get it ...lol.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
100% agreed!

BTW **** Allstate to whoever said they were the best!

Of all the shops I called to schedule quotes 4 shops straight up said not a chance to taking Allstate insurance including the one that built my hotrod Dakota and did all that custom work for me. A long time friend of the family. They said that Allstate doesn't pay them and they want nothing to do with them.

When this is all said and done I'll talk about some of the BS these guys have tried already

Yes, Allstate is a big joke.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

Lol, didn't matter in my case, they just made repairs above the cost of replacing my truck!