Throttle controllers; Worth it? Generic controller vs Name brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericgray1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am interested in a throttle controller for my 2017 Ram 1500 5.7

Firstly, is it worth it? Was there a significant difference?

I am also looking for anyone with first-hand experience between the generic, for example the 9 Drive on Amazon vs the name brand, such as Pedal Commander. Have you tried both styles? Did one controller do better than the other? Was the difference in performance between the two worth the difference in cost?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

I am also looking for anyone with first-hand experience between the generic, for example the 9 Drive on Amazon vs the name brand, such as Pedal Commander. Have you tried both styles? Did one controller do better than the other? Was the difference in performance between the two worth the difference in cost?
Maybe try working through the 20 pages of existing posts. If that doesn't answer all your questions, not sure what else to add.

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 10-41-57 Search results for query pedal commander DODGE RAM FORUM - D...png

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We offer and highly recommend the Banks PedalMonster! Does what is says and it is very reliable. IF it should ever fail it has built a built in safety so you are not left in limp mode or worse, no throttle control. Message me if you would like a quote

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran a cheap 9drive off Amazon for 3.5 years before it faulted out while driving down the highway. Was cruising at about 70-75 with the cruise control on and the dash lit up with throttle control errors. Truck began to slowly slow down. Started looking for the next exit to get off and either reset or remove it. After about 3 miles I finally hit the exit and was down to about 50-55 mph and getting passed by everyone and had the throttle floored. Had to cross a road to get into a gas station parking lot and decided to just reset the code and remove the controller all together since I was on day one of my trip and 600 miles in with about 2500 to go. Next morning I bought the banks because of the built in bypass. It was also cheaper than the pedal commander at the time. Since then, no issues. I probably could have pulled over and reset the codes and restarted the truck and been fine, but after that, I just didn't trust it anymore.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran a cheap 9drive off Amazon for 3.5 years before it faulted out while driving down the highway. Was cruising at about 70-75 with the cruise control on and the dash lit up with throttle control errors. Truck began to slowly slow down. Started looking for the next exit to get off and either reset or remove it. After about 3 miles I finally hit the exit and was down to about 50-55 mph and getting passed by everyone and had the throttle floored. Had to cross a road to get into a gas station parking lot and decided to just reset the code and remove the controller all together since I was on day one of my trip and 600 miles in with about 2500 to go. Next morning I bought the banks because of the built in bypass. It was also cheaper than the pedal commander at the time. Since then, no issues. I probably could have pulled over and reset the codes and restarted the truck and been fine, but after that, I just didn't trust it anymore.

How well did the cheapo 8drive perform for those 3.5 years and was the Banks remarkably better?

I would much prefer the Banks unit but don't have the budget for it.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How well did the cheapo 8drive perform for those 3.5 years and was the Banks remarkably better?

I would much prefer the Banks unit but don't have the budget for it.

It was ok. There's no real difference between them, other than when in reverse, it reverts back to stock so you don't back through a wall or something.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was ok. There's no real difference between them, other than when in reverse, it reverts back to stock so you don't back through a wall or something.

Thanks, I recall that from reading about the Banks unit, a great feature.
Good to know they're similar enough besides the reverse and default off for errors.

I'd like a wee enhancement to the throttle but nothing too crazy. I mostly drive like an old fart unless I get caught behind someone on the highway that can't hold a steady speed. :cool:

And, occasionally when I visit the big city of Ottawa for supplies, it would be great to flick a switch and enhance the throttle response time. Sometimes on the road, a good defence requires a bit of offence.

Most fools on the road, especially in the city, drive their cars like playing a video game where physics has no consequence.

Last edited:

zrock

Reaction score
Thanks, I recall that from reading about the Banks unit, a great feature.
Good to know they're similar enough besides the reverse and default off for errors.

I'd like a wee enhancement to the throttle but nothing too crazy. I mostly drive like an old fart unless I get caught behind someone on the highway that can't hold a steady speed. :cool:

not sure why you would need one for that, i find these truck get up and go when you mash the throttle especially with the traction control off. If i mash it when passing i can almost break the rear end loose and have the needle barred by the time i go around them..

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
PM_Graph.gif

Banks' graph. Note that at no point in the curve could you not have the same response by *pushing the pedal down further faster*, which is free. Of course it feels faster when 20% of the pedal movement now equates to 80% of the pedal movement. Still can't go past 100%, though, so what you're doing is reducing granularity and getting that placebo effect of "wow, I only pushed the pedal 20% but it's so much more responsive than it used to be at 20%."

Someone will be along to talk about torque management and throttle opening delay reductions soon to tell me how wrong I am. I'm always willing to learn, but so far it's all radio silence when you ask how a device between the pedal and the position sensor is able to affect the computer making those decisions based on the reading from the sensor. It is only getting one variable, signal strength from the pedal, which can't go over 100%. Also radio silence on why if they make your vehicle quicker vs *feel* quicker, why none of the makers show any instrumented tests showing this? No lap reduction times, etc. In aftermarket parts, if something adds power or makes your vehicle measurably faster that's *always* the headline.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
View attachment 548360

Banks' graph. Note that at no point in the curve could you not have the same response by *pushing the pedal down further faster*, which is free. Of course it feels faster when 20% of the pedal movement now equates to 80% of the pedal movement. Still can't go past 100%, though, so what you're doing is reducing granularity and getting that placebo effect of "wow, I only pushed the pedal 20% but it's so much more responsive than it used to be at 20%."

Someone will be along to talk about torque management and throttle opening delay reductions soon to tell me how wrong I am. I'm always willing to learn, but so far it's all radio silence when you ask how a device between the pedal and the position sensor is able to affect the computer making those decisions based on the reading from the sensor. It is only getting one variable, signal strength from the pedal, which can't go over 100%. Also radio silence on why if they make your vehicle quicker vs *feel* quicker, why none of the makers show any instrumented tests showing this? No lap reduction times, etc. In aftermarket parts, if something adds power or makes your vehicle measurably faster that's *always* the headline.
Spot on. It is also just one more add on piece of electronics to go bad, for no real gain. Banks sells a LOT of Placebo add on parts, especially in the diesel market.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have a 9 drive and I really like it. 9 drive is made by multiple companies and isn't a brand to my knowledge. That said it works well and I like mine on 2.9, which is the sport mode on highest setting. Pedal was a little too touchy for my liking on 3 settings. Didn't experiment with every level though. I like 2.9 so I keep it there. Not hard to disconnect if it fails.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 9 drive and I really like it. 9 drive is made by multiple companies and isn't a brand to my knowledge. That said it works well and I like mine on 2.9, which is the sport mode on highest setting. Pedal was a little too touchy for my liking on 3 settings. Didn't experiment with every level though. I like 2.9 so I keep it there. Not hard to disconnect if it fails.
It might be hard to disconnect when it fails halfway through an intersection and you get t-boned in the drivers door.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It might be hard to disconnect when it fails halfway through an intersection and you get t-boned in the drivers door.
Could stall on said intersection and be t-boned for any number of reasons. The 9 drive being one of many reasons this could happen. My old 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 stalled alot towards the end before I traded it in. Never figured out why, it was intermittent and didn't happen when I brought it in for trade -in. So, Disclaimer " you could stall and be t-boned, but could also be hit by a car at the grocery store".

ezmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Speedform throttle controller only costs $60.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L non-Etorque
There’s a whole lot of misinformation here. Anyone who has never tried a throttle controller only has their own assumptions to offer. Having used both a Pedal Commander and Banks Pedal Monster I would recommend the Banks version. The main reason being that the PC is powered off the throttle pedal power circuit , which is not rated for powering external devices. The Pedal Monster is powered off the OBDII port. If the PC fails you can lose all throttle control. This is how nearly all throttle controllers are powered. But if the Pedal Monster fails your throttle response will revert back to stock. Since the cost of both devices is nearly the same I would recommend the Power Monster if you are deciding which one to buy.

I will also say that neither device will remove all throttle lag. They just reduce the duration of it. The higher settings will speed up the throttle plate opening after this lag.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There’s a whole lot of misinformation here. Anyone who has never tried a throttle controller only has their own assumptions to offer. Having used both a Pedal Commander and Banks Pedal Monster I would recommend the Banks version. The main reason being that the PC is powered off the throttle pedal power circuit , which is not rated for powering external devices. The Pedal Monster is powered off the OBDII port. If the PC fails you can lose all throttle control. This is how nearly all throttle controllers are powered. But if the Pedal Monster fails your throttle response will revert back to stock. Since the cost of both devices is nearly the same I would recommend the Power Monster if you are deciding which one to buy.

I will also say that neither device will remove all throttle lag. They just reduce the duration of it. The higher settings will speed up the throttle plate opening after this lag.
Being someone that has had a throttle device fail while driving, it's not fun. That's why I went with banks the second time.
And as you said, it does change the way the truck drives. It's not simply opening the throttle more, it definitely seems to open it more, faster. Anyone that doesn't feel they're worth it, doesn't have to buy one. Just from my experience, it makes it more enjoyable to drive.
Now, I will say that I did have a 2010 Silverado with the anemic 4.8 and 3.42 gears (4l60). I tried a throttle controller on that and barely noticed a difference. But, I think that was a function of the truck just being slow to begin with. My buddy put it on his truck and noticed a big difference on his 5.3.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

How does the device reduce throttle lag vs stabbing the pedal further? In short, how does the computer upstream know the difference between a stab of 0-80% over .3 seconds based on a pedal controller feeding it that information vs the stock pedal feeding it that information?

What's the difference in times on, say, a 1/8th mile run? If throttle delay is reduced, the throttle opens faster, and that would mean it would necessarily accelerate faster, resulting in decreased times, correct?